Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #281 (permalink)
Stoned and Jammin' Out
 
Mrd00d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California; Eugene, OR; mobile
Posts: 1,597
Default

My buddies and I were talking Tool and Alex Grey came up as he usually does. One of my friends shared this picture:



"God in the Convolutions"

He said: "Numerous internets to whoever can spot the word in that picture" Considering the thread title, y'all should see it pretty quickly. I thought that was really clever. I've seen this picture more than a few times but never noticed.
__________________
Mrd00d's Last.fm

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #282 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd00d View Post
My buddies and I were talking Tool and Alex Grey came up as he usually does. One of my friends shared this picture:



"God in the Convolutions"

He said: "Numerous internets to whoever can spot the word in that picture" Considering the thread title, y'all should see it pretty quickly. I thought that was really clever. I've seen this picture more than a few times but never noticed.
Spoiler for answer:
In the brian. I probably won't have noticed if I wasn't looking for it though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #283 (permalink)
Stoned and Jammin' Out
 
Mrd00d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California; Eugene, OR; mobile
Posts: 1,597
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Spoiler for answer:
In the brian. I probably won't have noticed if I wasn't looking for it though.
Spoiler for @Jans:
Yes, in the 'brian'. With the hint I gave, it wasn't meant to be much of a challenge... more of a "ooh cool". How relevant - God is in your mind, according to Alex Grey
__________________
Mrd00d's Last.fm

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #284 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Why did you jump from "non-religious" to "atheist"? And why do you assume atheists "despise" religious people?
Because I don't know many non-religious people. Anyone I know who is non-religious is an atheist. And it's not really an assumption. Based on my experience, atheists do despise religion and people who practice it. I'm sure that's not true for all atheists. I'm just speaking from personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrd00d View Post
Spoiler for @Jans:
Yes, in the 'brian'. With the hint I gave, it wasn't meant to be much of a challenge... more of a "ooh cool". How relevant - God is in your mind, according to Alex Grey
Alex Grey is a very spiritual person. I'd like to know more about his thoughts on spiritual matters. I read that he was an atheist, or non-believer, but then he had this experience on LSD that turned him into a spiritualist. Not so sure about the details, maybe you know more.

That reminds me. Ever heard of manifestation celebration? It's in Dallas this year, just about 20 minutes outside of where I live. I want to go. The main attraction is seeing Alex Grey do some Painting and listening to him speak. It's like this little seminar. I expect it to pretty fascinating.

Last edited by blastingas10; 03-06-2012 at 03:14 AM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #285 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

I'm an atheist and I'm not particularly fond of religion. I think it segregates people and causes tension. I see religions as a powerful opponents of knowledge. Science teachers in the US are heckled, harassed and have to deal with angry letters from religious parents. Now Islamic pressure and unwillingness to learn evolution is influencing schools in Europe too.

I can't help feel that if organized religions were gone, that could improve scientific education in general and help tear down some of the barriers between peoples. As for the quiet, inward sort of religion that people nurture in their hearts, that's fine by me. Just as long as they don't try to jam sticks in the spokes of the wheels of educated society.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #286 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
skaltezon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: hairball cluster
Posts: 325
Default

'

I'm an atheist too, but I consider it an arbitrary choice along the lines of "behave as if" to simplify decision-making. I try to remember that the arbitrary nature of my own choice doesn't justify my forcing it on others as if I had a direct line to objective reality (which I don't believe humans are equipped to perceive). Religionists possessed of reason are constrained by the same principle. In my opinion, ignorance and intolerance are found everywhere, and 'getting rid of religion' (if that were even possible) would leave the worst of human nature untouched.

.

Last edited by skaltezon; 03-06-2012 at 11:25 AM.
skaltezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #287 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Because I don't know many non-religious people. Anyone I know who is non-religious is an atheist.
I would say the overwhelming majority of non-religious people are not atheists. I can't count the number of times I've heard people refer to themselves as "spiritual but not religious" and there are loads of "undecideds" out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
And it's not really an assumption. Based on my experience, atheists do despise religion and people who practice it. I'm sure that's not true for all atheists. I'm just speaking from personal experience.
Well I'm an atheist, and while I do generally see religion in a negative light, I certainly don't despise religious people. A lot of my favorite people in the world are religious: my wife, my grandparents, many of my closest friends. The world's a difficult place and I don't really begrudge people latching on to something that makes it easier for them to cope. My issues with religion come in when it goes beyond that and starts actively causing problems in people's lives and in the world in general.

There's often a very extreme confirmation bias that goes on with the way religious people view atheists imo. Obviously, you don't know if someone is one unless they choose to make it known, and in a culture which is openly hostile to atheists like the US, the people most likely to loudly proclaim their atheism are going to be the most aggressive of the bunch. This course only serves to fuel the prejudiced view among religious people that atheists are all angry, bitter people.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #288 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,556
Default

So, who wants to take bets that Seekn, Blankety Blank, and steveeden, are all sock puppets?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #289 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Paedantic Basterd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 5,118
Default

I'm agnostic. I'm very happy in my state of indecision and contradiction, and I wouldn't want to know the answer if there was one. Life for me is a bit like seeing an illusionist perform. It's fun to wonder how the act was done, but finding out the truth would ruin the performance. I don't know, and that's all there is to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
So, who wants to take bets that Seekn, Blankety Blank, and steveeden, are all sock puppets?
Steve changed his name to Blankety Blank.

There's no evidence that these accounts are socks, interestingly.
__________________
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #290 (permalink)
Passerby
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Void
Posts: 299
Default

tore wrote:
Quote:
Read my previous post if you want to know more such as the working definition of scientific theory.
I am not going to question your intelligence, or your knowledge. I don't necessarily disagree with what you presented. The problem is that are you placing the burden on others to disprove a theory. More importantly, 'a working definition of a scientific theory'. You cannot dispute the fact that some of facts are disputed by scientists. And, there are missing links, that they still need to find.

My actual question was why if the word evolution was not coined until the 18th-19th century to refer to things changing over time; why did it appear in a dictionary to have its root in around 1615?. And, it means 'the unrolling of a book', or 'an opening of what was rolled up'.

No one answered that question tore. Why? It appeared before the letter 'J' was added to the English alphabet, according to the sources I've seen. It appears to present a problem with King Iames. The research I found suggests that the letter appeared in use around 1630.

Mat 1:16 Iacob begat Ioseph, the husband of Marie, of who was borne Iesus, that is called Christe. Bishop's Bible 1568

Do you see how it could possibly have began a little earlier?

It looks like the Words changed over time from Greek to Latin to English in around 1611.

And, the letter J did not appear in any alphabet prior to the 14th century.

And, Jews believe that god created everything with the 22 Hebrew letters of the alphabet. I would think he would have given them a J, but, he didn't.

Yehuda becomes Judah. And, many scholars agree that Job is the oldest book in the Hebrew manuscripts. What about Joshua, Jacob, Judges, Jeremiah, Jezebel, Jehoshaphat, and not to mention Jehovah, Jonah, Joel?

'and the books were opened, and the judgment set'

This was the question. And, remember blasting someone for being completely off-topic, and, then he apologized to you profusely, and, gave you props and praise for your insightful posts? I don't remember the name, but, I remember the posts, and, I saw no reply from you. He said, no sweat. He forgave you.

Do you see how you could have addressed the walking on water issue? With evolution.

I am not bashing the books, or any religious folks. I am doing my best to attempt to put something together to vindicate the stories, and, present something to leave behind, because, they do need interpreted, and, I believe that was part of the plan. It's a mental progression, and, I believe the goal is to force man to contemplate, and, exercise his mind. I had to live it. And, if it's true literally, we are here for the long haul. Again, it is not my truth, it's your own picture show you are creating. And, that's even debatable.

And tore, we are coming back. It's an evolution thing. So, I will ask you what you think about how we might further evolve? Not, what science might spew, but, what you think. You're a biologist, why aren't you screaming fire? Because, if we aren't walking machines, we're walking corpses.

Did seek mention anything about grouping of quarks? And, how they might communicate? There is something to that Greg Braden lecture he linked.

I'll link it again. If you guys look at anything, just the first 15 minutes can teach you how to feel about others. It certainly reminded me. I had forgotten. It's worth the 15 minutes of your time folks. Might change you a bit. It did me.



Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
So, who wants to take bets that Seekn, Blankety Blank, and steveeden, are all sock puppets?
Watch it batlord. How much do you want to bet?

I ain't playing stupid, or crazy anymore. It's time to get serious. I will not tolerate the one line smack any longer. You 'ready to rumble'? That's your first twin. I got a boat load.

Play nice son.
blankety blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.