Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/)
-   -   Depression and suicide (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/50936-depression-suicide.html)

TheCunningStunt 08-08-2010 10:35 PM

Depression and suicide
 
I was having a conversation about the subject of suicide and depression, and the people I were discussing it with were of the opinion that killing yourself is wrong because it's selfish. I was wondering what MBers felt about this. My argument was simply - holding a gun to your head, taking pills so that your internal organs collapse, holding a noose around your neck is not selfish.

And depression IS a mental illness/disorder. It all steamed from talking about rock stars drugged up and killing themselves (Kurt Cobain, I think.) and they were taking the moral high ground about drugs etc. I showed them this clip:



So taking the moral high ground about drugs was stupid on their part really. But that's besides the point.

The question I ask to you, is suicide cowardly?

thomasracer56 08-08-2010 10:40 PM

aside from running from problems, it sort of isn't knowing it takes a lot of conviction because that self preservation part-GOOD FEAR- says don't do it. knowing your opiniona are that strong, they didn't die so weak after all.

EDIT: Sorry, chose wrong poll choice.

Sansa Stark 08-08-2010 10:42 PM

In a way I think it's cowardly, a lot of people who do commit suicide are people who don't know how to ask for help, and most of them that you talk to, they want to be talked out of it. It's ****ing depressing to think about though, especially when you know someone who's killed themselves. I guess some people would say it's not, taking your own life into your own hands and whatnot

bungalow 08-08-2010 10:43 PM

what about the devastated families you leave behind that are going to have to live with your decision for the rest of their lives?

TheCunningStunt 08-08-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bungalow (Post 915576)
what about the devastated families you leave behind that are going to have to live with your decision for the rest of their lives?

I know, I think the statistic is 60% of people who commit suicide are depressed. I don't know what the other 40% are, I can't imagine they're as happy as f*cking larry but there you go.

Maybe the 40% are just attention seekers? But 60% of people who commit suicide have a genuine disorder.

I think it's a really misunderstood illness and people shun it by simply saying that they're selfish. Because they wouldn't dream of leaving their family behind and making them suffer etc. but then again, they don't understand the mind set of somebody who is depressed.

I can see both sides of the coin, but it's an interesting topic I think.

thomasracer56 08-08-2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bungalow (Post 915576)
what about the devastated families you leave behind that are going to have to live with your decision for the rest of their lives?

That's probably one of the first things they think about.

Sansa Stark 08-08-2010 10:47 PM

The family thing is something that always scared the **** out of me when I contemplated it, just the image of my mother finding my corpse really **** me up and scared me out of it

Sansa Stark 08-08-2010 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomasracer56 (Post 915578)
That's probably one of the first things they think about.

I highly doubt that, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

bungalow 08-08-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomasracer56 (Post 915578)
That's probably one of the first things they think about.

so how is it not selfish to say "fuck them?" there are other ways to deal with mental disorders.

thomasracer56 08-08-2010 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paloma (Post 915580)
I highly doubt that, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

Yeah, that's what my first post was about. They have the strongest and firmest convictions in the world, having they're heart set on their decision. Same with determination. Those who are determined know there are no excuses for what they must do not happening.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:21 PM.


2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.


SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.