Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Country, Folk & World Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #381 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Chives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
it's not really terrible, it's just all over the place, and the fact that there are quite a number of covers on it doesn't help much

i wouldn't really recommend you jumping on it so soon without sampling his other better albums first

his worst album, by his own admission, is Dylan [1973], as he has disowned it, and is mostly outtakes of Self-Portrait
Was he involved in the album's creation or was the record company like "hey we can release anything with Dylan's name on it and it will sell"?

And yeah I wasn't planning on picking up Self Potrait. I don't have enough spare time or money for those kind of hijinks. I figured either Nashville Skyline or Blood on the Tracks would be my next Dylan purchase.
__________________
[My last.fm] [My Tumblr]
Chives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #382 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chives View Post
Was he involved in the album's creation or was the record company like "hey we can release anything with Dylan's name on it and it will sell"?
he was contractually bound to release Dylan, so of coz he wasn't chuffed with it at all

he had very little to do with the songlist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chives View Post
And yeah I wasn't planning on picking up Self Potrait. I don't have enough spare time or money for those kind of hijinks. I figured either Nashville Skyline or Blood on the Tracks would be my next Dylan purchase.
good choices both, though Blood on the Tracks is more "essential"
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #383 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Chives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
he was contractually bound to release Dylan, so of coz he wasn't chuffed with it at all

he had very little to do with the songlist
That's what I figured. Happens to most artists at some point. Even poor Bob isn't invincible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
good choices both, though Blood on the Tracks is more "essential"
I'm tempted to get Nashville Skyline first(I have a thing for textless covers) but I'll probably go with Blood on the Tracks. Although I'm still listening to the mono box set, so I don't even need another Dylan album quite yet.
__________________
[My last.fm] [My Tumblr]
Chives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #384 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chives View Post
That's what I figured. Happens to most artists at some point. Even poor Bob isn't invincible.
it's out of print now, anyway

you probably need to download it or buy used vinyl if you want to hear how bad it is
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:09 PM   #385 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Chives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
it's out of print now, anyway

you probably need to download it or buy used vinyl if you want to hear how bad it is
Thankfully, I don't have any interest so I think we're safe! Unless I get really REALLY Bob Dylan and just have to know every facet of his career, but I don't think I can afford that!

I think I said before that I was really skeptical of Highway 61 Revisited being as good as everybody said but I have to say...it's quickly becoming one of my favorite Dylan albums. Not sure if I like it more than Blonde on Blonde yet.
__________________
[My last.fm] [My Tumblr]

Last edited by Chives; 11-28-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Chives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #386 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Self portrait is pretty bad.


I'd go with blood on tracks instead of Nashville skyline. But I would probably just get them both, haha.

Blonde on blonde and highway 61 are definitely 2 of his best. It's really tough to choose.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #387 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
Default

I love the Lyrics of Bob Dylan and Lou Reed also !!
Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #388 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 477
Default


Bob Dylan and The Band / Before the Flood `74






Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:12 AM   #389 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Chives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 297
Default

How good is the Basement Tapes album? I'm currently reading a book about bootleg recordings and they bring up the Great White Wonder/The Basement Tapes so I'm a bit curious about the officially released album. Never actually seen a copy, though but I'd look for one if you guys said it was worth looking into!
__________________
[My last.fm] [My Tumblr]
Chives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #390 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

The quality of the recordings aren't bad at all. I think it's a good album. Certainly worth checking out. "going to Acapulco" is one of my favorites from the album. It's a pretty different sounding album. I don't really think it's as good as all the praise it has received. But there are some good songs on it and it's definitely worth checkin out.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.