A note on dealing with spammers - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Announcements, Suggestions, & Feedback
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #31 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,216
Default

Reposting this edit in case you missed it...

Edit: You know, it just occurred to me. You could do an outreach thing for hobos where you find some that can play instruments and form some kind of panhandling group to raise money for crack and 40 ounces.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #32 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

I saw it when I quoted your post. Reasonable idea, but where would the instruments come from?

Side note: I also work at a mortgage company for drug money, maybe we can get hobos in on that too?
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #33 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I saw it when I quoted your post. Reasonable idea, but where would the instruments come from?

Side note: I also work at a mortgage company for drug money, maybe we can get hobos in on that too?
I'd say your own instruments -- assuming you have enough to go around -- but there'd be the issue of them stealing them and selling them for crack and 40 ounces. It would probably undermine the atmosphere of the project to somehow secure them to lamp posts or have friends standing by with tazers, but I can't think of anyway to deal with the problem in a way that made it look like you didn't trust any farther than you could throw them.

Perhaps "borrowing" instruments from whatever music program you have at your college?

And I imagine having hobos work at a mortgage company might give them Nam-style flashbacks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #34 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 26,971
Default

Just break up a chair, hand four of them a leg each for percussion, one can use the seat as a kind of tambourine maybe and then the back can be like a washboard. Almost a full band, and who cares if the instruments go missing?

Hey: should I market this idea?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #35 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 2,014
Default Spambots

What sort of filters does MusicBanter use to prevent Spambots from gaining membership?

Today, as usual, I saw lots of presumably Spambot members that had been banned. The number of disabled Spambot accounts online outnumbered actual human members by almost 3 to 1.

So I am wondering if moderators are having to disable the Spambot accounts, or if it is an automated system.

Does the forum not only challenge new joining members with CAPTCHA but also with verification questions to prevent Spambots from even becoming new members?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #36 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,216
Default

My plan to turn Spambots into weapons of warfare to invade and conquer the servers of rival music forums would solve this problem. These SAMbots (Surface-to-Asshole-Missiles) would become valued members of the site.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #37 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 2,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
My plan to turn Spambots into weapons of warfare to invade and conquer the servers of rival music forums would solve this problem. These SAMbots (Surface-to-Asshole-Missiles) would become valued members of the site.
Maybe that already happened, because it looks to me like Muzicforums is GONE!

I remember fondly when there was a rivalry between Muzicforums and Musicbanter. One time, one of their mods apparently went berserk and a bunch of their members left, with some showing up here. Now Muzicforums doesn't even appear to exist. Perhaps the SAMbots did them in.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #38 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Maybe that already happened, because it looks to me like Muzicforums is GONE!

I remember fondly when there was a rivalry between Muzicforums and Musicbanter. One time, one of their mods apparently went berserk and a bunch of their members left, with some showing up here. Now Muzicforums doesn't even appear to exist. Perhaps the SAMbots did them in.
Not likely. The SAMbots' purpose is to invade another forum's server and turn them into a vassal state whose purpose is to pay monetary tribute to Music Banter. Destroying their forum would be counter-productive.

My plan is further discussed here...

http://www.musicbanter.com/games-lis...ml#post1635410

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Vote for The Batlord/Justthefacts. We will expand Music Banter's boarders, through swift and overwhelming military force, to include Music Discussions, Music Chat, Drowned in Sound, and any other music forums foolish enough to be on page one of a Yahoo search for "music forum".

If the conquered territories resist, their members will be infracted, and their forums subject to the tyranny of Tore's proposed rule changes. Those who accept their new overlords will be allowed to pay an exorbitant tax, which will be fairly distributed amongst the members of Music Banter (after half is given to the President and Vice President of course).

And finally, we shall declare everlasting war with Google. When our victory is complete, Larry Page and Sergey Brin will be publicly executed.
And here...

http://www.musicbanter.com/games-lis...ml#post1635422

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Instead of banning spambots, they will be repurposed for cyber warfare, and our enemies' servers will become our servers. Their website owners will remain as puppet governors whose only role will be to continue paying to maintain their former sites.

Advameg will be next.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.