Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #141 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
I don't know what you're talking about anymore.
You said Hindus know Allah means "god". I was responding to that statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincaptain View Post
I'm sorry for not having my Thesaurus handy. God whether it's capitalized or not, whether it was in English or Afrikaans, it was meant as a general term. Other words I could've used are: deity, divine being, creator, absolute being.....
God with a capital "G" is the name for the Christian god. Sorry to disappoint you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Are you telling me they did not support that phrase? I'm just baffled right now. Is that what you're saying?
That phrase was created many decade after they lived. So, yes, I think that's exactly what Ian is saying.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #142 (permalink)
Quiet Man in the Corner
 
CanwllCorfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pocono Mountains
Posts: 2,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
IMO, I think it comes from larger hangups. You dig a little and it almost always comes back to "westboro baptists" or "terry jones" and A has nothing to do with B.
Yeah that makes sense. I think it's just hard to believe because I'm so indifferent towards it. It's just God? I don't know.
__________________
Your eyes were never yet let in to see the majesty and riches of the mind, but dwell in darkness; for your God is blind.

CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:05 AM   #143 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E Coleman View Post
Prove to me that they did. And if this is deist language, as it could be since they may not mean under in the sense of being under the control of, then show me how it's still relevant today given its current meaning?

One way or another it doesn't belong, and a deist wouldn't support that phrase.
Jesus you're lazy.

When we say God is a spirit, we know what we mean, as well as we do when we say that the pyramids of Egypt are matter. Let us be content, therefore, to believe him to be a spirit, that is, an essence that we know nothing of, in which originally and necessarily reside all energy, all power, all capacity, all activity, all wisdom, all goodness.

* John Adams, in a letter to Thomas Jefferson (17 January 1820)
Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #144 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
IMO, I think it comes from larger hangups. You dig a little and it almost always comes back to "westboro baptists" or "terry jones" and A has nothing to do with B.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #145 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Tell me I'm wrong.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #146 (permalink)
I Am Become Death Metal
 
captaincaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stankonia
Posts: 695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
You said Hindus know Allah means "god". I was responding to that statement.


God with a capital "G" is the name for the Christian god. Sorry to disappoint you.


That phrase was created many decade after they lived. So, yes, I think that's exactly what Ian is saying.
My faults are then grammar, it seems like immaturity is becoming yours. You have not proved this string of Christian comments that you originally stated there were.
captaincaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #147 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Mr November's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Jesus you're lazy.

When we say God is a spirit, we know what we mean, as well as we do when we say that the pyramids of Egypt are matter. Let us be content, therefore, to believe him to be a spirit, that is, an essence that we know nothing of, in which originally and necessarily reside all energy, all power, all capacity, all activity, all wisdom, all goodness.

* John Adams, in a letter to Thomas Jefferson (17 January 1820)
Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787
Did you just pick a random quote? I fail to see what this establishes other than that John Adams was probably a deist. How does this show that they would approve of "God Bless America". And what are you talking about God being a spirit? I'm talking more about Einstein God concepts, but I guess deists in the founding fathers time wouldn't have known about that... But still - like a God that exists but does not for practical reasons. As in one who we are all dependent on for existence, but who has no effect past the creation of the universe.
Mr November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #148 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Tell me I'm wrong.
You're wrong. And strawmen like this are beneath you.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #149 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E Coleman View Post
Did you just pick a random quote? I fail to see what this establishes other than that John Adams was probably a deist. How does this show that they would approve of "God Bless America". And what are you talking about God being a spirit? I'm talking more about Einstein God concepts, but I guess deists in the founding fathers time wouldn't have known about that... But still - like a God that exists but does not for practical reasons. As in one who we are all dependent on for existence, but who has no effect past the creation of the universe.
Yes, I did just pick a random quote because I was doing your work. My points been proved in so far as they Founders freely said the word "god." I don't know why, as a Canadian, you want America to be a new kind of secular, but its never been religion free.

The Soviet Union was God-free. Go talk to them.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #150 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincaptain View Post
My faults are then grammar, it seems like immaturity is becoming yours. You have not proved this string of Christian comments that you originally stated there were.
Well, I don't know what to tell you. I've explained to you why his comments were specifically Christian. Sorry if you think that's "immature".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.