Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #1821 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
It's got too long of a trail, and the floodgates have opened. His legacy is toast.

And based on what I've researched, deservedly so.

F*CK YOU Bill Cosby.

Hold up because I've done my homework too.

He only settle one civil suit back in 2005 but there have been no other settlements and he has not been found guilty of a crime.

These women who are coming forward have had past consensual sexual relationships with him.

With that being said, if they were rapped, why would they continue to date him?

Sounds to me they were mad that Bill Cosby broke up with them or just simply want to jump on the bandwagon.

These claims need to be investigated more before people make up their minds.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #1822 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Bill Cosby spent a lot of time and effort and years of TV exposure building up an image of the ultimate family man deity.

Fck him.

But he has not been found guilty of a crime?

I am confused.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #1823 (permalink)
GuD
Dude... What?
 
GuD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post
Sounds to me they were mad that Bill Cosby broke up with them or just simply want to jump on the bandwagon.

These claims need to be investigated more before people make up their minds.
I totally agree with this statement but,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulflower View Post

With that being said, if they were rapped, why would they continue to date him?
Sadly there are many cases were women are stuck (so to speak) in relationships where rape is a threat. Cosby doesn't at all strike me as the type to be domineering in that kind of way but it's always hard to tell. I'm not at all saying the claims are or even aren't true, just that that's something to consider.
__________________
I spit bullets in my feet
Every time I speak
So I write instead
And still people want me dead
~msc
GuD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #1824 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
I totally agree with this statement but,



Sadly there are many cases were women are stuck (so to speak) in relationships where rape is a threat. Cosby doesn't at all strike me as the type to be domineering in that kind of way but it's always hard to tell. I'm not at all saying the claims are or even aren't true, just that that's something to consider.



I understand where you are coming from but if these women were rape the first time, why didn't they report it then?

They are claiming rape actually happened and was not used as a threat which imo is different from what you are saying but I still agree with your point.

They were not gaining anything from Bill Cosby.

I am just confused with why they are coming out now with this.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #1825 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 4,922
Default

While I agree that people should reserve their judgement until they have some evidence or the man has been found guilty, I've never been a big fan of the "why are these women only just coming forward now?" way of thinking. Frankly there appears to be many reasons why a rape victim would not come forward, and whether they disclose what has happened immediately or after 10, 20, 30, 40 years etc shouldn't really make much of a difference. It's certainly not a defence for the accused.
__________________

Last.FM | Blank Slate | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #1826 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

It is not necessarily an accuse but its a another angle that people seem to minimize.

I understand the circumstances with rape victims and how they might not disclose their abuse right away (that is very true in some cases) but in a case involving a high profile celebrity its very possible that these women are just after his money (people seem to insist on minimizing this angle for some reason).

I personally think its need to be investigated more since there are multiple women making these accusations.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #1827 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 4,922
Default

If there is reason to believe that's what they're doing, then yeah sure. If not, it should not be presented as an issue and it should go to trial, where if there is no evidence it won't hold up.

I don't think people try to minimise this. I feel like it's a question that plenty of people ask in cases like this, they question the validity of the supposed victims claims, they ask why it has taken them so long to come forward, and they ask whether they are not just making it up for financial gain. My point is that if someone believes the accused should be innocent until proven guilty, could you not apply the same logic to the alleged victim?
__________________

Last.FM | Blank Slate | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #1828 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
If there is reason to believe that's what they're doing, then yeah sure. If not, it should not be presented as an issue and it should go to trial, where if there is no evidence it won't hold up.

I don't think people try to minimise this. I feel like it's a question that plenty of people ask in cases like this, they question the validity of the supposed victims claims, they ask why it has taken them so long to come forward, and they ask whether they are not just making it up for financial gain. My point is that if someone believes the accused should be innocent until proven guilty, could you not apply the same logic to the alleged victim?

I agree with you but in this particular case, people are not giving a fair treatment to Bill Cosby.

From what I have seen on various message boards and media outlets, people have made their mind up in calling him a rapist.

This is why I said its a possibility the women could be lying BUT then again like you said there might be some truth to their claims.

I never said it was a fact they were lying. However, I do think Bill Cosby is being labeled unfairly. I just think it should be further investigated.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #1829 (permalink)
Former Vulpix
 
Ninetales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: livin wild
Posts: 2,127
Default

Rape is incredibly difficult to prove, so there's a chance nothing ever gets proven with Cosby. Does that mean he didn't do it? The "innocence until proven guilty" is a law structure and doesn't apply to human reasoning. With all these women coming out it's pretty reasonable to say he most likely did all of these things. Similar to Jian Ghomeshi in Canada I honestly don't get (and am frankly frustrated with) all of the "well he's not in jail therefore he probably didn't do it and the girls are lying.

I don't think any news stations are actually calling him a rapist straight up (that's how lawsuits start) but if you're not standing up for the victims and calling Cosby out as being a dirtbag I probably question your character.

Also rape is a seriously sensitive thing to deal with for victims (id imagine; not personal experience). If you're just a kid, got abused by a super famous person would you come out right away, by yourself, with no definite proof? It's ****king frightening situation to be in, and the culture around victim blaming doesn't at all help them out. Case and point tons of people claim they're just gold digging. Real scary and stupid imo
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #1830 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 10,663
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
Also rape is a seriously sensitive thing to deal with for victims (id imagine; not personal experience). If you're just a kid, got abused by a super famous person would you come out right away, by yourself, with no definite proof? It's ****king frightening situation to be in, and the culture around victim blaming doesn't at all help them out. Case and point tons of people claim they're just gold digging. Real scary and stupid imo
Case in point.

Kobe Bryant sexual assault case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.