Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
washed up
 
YorkeDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 3,317
Default

the gun problem is a tough subject for me

on one hand, i do believe that stable individuals should be allowed to own one for defense and even use them for recreation at shooting ranges,

but i think it's too easy to obtain one. but the problem is that if we outlawed firearms, crazy people would still find a way to get a gun. it's not like it's difficult to go out and buy an ounce of marijuana despite it being illegal where i live, and getting a gun would be equally easy despite there obviously being a massive difference between getting some pot and getting a weapon. it's just something we can't really do anything about at this point.

...which makes this country a scary ****ing place
__________________
http://cloudcover1.bandcamp.com/
http://daydreamsociety.bandcamp.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
You are literally hitler.
YorkeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post

In fact I posted an article last year, there was one mass shooting a day in 2013 in the US up to about September.
I'd like to see that article if you could find it.

This article states there has been one mass shooting every two weeks since 2006. A mass shooting is defined as at least 4 people getting killed.

USA TODAY Investigation: Database of mass shootings, 2006-2013

Also no one is really saying outlaw guns just have stricter laws in place.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
the gun problem is a tough subject for me

on one hand, i do believe that stable individuals should be allowed to own one for defense and even use them for recreation at shooting ranges,

but i think it's too easy to obtain one. but the problem is that if we outlawed firearms, crazy people would still find a way to get a gun. it's not like it's difficult to go out and buy an ounce of marijuana despite it being illegal where i live, and getting a gun would be equally easy despite there obviously being a massive difference between getting some pot and getting a weapon. it's just something we can't really do anything about at this point.

...which makes this country a scary ****ing place
Happens here, people can still get them but the penalties for possession are enough to put people off and there are a lot of hoops to jump through to acquire one legally. I was looking at getting a high powered air gun for hunting rabbits and even that was a ball ache.
__________________
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
David Hasselhoff
 
Paul Smeenus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Back in Portland, OR
Posts: 3,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
the gun problem is a tough subject for me

on one hand, i do believe that stable individuals should be allowed to own one for defense and even use them for recreation at shooting ranges,

but i think it's too easy to obtain one. but the problem is that if we outlawed firearms, crazy people would still find a way to get a gun. it's not like it's difficult to go out and buy an ounce of marijuana despite it being illegal where i live, and getting a gun would be equally easy despite there obviously being a massive difference between getting some pot and getting a weapon. it's just something we can't really do anything about at this point.

...which makes this country a scary ****ing place

^ this is exactly how I feel. I think that if someone feels that a firearm will protect them and their family they should be allowed to have one. But no one needs uzi's and armor piercing cyanide tipped ammo.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Basically you're David Hasselhoff.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I'd like to see that article if you could find it.

This article states there has been one mass shooting every two weeks since 2006. A mass shooting is defined as at least 4 people getting killed.

USA TODAY Investigation: Database of mass shootings, 2006-2013

Also no one is really saying outlaw guns just have stricter laws in place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
Another mass shooting in America - Chicago park shootings: 11 shot and child in critical condition | World news | theguardian.com

That will be the 255th mass shooting in the US this year (defined as four or more people shot in a single incident). Nearly one a day. But lots of guns make the US a safer place.

Every American should carry a gun and then nobody will get shot dead, more guns = fewer deaths. Simple really.

There mate.

EDIT - That's the post, bollocks. I will return with the article asap.

EDIT x 2 - I didn't mean mass killing btw, mass shootings.

EDIT x 3 - You know what I can't even be arsed cos I'm watching a football match atm, I saw and read the article at the time, I know this cos people on the forum I took it off were questioning the number but I don't think I actually posted the article. If you still want it I'll try to get it.
__________________

Last edited by Fluff; 01-22-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

I went to Purdue for my undergrad and grad degrees (just moved from Lafayette about 6 months ago) and on top of that my sister still goes there. So it was pretty surreal for me. The way a lot of professors there handled it was pretty disturbing, to be honest. We had a text message alert system and many of them ignored it and continued teaching as if it wasn't a big deal. Purdue was also going to continue normal operations after the arrest had been made, but after students got pissed about the insensitivity of all that, they cancelled classes for today.

This just highlights to me how no one is safe anywhere. It's pretty sad.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
washed up
 
YorkeDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 3,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I went to Purdue for my undergrad and grad degrees (just moved from Lafayette about 6 months ago) and on top of that my sister still goes there. So it was pretty surreal for me. The way a lot of professors there handled it was pretty disturbing, to be honest. We had a text message alert system and many of them ignored it and continued teaching as if it wasn't a big deal. Purdue was also going to continue normal operations after the arrest had been made, but after students got pissed about the insensitivity of all that, they cancelled classes for today.

This just highlights to me how no one is safe anywhere. It's pretty sad.
Most of my friends still went to class just a couple hours after the shooting; lots of professors sent out emails saying class was still on and students were still expected to come. The Purdue Review (the student-run magazine) says there were even teachers laughing off the threat during lectures like you said. Seems like it was handled pretty horribly and the teachers need to be fired.
__________________
http://cloudcover1.bandcamp.com/
http://daydreamsociety.bandcamp.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
You are literally hitler.
YorkeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I went to Purdue for my undergrad and grad degrees (just moved from Lafayette about 6 months ago) and on top of that my sister still goes there. So it was pretty surreal for me. The way a lot of professors there handled it was pretty disturbing, to be honest. We had a text message alert system and many of them ignored it and continued teaching as if it wasn't a big deal. Purdue was also going to continue normal operations after the arrest had been made, but after students got pissed about the insensitivity of all that, they cancelled classes for today.

This just highlights to me how no one is safe anywhere. It's pretty sad.
Yeah, I thought of you when I heard about this. I didn't realize you had a sibling who was still there. Crazy stuff.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
Seems like it was handled pretty horribly and the teachers need to be fired.
I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Yeah, I thought of you when I heard about this. I didn't realize you had a sibling who was still there. Crazy stuff.
Yeah, I'm just glad that it wasn't a spree. It's incredibly sad, no doubt...I have this weird feeling of relief that my sister was ok and guilt for feeling that way since someone else's family member was killed.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Aficionado of Fine Filth
 
Psy-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: You don't want to look in there.
Posts: 3,450
Default

I saw this article posted somewhere last September. It's probably worth posing in this thread, also...

Mass Shootings Fuel Fear, Account for Fraction of Murders - Bloomberg
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
Step off. You angry little hobgoblin.
She's a Brick House
Psy-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.