Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/)
-   -   Heaven and Hell (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/41725-heaven-hell.html)

TheCunningStunt 06-19-2009 09:58 AM

Heaven and Hell
 
Well, I'm very athiest, I once told my R.E teacher that the bible was my favourite book of fairytales, better than peter pan.

And my general feeling on God is, the idea of God is there to make people live the right way and there will be a reward.

If there is a heaven and a hell, and that's a big if, at least if I do go to hell, I will have lived a fun life, a life with no regret and when I get there, plus it'll be warm and there will be lots of people I know there with me..

If you are someone who's living your life the right way, on hopes of an afterlife, what if there is no after life? and if you can feel things after you die.

How pissed off would you be?

Kool_Dude_HaMeR 06-19-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt (Post 685841)
what if there is no after life? and if you can feel things after you die.

what feelings are you talking about, if you just said there is no afterlife??

Inuzuka Skysword 06-19-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt (Post 685841)
And my general feeling on God is, the idea of God is there to make people live the right way and there will be a reward.

That is not the idea of God, if you are referring to the Judeo-Christian god.

Quote:

If there is a heaven and a hell, and that's a big if, at least if I do go to hell, I will have lived a fun life, a life with no regret and when I get there, plus it'll be warm and there will be lots of people I know there with me..
I have always said that if I were to go to Hell I would just find some possible way to conquer it like Sisyphus conquered his eternal punishment. Simply put, I don't see how a hell could exist if we exist. We can control our emotions and our surroundings. Even if we were to be separated from everything, we could still find something to do that is enjoyable in an eternal punishment.

Quote:

If you are someone who's living your life the right way, on hopes of an afterlife, what if there is no after life? and if you can feel things after you die.

How pissed off would you be?
If there is no after life then one can't be pissed off about anything. They cease to exist. When you die your experiences and such are worth nothing. The man who enjoyed his life to the fullest and the man that dreaded life become equal in that sense. The point of life is to find something to do while living it. You seem to expect that even your enjoyment during this life has an objective worth that can be measured. It doesn't.

TheCunningStunt 06-19-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kool_Dude_HaMeR (Post 685850)
what feelings are you talking about, if you just said there is no afterlife??

Hypothetically speaking.

Let's say your soul is floating about but doesn't get to heavan, and you can still see the world and what's going on in it..

And you could feel things

Would you be pissed off if you led your life right and the whole heaven pearly gates, eternal peace was just utter shit?

tore 06-19-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt (Post 685861)
Hypothetically speaking.

Let's say your soul is floating about but doesn't get to heavan, and you can still see the world and what's going on in it..

And you could feel things

Would you be pissed off if you led your life right and the whole heaven pearly gates, eternal peace was just utter shit?

What you are describing is an afterlife ..

/facepalm

I don't believe in afterlives. And if there are any and they last forever, maybe they would all suck sooner or later.

TheCunningStunt 06-19-2009 10:21 AM

Right, let's say..

You die, you're in a coffin..

You wake up for a miunte, you realise you died, and you didn't go to heaven or hell. And you lived your life with the belief you'd go to heaven.

You people don't understand hypothetically speaking do you :(

Kool_Dude_HaMeR 06-19-2009 10:21 AM

so you're saying there is an afterlife, just not one comprising of heaven/hell but rather just on a parallel plane of existence to the life we lead? and once we die we go to this state of being able to observe but not interact with the "real" world?

uhmm, that would be pretty cool i guess.

However as my interpretation of "soul" in this context is only that of our thoughts, i don't believe such a thing exists. once you're dead the chemical reactions and electrical impulses in our brains, that make up our thoughts, are no longer functional/active. Therefore our soul is also no longer functional/active.

tore 06-19-2009 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt (Post 685868)
Right, let's say..

You die, you're in a coffin..

You wake up for a miunte, you realise you died, and you didn't go to heaven or hell. And you lived your life with the belief you'd go to heaven.

You people don't understand hypothetically speaking do you :(

Yes, it's just your initial hypothesis was that there is no afterlife but there is one after all. We just don't like contradictions ..

So what you're asking is what if we were sentient when we were dead, but there was nothing we could do. F.ex what if all you could do was experience your coffin.

I don't think there's anyone here who wouldn't think of that as a bad thing. However, I also don't think there are many here who don't consider that a pure fantasy scenario ;)

TheCunningStunt 06-19-2009 10:29 AM

Yes, Kool Dude, that's the hypothetical situation I was spinning off.

But my point is, IF, IF being the main word..

IF you could somehow feel/think things after you die, and you IF believed you'd go to heaven. Would you be pissed off?

TheCunningStunt 06-19-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toretorden (Post 685876)
Yes, it's just your initial hypothesis was that there is no afterlife but there is one after all. We just don't like contradictions ..

So what you're asking is what if we were sentient when we were dead, but there was nothing we could do. F.ex what if all you could do was experience your coffin.

I don't think there's anyone here who wouldn't think of that as a bad thing. However, I also don't think there are many here who don't consider that a pure fantasy scenario ;)

If I woke up for 1 minute in my coffin, that would be my worst fear realised.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 PM.


2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.


SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.