Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: What religion do you follow?
Christianity 38 20.43%
Buddhism 3 1.61%
Hinduism 1 0.54%
Islam 2 1.08%
Judaism 4 2.15%
Wiccanism 1 0.54%
Other established religion (feel free to post about it) 6 3.23%
Self-defined 25 13.44%
Don't follow any religion & don't believe in deities (atheist) 67 36.02%
Not Sure, undecided, don't know or don't care 39 20.97%
Sikhism 0 0%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #201 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
That's why I have faith, because I know he was sent to Earth to save us and even for those who arn't Christian or even religious, living as he did wouldn't be a bad thing for the world. My dear I think you've explained it quite well.
sometimes we're best served by cutting through the crap.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #202 (permalink)
Man vs. Wild Turkey
 
ElephantSack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 947
Default

Religious? In a word. No.
__________________
OF THE SUN
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:24 AM   #203 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Muslim here
mahmoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:30 AM   #204 (permalink)
myspace.com/stonebirdies
 
Stone Birds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Conor Oberst Was/is Here
Posts: 1,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh. View Post
theres way more athiests on here than I expected.
that has a lot to do with musicians NOT wanting to sing worship music
__________________
//\\//\\/\\/\/\/\\\\\\\\///\/\/\/\/\\////\/\\\\\///\V

//\\//\\/\\/\/\/\\\\\\\\///\/\/\/\/\\////\/\\\\\///\V

[Link removed by mod, no advertising] ... Damn those mods are always gettin ya :)
Stone Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #205 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Zaqarbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 823
Default

Agnostic. Anyway, as Heinrich Heine said: "God will forgive me; thatís his job."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Birds View Post
that has a lot to do with musicians NOT wanting to sing worship music
And sometimes even singing AGAINST worship:



Ouch!


__________________
"Lullabies for adults / crossed by the years / carry the flower of disappointment / tattooed in their gloomy melodies."
Zaqarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #206 (permalink)
i write and play stuff
 
OceanAndSilence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 238
Default

i'm an agnostic, but i'm spiritual... i'm pretty religious when it comes to art and nature
__________________
http://www.myspace.com/chrisneto - tune in to chill out
OceanAndSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #207 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Zaqarbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 823
Default

Actually, what best describes my opinion are these words by Marcus Aurelius:

Quote:
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
__________________
"Lullabies for adults / crossed by the years / carry the flower of disappointment / tattooed in their gloomy melodies."
Zaqarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #208 (permalink)
i write and play stuff
 
OceanAndSilence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
Actually, what best describes my opinion are these words by Marcus Aurelius:


"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
i disagree.

hypothetically, wouldn't religious precepts define the virtues of man, and a just god? isn't that the reason for them? an unjust god would be one that'd let anyone into 'heaven', because the measures of evaluation are bypassed. furthermore, there's no true representation of a good life unless it is individually defined, or based on a point of authority. if your life is good on your own terms, you can do anything you want. the conscience isn't collective; hitler thought what he was doing was right, and he was remembered for it...
__________________
http://www.myspace.com/chrisneto - tune in to chill out

Last edited by OceanAndSilence; 01-11-2010 at 03:28 PM.
OceanAndSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #209 (permalink)
FakingSuicideForApplause
 
Dr.Seussicide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: I live in a van down by the river
Posts: 1,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanAndSilence View Post
i disagree.

hypothetically, wouldn't religious precepts define the virtues of man, and a just god? isn't that the reason for them? an unjust god would be one that'd let anyone into 'heaven', because the measures of evaluation are bypassed. furthermore, there's no description of a good life unless you're basing it from a point of authority. if your life is good on your own terms, you can do anything you want. hitler thought what he was doing was right, and he was remembered for it...
So you'd only want to live a "good" life if you were rewarded for it? Religion isn't the only guide on how a good life should be led I think.
__________________
I'll stay if I ever could, and pick up your pieces babe, because there's never a perfect day.

Dr.Seussicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #210 (permalink)
i write and play stuff
 
OceanAndSilence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 238
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seussicide View Post
So you'd only want to live a "good" life if you were rewarded for it? Religion isn't the only guide on how a good life should be led I think.
is that what you gathered from my reply to that quote? my point was that the quote seemed ironic in that he described a "good" life, considering virtue and the value of it, when we are unable to objectively determine them.

what is a "good" life? they are different things for you and me. what would be a pertinent reward and who besides yourself decides what the reward is? there are no guides on what a "good" life is, no answer; to live is to figure that out yourself, although your "answer" will be constantly changing. happiness? enlightenment? purpose? truth?

even though i know i will never know in this life, i'll keep searching, because to me, that's what makes life worth living.
__________________
http://www.myspace.com/chrisneto - tune in to chill out
OceanAndSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.