Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 11:23 AM   #71 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Well none of us here were jurors so none of our opinions 'really matter,'
But it does matter. The very fact that you have such a strong opinion on the matter, along with thousands or millions of others, means that the news media sees an opportunity to get ratings by covering it. Not only are you helping the vultures profit from the death of a child, but the more coverage a case gets, the harder it is for a defendant to recieve a fair trial.

Besides, how much can you possibly connect with a child you saw a few pictures and videos of on TV? Do you honestly expect us to believe that you are concerned entirely with "justice" (also see: revenge)? Please. You're getting off on this, along with all those people protesting outside the courthouse (What the **** is that ****, BTW? Were they hoping to bully the jury into a conviction? They were little better than a lynch mob). You're allowing your emotions to be manipulated by Nancy Grace and all those other hypocrites so that you can get your anger fix.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #72 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
But it does matter. The very fact that you have such a strong opinion on the matter, along with thousands or millions of others, means that the news media sees an opportunity to get ratings by covering it. Not only are you helping the vultures profit from the death of a child, but the more coverage a case gets, the harder it is for a defendant to recieve a fair trial.

Besides, how much can you possibly connect with a child you saw a few pictures and videos of on TV? Do you honestly expect us to believe that you are concerned entirely with "justice" (also see: revenge)? Please. You're getting off on this, along with all those people protesting outside the courthouse (What the **** is that ****, BTW? Were they hoping to bully the jury into a conviction? They were little better than a lynch mob). You're allowing your emotions to be manipulated by Nancy Grace and all those other hypocrites so that you can get your anger fix.
Dude, it was a huge news story. It was the biggest trial in the last 10 years. Please excuse me for having an opinion on it and not liking the fact that someone who murdered their little kid is free to walk the streets.

Listen, yes the news is a business...Everything is a business. But if millions of people have strong feelings about it, why the hell WOULDN'T it be news. "Hmmm, something tons of people are interested in and feel strongly about. Let's just ignore it completely!" That makes no sense for anybody. Hell if I care if the news stations profit off of it, their job is to give me news and make money. As for receiving a fair trial, I'd say it didn't affect things much considering she actually got acquitted. It was the fairest trial she could have ever dreamed of. She has probably spent the last 3 years googling time-wasters to do in the state penitentiary and watching Shawshank Redemption because I bet she didn't even dream she would get off the hook.

Someone is gonna have to explain all the emotional connection stuff to me. Call me an emo softy, but I feel bad when I hear news of 2 year olds who are killed and dumped in the woods by their mothers. Maybe that's just me . And this is about justice. It's about wanting a murderer to not be free. I don't even watch the news, but I knew about this case, watched parts of the trial, and have a strong opinion about it. I don't even know what you're talking about getting off on all this. On what exacly?

You have one of those "How dare you have a strong opinion on a popular current event, you idiot evil bastard" mindsets that I think is completely lame. I see it from so many people (mainly on facebook) when a bunch of people start commenting and having thoughts on something that's in the news.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #73 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Listen, yes the news is a business...Everything is a business. But if millions of people have strong feelings about it, why the hell WOULDN'T it be news. "Hmmm, something tons of people are interested in and feel strongly about. Let's just ignore it completely!"
Millions of people didn't know about it until it got covered constantly. Because the news media saw a murdered little white girl, and a mother that might have killed her, they turned it into a story because they knew it would get them ratings. KACHING! This was not a story. This was one among thousands of murdered children in this country. But this story just apparently had that hook that the news industry thought would capture people's attention.

Quote:
As for receiving a fair trial, I'd say it didn't affect things much considering she actually got acquitted.
That's beside the point. This isn't just about her. This is about every person who gets put on public trial like this.

Quote:
Someone is gonna have to explain all the emotional connection stuff to me. Call me an emo softy, but I feel bad when I hear news of 2 year olds who are killed and dumped in the woods by their mothers. Maybe that's just me . And this is about justice. It's about wanting a murderer to not be free.
Really? Cause I haven't seen you weeping over the death of a child here. I've seen you out for this woman's blood. Whether or not this woman fries seems to be your main concern. Not the little girl.


Quote:
I don't even watch the news, but I knew about this case, watched parts of the trial, and have a strong opinion about it. I don't even know what you're talking about getting off on all this. On what exacly?
On the mob mentality that ends up with some poor shmuck hanging from a tree.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #74 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Millions of people didn't know about it until it got covered constantly. Because the news media saw a murdered little white girl, and a mother that might have killed her, they turned it into a story because they knew it would get them ratings. KACHING! This was not a story. This was one among thousands of murdered children in this country. But this story just apparently had that hook that the news industry thought would capture people's attention.
I really just don't care that they saw it as a chance to make money to be honest with you. I don't control the media. I don't control what news stories are covered by national news channels. I think a huge driving force in the story was that she was partying right after killing her child. I feel bad for any kid that's murdered, but does that mean I should feel bad or feel obligated to search through archives and go post facebook statuses and create message board threads for every single child who dies? Cause I don't.


Quote:
Really? Cause I haven't seen you weeping over the death of a child here. I've seen you out for this woman's blood. Whether or not this woman fries seems to be your main concern. Not the little girl.
What else do you want me to post about it? I said I feel bad that she was murdered. You want me to webcam myself crying or something? I don't how to make it any more clear that I feel bad the kid died. This thread was about the trial and I'm responding to it. Casey Anthony definitely killed her kid in my opinion and I think she is a complete piece of shit and hope she lives a terrible life from her until death.

On the mob mentality that ends up with some poor shmuck hanging from a tree.[/QUOTE]

Mob mentality is everywhere, hell this site is a perfect example of it sometimes. If I thought she was innocent, I'd defend my thoughts on it. Because I agree with the majority doesn't mean I have some mob mentality. It's my personal opinion that I formed and I don't care who agrees or disagrees with it.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #75 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Not only are you helping the vultures profit from the death of a child
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
You're getting off on this
Let's play a game called "Really."

Really? Having a strong opinion is helping others profit from the death of a little girl? Really? Agreeing with the majority is tantamount to getting your rocks off? Really?

People who purposely play the devil's advocate just to avoid being in the majority are more annoying that people who jump on the bandwagon of the lynch mob.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #76 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Are you saying I know nothing and am a stupid child? I'm not motivated enough to google search this more in depth
No, I'm not actually insinuating that you "are" a stupid child. I am instead suggesting that your rant and rave post sounds like it was written out of to much emotional involvement and completely out of anger without thinking clearly before you speak. By making a better use of a democratic conversation of expressing ones personal views and opinions (calmly). People are more than likely to listen to your opinion more so, and often most of the time they will, much more so than a rant and rave statement out of anger.

I vaguely know you Dirty, and I am not judging you in any way. I personally don't care how you interpret-ate the Casey Anthony trial. I just think that you should do it in a more coherent manner. I don't really mean to defend you either, I just wanted to give my point of view concerning your post. Which my/view could be a wrong or right suggestion also, as however interpreted by others. (I will stand corrected if I'm wrong)
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #77 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
Really? Having a strong opinion is helping others profit from the death of a little girl?
Oversimplification. In this case, having a strong opinion on something that does not concern him and that he would have never even heard about if not for the media banging the drum about this like Rush Limbaugh bitching about Obama is indeed helping the media to profit from the death of a little girl.

Quote:
Really? Agreeing with the majority is tantamount to getting your rocks off? Really?
You like to oversimplify things don't you? When the majority is acting with the same mentality of a lynch mob, then yes, they're getting their rocks off.

Quote:
People who purposely play the devil's advocate just to avoid being in the majority are more annoying that people who jump on the bandwagon of the lynch mob.
Nah. People who jump on the bandwagon of the lynch mob are annoying AND potentially dangerous.

I await your cheap oversimplifications and strawmen.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #78 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
No, I'm not actually insinuating that you "are" a stupid child. I am instead suggesting that your rant and rave post sounds like it was written out of to much emotional involvement and completely out of anger without thinking clearly before you speak. By making a better use of a democratic conversation of expressing ones personal views and opinions (calmly). People are more than likely to listen to your opinion more so, and often most of the time they will, much more so than a rant and rave statement out of anger.

I vaguely know you Dirty, and I am not judging you in any way. I personally don't care how you interpret-ate the Casey Anthony trial. I just think that you should do it in a more coherent manner. I don't really mean to defend you either, I just wanted to give my point of view concerning your post. Which my/view could be a wrong or right suggestion also, as however interpreted by others. (I will stand corrected if I'm wrong)
All I can say is that's how I feel. What I think is completely logical and coherent and I'm honestly not too concerned with calmly expressing my opinion. I think people get my point and that's really all I want. I still don't get some of there's though.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #79 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Oversimplification. In this case, having a strong opinion on something that does not concern him and that he would have never even heard about if not for the media banging the drum about this like Rush Limbaugh bitching about Obama is indeed helping the media to profit from the death of a little girl.
Why does the mode by which he became aware of the events have any bearing whatsoever on how he should form his opinion? It doesn't. The fact that he happens to agree with the majrity of those who publicy voice their opinions is in no way his fault, nor should it discount his feelings toward the situation, nor anyone else's. And how is he, or any other person voicing their opinion, helping the media profit from her death? I have never once seen Dirty on Fox News spewing hate, nor at Barnes & Noble hocking a book about the murder. You say I "oversimplify" things, you can't see the forest for the trees man. The only people profiting from this are the lawyers and the jurors (who will write tell-all books). People like Nancy Grace and Jane Valez-Mitchell would get paid no matter what they talk about on their shows, so your argument is moot on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
You like to oversimplify things don't you? When the majority is acting with the same mentality of a lynch mob, then yes, they're getting their rocks off.
Don't tell me that I "oversimplify" things just because we have differing opinions. If you want to talk to me like I'm an idiot, then I will start to do the same. Mkay? kay. "Oversimplifying" would be more like relegating anyone who thinks that she is guilty into being a "lynch mob," wouldn't it? It would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
I await your cheap oversimplifications and strawmen.
Pfft.

Last edited by [MERIT]; 07-13-2011 at 02:09 PM.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #80 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Debate is fine people but let's please refrain from insulting each other. Attack the argument, not the person.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.