Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Announcements, Suggestions, & Feedback
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 23
Default

Well, this policy promotes people only reading the last post and then responding. As a forum member on many sites, this is not the typical posting pattern. I usually don't like to post on a multi-page thread without reading all the history first. However, with your policy, I'm forced to append to old tired threads with hundreds of dead posts preceeding my post. Therefore I must assume everyone is doing that to some extent. So when responding to threads, I will just ignore the 20 old pages and only read the last post or two and respond to that. I mean what would be the point of quoting a 2 month old post and responding to it anyway? That author is very unlikely to even see that I'm responding to his post 2 months later. Again, seems retarded, but you guys seem to like it, so I'll give your approach a try.
__________________
HiFi - Bryston/Dynaudio
Twenty First Century Music Only. Folk, Alt Country, Acoustic Rock, Indie...
jaxwired is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
أمهاتك[وهور]Aura Euphoria
 
Thrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida/Buffalo/CT
Posts: 2,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
Well, this policy promotes people only reading the last post and then responding. As a forum member on many sites, this is not the typical posting pattern. I usually don't like to post on a multi-page thread without reading all the history first. However, with your policy, I'm forced to append to old tired threads with hundreds of dead posts preceeding my post. Therefore I must assume everyone is doing that to some extent. So when responding to threads, I will just ignore the 20 old pages and only read the last post or two and respond to that. I mean what would be the point of quoting a 2 month old post and responding to it anyway? That author is very unlikely to even see that I'm responding to his post 2 months later. Again, seems retarded, but you guys seem to like it, so I'll give your approach a try.
Your entire argument has been based on assumptions. If you take the time to read through a thread, post your ideas and opinions, you will most likely get replies. Just give it a shot.
__________________


Lew Harrison, who looked like an anarchist with his red eyes and fierce black beard, had been writing furiously in one corner of the room. "That's goodóhappiness by the kilowatt," he said. "Buy your happiness the way you buy light."
Thrice is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
Moper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
Well, this policy promotes people only reading the last post and then responding. As a forum member on many sites, this is not the typical posting pattern. I usually don't like to post on a multi-page thread without reading all the history first. However, with your policy, I'm forced to append to old tired threads with hundreds of dead posts preceeding my post. Therefore I must assume everyone is doing that to some extent. So when responding to threads, I will just ignore the 20 old pages and only read the last post or two and respond to that. I mean what would be the point of quoting a 2 month old post and responding to it anyway? That author is very unlikely to even see that I'm responding to his post 2 months later. Again, seems retarded, but you guys seem to like it, so I'll give your approach a try.
Do you want information or just a good old chat?

If you want information (and that would be what makes the most sense) just read the bloody "20 pages". If you want a chat use the shoutbox.

We get people like you everyday, getting mad because their thread got deleted and barging in like they own the place. If you're going to criticise one of the fundamental rules of this forum avoid the word retarded, being disrespectful won't get you any friends.

New users are always welcome, multiple threads on the same subject clutter the website. Take a moment to read the forum rules (you obviously didn't) and search (or perhaps ask a mod) if a thread on the subject already exists.

As Thrice already said, if you add your question to the appropriate thread (and if it hasn't been answered already, in some way), you'll most likely get a response.
The Fascinating Turnip is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unchained Ballad View Post
Do you want information or just a good old chat?

If you want information (and that would be what makes the most sense) just read the bloody "20 pages". If you want a chat use the shoutbox.

We get people like you everyday, getting mad because their thread got deleted and barging in like they own the place. If you're going to criticise one of the fundamental rules of this forum avoid the word retarded, being disrespectful won't get you any friends.

New users are always welcome, multiple threads on the same subject clutter the website. Take a moment to read the forum rules (you obviously didn't) and search (or perhaps ask a mod) if a thread on the subject already exists.

As Thrice already said, if you add your question to the appropriate thread (and if it hasn't been answered already, in some way), you'll most likely get a response.
I don't want information. I almost never do. I don't come here for information. I am only interested in back and forth debate and discussion. Reading old posts for information has zero interest for me. Now maybe this is atypical. Probably there is a mixture of both types of members. I suspect many people that are just interested in information don't even join, they just lurk. I'm sure there's tons of that. I would also suspect that the people that join are more often interested in debate and discussion like me, but that's just a guess.

So, for someone like myself that doesn't care about the valuable info contained in the prior 20 pages and is just looking for discussion, appending to old threads is not very appealing. Hopefully you can see that.

However, I can understand your point of view. Sorry if I offended anyone. None of you seem retarded to me. However, I still don't like the policy.

Just to be clear, in future, before posting a new topic, I should search to see if there are similar active threads and just append to those, correct?

Ok, but you can't make me read them...
__________________
HiFi - Bryston/Dynaudio
Twenty First Century Music Only. Folk, Alt Country, Acoustic Rock, Indie...
jaxwired is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

Things aren't going to change because you want them to. There are plenty of long standing members here who get on just fine the way things are. I'm not getting what the big deal is...not only does no one care about a topic that has been posted on many times before, but now you are giving us all a horrible impression of you. First impressions stick. Especially on an internet forum.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Things aren't going to change because you want them to. There are plenty of long standing members here who get on just fine the way things are. I'm not getting what the big deal is...not only does no one care about a topic that has been posted on many times before, but now you are giving us all a horrible impression of you. First impressions stick. Especially on an internet forum.
This is the spot for feedback. I'm giving feedback. I don't think any site should dismiss feedback from new members. Actually, sometimes new members have a perspective that is more valuable than long term members.
__________________
HiFi - Bryston/Dynaudio
Twenty First Century Music Only. Folk, Alt Country, Acoustic Rock, Indie...
jaxwired is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

Wow, good luck convincing people of that on a music forum. Have you ever talked to a music snob? We are the most stubborn people out there.

Feedback is fine, and everyone who posted in here took the time to read your posts. Now that we have listened, everyone here is telling you: this ain't gonna change.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
Wow, good luck convincing people of that on a music forum. Have you ever talked to a music snob? We are the most stubborn people out there.

Feedback is fine, and everyone who posted in here took the time to read your posts. Now that we have listened, everyone here is telling you: this ain't gonna change.
I've already conceeded. Didn't think it would change when I started this. However, it is worth discussing. At least, now I know your thoughts on this subject. And hopefully, at least you can see why from my perspective I don't like the policy. Who knows, maybe someday someone else will make the same argument.
__________________
HiFi - Bryston/Dynaudio
Twenty First Century Music Only. Folk, Alt Country, Acoustic Rock, Indie...
jaxwired is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #19 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

If you are done, then I'm going to close this thread. In case you feel there is more you want to say, I'll wait till you give me the ok.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline  
Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

Ok, well I'll take the lack of posting as you are done. Closed.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.