Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Who will it be?
Obama 42 79.25%
McCain 5 9.43%
**** you RezZ, I'm not telling you! 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 08:49 AM   #111 (permalink)
Existential Egoist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBHCNick View Post
I like Ron Paul, he has sound outstanding ideas. But some of his are so nutty and far from reality, it pushes away potential voters. Like going back to the gold standard...I mean really, we don't have enough gold in the world to go back to that. And overturning Roe vs Wade is way too radical right wing for me.
He never said that he was going to even act on Roe vs. Wade. He said that it should be up to the states, but he did say he was pro-life.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #112 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
The Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 803
Default

I'm not an American citizen, so I can't vote.If I had been it probably would've been Obama. Not that's he's by any means the perfect candidate, but he's the least evil of the two, and that's what's American democracy at the national level seems to be all about.
The Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:08 AM   #113 (permalink)
sleepe
 
Double X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: boston
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Socialized health care is an awful idea (where do you think that money comes from) in my opinion and I think Obama is smart enough to agree, but he does need to sound like he supports it to energize his liberal base.
Obama will raise income tax on people that make over 350k a year. Socialized health care helps people, and I don't see the problem with helping people.
Double X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 AM   #114 (permalink)
Existential Egoist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
Obama will raise income tax on people that make over 350k a year. Socialized health care helps people, and I don't see the problem with helping people.
It also is taking away the rights of the rich for them to use there own money and not be forced to pay charity. It isn't right at all, and I don't see why somebodies work should forcibly pay someone else.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #115 (permalink)
sleepe
 
Double X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: boston
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
It also is taking away the rights of the rich for them to use there own money and not be forced to pay charity. It isn't right at all, and I don't see why somebodies work should forcibly pay someone else.
Because the poorer people need it and we are all in this country together. While rich people want another beach house in Miami, there are poorer people on the streets who can't go to hospitals because they can't pay for it. How is that fair?
Double X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #116 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
It also is taking away the rights of the rich for them to use there own money and not be forced to pay charity. It isn't right at all, and I don't see why somebodies work should forcibly pay someone else.
Exactly. People who make 350K only take home about 205K a year already, do they really need to be taxed more? Imagine working for $20 an hour and you take $12 home, that would suck right? I never made 300K a year, hell I don't think I ever made 150K in a year, but I've always had health insurance as long as I've had a family. Why, because I took responsibility for my actions. Health insurance is far less expensive then most peoples car payments, there is no reason to have kids and not have health insurance. And if you don't have children, you really don't need it until your in your mid-late 30's.

Helping people is a good thing, but forcing people to help other people is not.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #117 (permalink)
Existential Egoist
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,468
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
Because the poorer people need it and we are all in this country together. While rich people want another beach house in Miami, there are poorer people on the streets who can't go to hospitals because they can't pay for it. How is that fair?
When you say, "We are all in this country together," you are assuming everyone supports your philosophy so it is almost like bringing religion into politics. No one should be forced to follow your beliefs so no one should have to pay money towards another persons health-care if they don't want to.
Inuzuka Skysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #118 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
Because the poorer people need it and we are all in this country together. While rich people want another beach house in Miami, there are poorer people on the streets who can't go to hospitals because they can't pay for it. How is that fair?
Because the rich people (or their parents etc) worked hard so they could own that beach house and the poor people on the streets were either too proud ti ask for help or addicts and likely both.

There are tons of "rich people" who are very philanthropic and create shelters and kitchens and hostels for the temporarily homeless to stay at, they are private programs like the ones here in Detroit, that hire homeless or destitute workers and give them room and board as well as minimum wage pay to help get them on their feet. There are free clinics people can attend, if it's an emergency no hospital will refuse to care for someone and on and on and on. The robin Hood concept seems noble, but this ain't Sherwood Forest, it's real life.

If you think the wealthiest 10% should take care of the rest of the people, then get yourself a time machine and go back to the USSR circa 1965. That's socialism and it's not how America is supposed to work.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #119 (permalink)
sleepe
 
Double X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: boston
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuzuka Skysword View Post
When you say, "We are all in this country together," you are assuming everyone supports your philosophy so it is almost like bringing religion into politics. No one should be forced to follow your beliefs so no one should have to pay money towards another persons health-care if they don't want to.
I am not too religious.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Because the rich people (or their parents etc) worked hard so they could own that beach house and the poor people on the streets were either too proud ti ask for help or addicts and likely both.

There are tons of "rich people" who are very philanthropic and create shelters and kitchens and hostels for the temporarily homeless to stay at, they are private programs like the ones here in Detroit, that hire homeless or destitute workers and give them room and board as well as minimum wage pay to help get them on their feet. There are free clinics people can attend, if it's an emergency no hospital will refuse to care for someone and on and on and on. The robin Hood concept seems noble, but this ain't Sherwood Forest, it's real life.

If you think the wealthiest 10% should take care of the rest of the people, then get yourself a time machine and go back to the USSR circa 1965. That's socialism and it's not how America is supposed to work.
I'm not advocating for socialism (would not be against it though) but if we can take money from some people to help boost up another class why not. Using that money to get homeless and poor people more work would help this country greatly.

I don't want America in another Gilded Age. The wealthiest are breaking farther and farther away from everyone else at the rest of the American people's expense.
Double X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #120 (permalink)
Occams Razor
 
Son of JayJamJah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post
I am not too religious.

I'm not advocating for socialism (would not be against it though) but if we can take money from some people to help boost up another class why not. Using that money to get homeless and poor people more work would help this country greatly.

I don't want America in another Gilded Age. The wealthiest are breaking farther and farther away from everyone else at the rest of the American people's expense.
Why should the wealthy be held accountable for that?

What have they done to limit others from obtaining wealth?

If you give people hand outs you take away their motivation, it is not good for the country. You create a sense of entitlement and apathy in people as well. It will only give them a temporary boost as well, it's not as if we can pull the destitute from the ranks of poverty with money. They need a change in lifestyle and attitude first.

The extremely wealthy already give back more then half of their income in taxes and are responsible for more then 3/4 the charitable donations in this country.

When the government takes money it uses it poorly. The biggest problem I have with your idea is that. You are saying you trust the government more then the citizens to do what's right. I don't like that at all.

Government socialized health care is lazy, selfish and ultimately unfair.
Son of JayJamJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.