Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Classical (https://www.musicbanter.com/classical/)
-   -   Is classical music still relevant today? (https://www.musicbanter.com/classical/71368-classical-music-still-relevant-today.html)

djchameleon 12-07-2016 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1blankmind (Post 1779800)
Here's the problem DJ. You're on a music site that's modded by an Avant-Garde obsessed individual, the sites most popular member listens to extreme metal, and the most popular artist on the site has multiple projects for different kinds of music, none of which you could call mainstream.

If I'm in a conversation with our average music listener and the person says today's music I will assume that individual means what's on the radio. But being on this site, we're not in a conversation with your average music listener. So it seems kind of ridiculous that a moderator of this site would say today's music and not mean it as in music being made/listened to today.

That's not really a problem. The question in the OP specifically addresses that point and I'm pretty sure she meant for this discussion to apply to those outside of our circle. It was meant to talk about the average casual music listener.

Frownland 12-07-2016 09:23 PM

The music enthusiast circle is WAY bigger than you're giving it credit for. Those people don't just all of a sudden stop counting because they're not the lowest common denominator.

TockTockTock 12-10-2016 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djchameleon (Post 1762278)
This thread basically boils down to classical lovers coming to defend their genre. This thread doesn't mean what most people think it means. They read the thread title and are all like "oh hell no". I like classical music myself but I understand that question that Burning Down posed.

...no.

I guess you didn't read any of my points, which explicitly discussed the nature of artistic relevance.

Just give up— you're wrong.

djchameleon 12-11-2016 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cenotaph (Post 1781439)

I guess you didn't read any of my points, which explicitly discussed the nature of artistic relevance.

The initial question posed by BD has nothing to do with artistic relevance though.

Xurtio 12-19-2016 07:02 AM

Is this thread still relevant today?

djchameleon 12-19-2016 07:08 AM

It will be relevant for 3 more years.

Frownland 12-19-2016 08:33 AM

Most people use Facebook and Twitter, not forums. Just because we're in that niche doesn't mean everyone is. This thread was never relevant.

djchameleon 12-19-2016 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frownland (Post 1784970)
Most people use Facebook and Twitter, not forums. Just because we're in that niche doesn't mean everyone is. This thread was never relevant.

You are finally catching on. :clap:

Victor Frankenstein 01-04-2017 01:01 PM

Yeah it's absolutely relevant and I agree with all of you.

But we have to talk even about the role of classical music in the advertising and marketing in general.

In the cinema for example, the use of modern classical pieces is not random, in fact the classical music is the only one that can forwad collectively a lot of feels and tell alone a lot of stories.


A practical example: Forrest Gump opening scene

Blank. 01-04-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Frankenstein (Post 1791168)
Yeah it's absolutely relevant and I agree with all of you.

But we have to talk even about the role of classical music in the advertising and marketing in general.

In the cinema for example, the use of modern classical pieces is not random, in fact the classical music is the only one that can forwad collectively a lot of feels and tell alone a lot of stories.


A practical example: Forrest Gump opening scene

I strongly disagree.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:18 AM.


© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.