Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 747
Default

........Not much I can do about that. I am not and do not claim to be Bono....sorry......

Doubt he'd give the money even if the entire country signed. Just figured it was a decent cause.
TumorAttitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

It is a good cause I just question how politically savvy the person behind this is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Trigger Happy Catalyst
 
polyphonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Springfield, Mo.
Posts: 62
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Point A. Taxpayer money doesn't go to political campaigns that's raised by the DNC/RNC and donations.
Point B. Congress can only raise their salary when a new session begins and they have to vote on it they don't do it whenever they feel like and the raises are never really that extravagant. Also Congress has never raised their salaries individually recently.
Point C. It doesn't cost much money to rent the area that is Guantanamo Bay detention camp and we've been renting it for a long time. The fiscal amount to keep that running should be the least of your concerns when it comes to where money is going. Unless you suggest downsizing the military (or at least military expenditures which President Obama is doing) which would be silly seeing as we're in two wars and they'd just be sent elsewhere (and will be seeing as it's been shut down.)

I hope your "whole list" is as thought out as the preview you provided us which only has the war on drugs and the war in Iraq going for it which are hardly new/shocking revelations of reckless spending.
A: Public funding of Presidential elections means that qualified Presidential candidates can receive federal government funds to pay for the valid expenses of their political campaigns in both the primary and general elections, and to pay for their national nominating conventions The Federal Election Commission administered the first public funding program in 1976. Eligible Presidential candidates used federal funds in their primary and general election campaigns, and the major parties used public funds to pay for their nominating conventions. Alternate political parties can apply for funding that is to be based on the voter turnout from the last election cycle.

B: Congress can still raise their own salaries, and regardless of the fact that the personal raises aren't that much in themselves, when you add it all up...

C: Paying rent at Gitmo isn't the point, the cost of running such a place is.(Moral issues being a whole different topic)

Not to mention that the fact that the "War on Drugs" and the "War on Terror" being old news doesn't disqualify them from being good examples of irresponsible spending.

Obama letting wife take air force one to Chicago every weekend.
100 dollars per pound steaks flown in from japan at white house parties.
Palin can go drop thousands on suits from Saks, Neiman's and Barney's.

There were six candidates in the Presidential Election of 2008. The approximate amount spent by each candidate are as follows:
1. Barak Obama, Democrat, 730 million.
2. John McCain, Republican, 343 million.
3. Ralph Nader, Independent, 4 million,
4. Bob Barr, Libertarian, 1 million.
5. Chuck Baldwin, Constitution, 208 thousand
6. Cynthia McKinny, Green, 145 thousand


These are a blip on the radar screen of examples.
Where is the money really going?

This whole argument is only furthering my original point; we can debate HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars all week, and the fact is that there are hundreds of billions to argue about. With all of the affluent spending going on around us, regardless of financial situation, why not do something good with it?
__________________
How quickly I forget that this is meaningless.
polyphonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Methville
Posts: 2,116
Default

Because its all low in value and better spent here trying to fix our own problems.
The Unfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyphonic View Post
A: Public funding of Presidential elections means that qualified Presidential candidates can receive federal government funds to pay for the valid expenses of their political campaigns in both the primary and general elections, and to pay for their national nominating conventions The Federal Election Commission administered the first public funding program in 1976. Eligible Presidential candidates used federal funds in their primary and general election campaigns, and the major parties used public funds to pay for their nominating conventions. Alternate political parties can apply for funding that is to be based on the voter turnout from the last election cycle.

B: Congress can still raise their own salaries, and regardless of the fact that the personal raises aren't that much in themselves, when you add it all up...

C: Paying rent at Gitmo isn't the point, the cost of running such a place is.(Moral issues being a whole different topic)

Not to mention that the fact that the "War on Drugs" and the "War on Terror" being old news doesn't disqualify them from being good examples of irresponsible spending.

Obama letting wife take air force one to Chicago every weekend.
100 dollars per pound steaks flown in from japan at white house parties.
Palin can go drop thousands on suits from Saks, Neiman's and Barney's.

There were six candidates in the Presidential Election of 2008. The approximate amount spent by each candidate are as follows:
1. Barak Obama, Democrat, 730 million.
2. John McCain, Republican, 343 million.
3. Ralph Nader, Independent, 4 million,
4. Bob Barr, Libertarian, 1 million.
5. Chuck Baldwin, Constitution, 208 thousand
6. Cynthia McKinny, Green, 145 thousand


These are a blip on the radar screen of examples.
Where is the money really going?

This whole argument is only furthering my original point; we can debate HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars all week, and the fact is that there are hundreds of billions to argue about. With all of the affluent spending going on around us, regardless of financial situation, why not do something good with it?
If you really knew so much about the FEC and the fund raising process you'd know you just told a flat out lie. You saying seven hundred and thirty million dollars of taxpayer money went to Barack Obama is a flat out lie. He's the first presidential candidate post-Watergate that didn't accept public campaign funds. Do some research on the actual money spent (or just look at your figures and do some basic addiction) not that much money was spent which is shocking considering how much the campaign money has to cover.

As far as Congress raising their salaries goes they didn't individually raise them that much last time (certainly nothing to cause a fuss over since they're been doing more work now than in previous years) and they don't just raise their salaries at random again and to extravagant amounts (yes, even if you add it up it still doesn't hit the millions let alone the hundreds of billions.)

Guantanamo Bay Detention Camp doesn't cost a ridiculous amount to run. The conditions are pretty terrible and we'd be paying the people who stand guard over it regardless of where they are. It's really silly to bring it up; the defense budget as a whole would be a different manner.

As far as personal Presidential spending goes; it's always been irresponsible. Bringing up Sarah Palin is irrelevant.

I understand what you're saying with all this but you're attacking the wrong thing. The defense budget is overbloated and you barely touch on it (really you look at a very tiny facet; Gitmo) and you ignore the fact that the conditions in which we entered two wars were not stable economic conditions and that there's no regulation of White House spending. I'm not saying you're wrong just that you seem misinformed and you're misdirecting your populist fiscal rage.

All this talk of fiscal responsibility though directly contradicts your demand we send this money to this fund though. You realize we'd just be borrowing the two billion dollars and sinking that much deeper into debt right? It would be stupid to proxy donate money; again I think a country with money should be asked.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Trigger Happy Catalyst
 
polyphonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Springfield, Mo.
Posts: 62
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumorAttitude View Post
ONE | The Big Read

*copy pasted* ONE and The Global Campaign for Education will present The Big Read, a storybook promoting literacy and education worldwide, to President Obama on June 16 -- along with our request that he fulfill his campaign promise of contributing $2 billion to a Global Fund for Education.


If we have money to bailout soulsucking companies, surely we have money for global education? Eh, I signed. If you agree, you should sign as well.

Well played sir, Sleepy Jack. I got a "B" in political Science... but I gave it a good shot. I quoted the original post just to bring it back into focus, and anyone reading this that is remaining concerned or interested should do some research and decide for yourself. It's your world people.
__________________
How quickly I forget that this is meaningless.
polyphonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.