Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Country, Folk & World Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Pianogirl75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 75
Default Spanish language music anyone?

I've been around Spanish language music most of my adult life, but most of it is the kind I don't like. Everyone here is into Tejano music. But I found this band recently, it's pretty good: Pena Colectiva Video by MONTE NEGRO - MySpace Video

I also like Merengue, Salsa, and Mexican and South American folk. I've always been a fan of Mana as well.

So, if you know about this type of music, tell me what you like. I want to get into more.
Pianogirl75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Their albums are instrumental but I really like Bajofondo Tangoclub:



As for South American music I love the Funk and Reggae that they produce.



__________________

A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianogirl75 View Post
I've been around Spanish language music most of my adult life, but most of it is the kind I don't like. Everyone here is into Tejano music. But I found this band recently, it's pretty good: Pena Colectiva Video by MONTE NEGRO - MySpace Video

I also like Merengue, Salsa, and Mexican and South American folk. I've always been a fan of Mana as well.

So, if you know about this type of music, tell me what you like. I want to get into more.
Have you ever checked out Los Fabulosos Cadillacs? They're an Argentine band that started off playing Ska and Reggaeton but eventually evolved into a really interesting hodgepodge of styles. Here's their biggest song, "Matador":

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Of course I forgot Brazilain Octopus too! Have you had a chance to listen to that J?
__________________

A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Demonoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 734
Default

Lhasa De Sela

Oh yeah, I think she's wonderful. Her voice alone could move you. She sings completely in spanish on her debut La llorona and varies between english, french and spanish on the follow up, 'The Living Road'. Her influences range from latin/mexican music, to american folk, to eastern european folk. Her music could be described as a cross between Leonard Cohen and Tom waits, which I think is quite appropriate. (it's more recognizable on The Living Road, but I think her debut is better overall)

Clicky here to give it a try.

YouTube - La Celestina full
YouTube - La confession - Lhasa de Sela
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Of course I forgot Brazilain Octopus too! Have you had a chance to listen to that J?
Not yet. I've been on kind of a loud music kick lately and have just been for the right mood to strike.

But wouldn't Brazilain Octopus be a Portuguese language band?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Not yet. I've been on kind of a loud music kick lately and have just been for the right mood to strike.

But wouldn't Brazilain Octopus be a Portuguese language band?
There's no vocals and she did mention South America at the end of the post! i'm just using this post as an excuse to push some bands !
__________________

A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonoid View Post
Lhasa De Sela

Oh yeah, I think she's wonderful. Her voice alone could move you. She sings completely in spanish on her debut La llorona and varies between english, french and spanish on the follow up, 'The Living Road'. Her influences range from latin/mexican music, to american folk, to eastern european folk. Her music could be described as a cross between Leonard Cohen and Tom waits, which I think is quite appropriate. (it's more recognizable on The Living Road, but I think her debut is better overall)
Oh yeah, definitely. I have La Llorona and don't listen to it nearly enough. Great album.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
There's no vocals and she did mention South America at the end of the post! i'm just using this post as an excuse to push some bands !
Okay, I'll let you get away with it... this time.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Pianogirl75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 75
Default

Lhasa de Sela is very interesting. Very beautiful voice.

I like Fabulosos Cadillacs as well.

Hey, Portuguese is fine too. I speak Spanish, but I can understand some Portuguese. But who says you have to understand the words? And if it's instrumental, who cares, right? I just like Latin sounds.
Pianogirl75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.