Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #311 (permalink)
Dat's Der Bunny!
 
MoonlitSunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,079
Default

You're confusing possible implication and necessary implication. The flu virus causes the flu. it is the only thing that causes the flu and it if called the flu virus because it causes the flu. That said, you can carry the flu virus in your body, and not have the flu.

In the case, Carcinogens cause cancer. They are called carcinogens because they cause cancer, but you can have carcinogens in your body and not get cancer. Does that make sense?
__________________
"I found it eventually, at the bottom of a locker in a disused laboratory, with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard". Ever thought of going into Advertising?"

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #312 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekn4 View Post
This is all I'm saying if it is carcinogens that cause cancer, than everyone who smokes would get it and that's not the case, so there has to be more to the story, that one isn't enough for me, to call it fact, how come for some and not others, could belief be the missing link? Too many question unanswered to call anything fact. And I think I have been misunderstood, I'm just saying truth for one isn't truth for another.
I explained this to you actually. You can read my explanation in this post.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #313 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekn4 View Post
All I'm saying guy is to believe anything is impossible is just plain foolish, if u were alive 100 years ago u would have believed that going to space was impossible, now how many other generations believed something was impossible and were proved wrong. There are people who actually walk on 1700 degree hot coals and their flesh doesn't get burned, according to yalls believes that is impossible yet it happens, its even in the guineas book, and what allows them to do that is their beliefs, so maybe we shotuld take a little more head to the power of our beliefs. There is more than u can even imagine in this world. And with the internet nothing is hid. And there is mo proof that carcinogens cause cancer, according to all the studies we can't get away com them they r in just about everything we come in contact with, so y don't we all get cancer. There are too many questions to be raised to have any degree of certainty on that subject, still theory. Matters of faith and belief can't be proven to anyone else but yourself by searching within yourself. And your definition of an open mind must be flawed, cause to not believe that anything can be possible is not an open mind. And one day u will be that guy that didn't believe that going to space was possibe and watching the first space flight. And the laws of physics have changed in the recent year u might want to study up on quantum physics, not wikapedia, but actually study until u understand what they r saying, maybe research the double slit experiments to start. Not to be rude but its like nobody knows anything unless its been on the news, the mainstream, reports science things 10 years after the experiments have been in the works, the double slit experiment is 20 years old and nobody has heard of it. Y because it blows the doors off of everything we have been taught to believe. With what we have seen in history to belive something is impossible is more foolish than to believe anything is impossible.
OK children - listen up :
Guiness Book of World Records, Good
Wikapedia, Bad


Quote:
Originally Posted by seekn4 View Post
If u want your proof that our belief can actually change the way sub atomic particles react I suggest u take a month or two and study quantum physics
Or just watch this cartoon for five minutes:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #314 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

For the record, I know about double slit experiments and waveform collapse. What I disagree with is the idea that quarks are not subject to gravity and that this can somehow be utilized by humans in such a way that it allows us to walk on water.

If anyone can find some evidence to the opposite, I am all ears.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #315 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

I wish there was a intelligent religious person here to balance this argument, 'cause it's completely one-sided. I haven't really been following the argument, but all you know-it-all's, you can't honestly believe that we (humans) have an understanding for everything. I don't see how anyone could be arrogant enough to believe there aren't things in this universe that we don't understand or have any knowledge of.

Last edited by blastingas10; 03-06-2012 at 05:47 PM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #316 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

I don't think anybody claimed that. In fact, science is a way to look for such answers, it doesn't claim to have them all.

I am religious, by the way.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #317 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
I don't think anybody claimed that. In fact, science is a way to look for such answers, it doesn't claim to have them all.

I am religious, by the way.
I'm not saying that anyone claimed it, just asking. It can seem that people have that mentality sometimes.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #318 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Paedantic Basterd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 5,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
I wish there was a intelligent religious person here to balance this argument, 'cause it's completely one-sided. I haven't really been following the argument, but all you know-it-all's, you can't honestly believe that we (humans) have an understanding for everything. I don't see how anyone could be arrogant enough to believe there aren't things in this universe that we don't understand or have any knowledge of.
I don't think that you'd find that mentality in a discussion between two reasonable and intelligent individuals, but it's hard to remain open minded and curious when your opponent is spouting nonsensical self-righteous drivel. I think you'd find all of us more reasonable in discussion when speaking to a more reasonable individual.
__________________
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #319 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
I don't think that you'd find that mentality in a discussion between two reasonable and intelligent individuals, but it's hard to remain open minded and curious when your opponent is spouting nonsensical self-righteous drivel. I think you'd find all of us more reasonable in discussion when speaking to a more reasonable individual.
I understand what you're saying. I'm not saying anyone is unreasonable.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #320 (permalink)
Dat's Der Bunny!
 
MoonlitSunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,079
Default

You opened your post with a line about "you know-it-alls". it's hardly surprising that there was a reaction. :P
__________________
"I found it eventually, at the bottom of a locker in a disused laboratory, with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard". Ever thought of going into Advertising?"

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.