Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #351 (permalink)
Music Guru
 
John Wilkes Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,016
Default

lol, ok. that's a cop out if i ever heard one. and nah that plugging thing doesn't sound like my thing, thanks though.
__________________
Sic semper tyrannis
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #352 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 10,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
lol, ok. that's a cop out if i ever heard one. and nah that plugging thing doesn't sound like my thing, thanks though.
Dude, we're not going to agree. You just want to use simplistic labels like "self-censorship" or "victim blaming" instead of looking deeply into the particulars of this particular event.
__________________
Flame bait is a message posted to a public Internet discussion group with the intent of provoking an angry response or argument over a topic the "troll" often has no real interest in, and finds humor, or entertainment in reactions.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #353 (permalink)
Music Guru
 
John Wilkes Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,016
Default

i was responding to ori with that post, not you.

i know we're not going to agree but those labels are perfectly accurate. you can explain what deeper details it is you think i'm missing but just saying that i'm not looking deep enough and leaving it at that is meaningless tbh.
__________________
Sic semper tyrannis
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #354 (permalink)
Ask me how!
 
Oriphiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The States
Posts: 5,043
Default

John, why should I feel the need to respond to you when you're destroying your own argument so succinctly?



I've already said everything that I have to say, and yet all you want to talk about is the non-issue of "censorship", which was never even on the table until you randomly plopped it down and called it the main course because you forgot to put the turkey in the oven.

Now get in plug! You'll love it, trust me. I thought it sounded awful at first, but I've actually learned a hell of a lot about the people on Music Banter by going there. And I've also had a blast, so there's that.
Oriphiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:31 PM   #355 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 10,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post

Now get in plug! You'll love it, trust me. I thought it sounded awful at first, but I've actually learned a hell of a lot about the people on Music Banter by going there. And I've also had a blast, so there's that.
I just popped my plug cherry and it is fun. I need to create a playlist and get behind the board!
__________________
Flame bait is a message posted to a public Internet discussion group with the intent of provoking an angry response or argument over a topic the "troll" often has no real interest in, and finds humor, or entertainment in reactions.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #356 (permalink)
Ask me how!
 
Oriphiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The States
Posts: 5,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
I just popped my plug cherry and it is fun. I need to create a playlist and get behind the board!
Not too many people play Led Zeppelin in plug. I'm expecting you to fill that void!
Oriphiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #357 (permalink)
Music Guru
 
John Wilkes Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
John, why should I feel the need to respond to you when you're destroying your own argument so succinctly?



I've already said everything that I have to say, and yet all you want to talk about is the non-issue of "censorship", which was never even on the table until you randomly plopped it down and called it the main course because you forgot to put the turkey in the oven.

Now get in plug! You'll love it, trust me. I thought it sounded awful at first, but I've actually learned a hell of a lot about the people on Music Banter by going there. And I've also had a blast, so there's that.
i didn't randomly bring it up.. i've been talking about it the entire time which i just demonstrated in my last post that you conveniently decided not to read. actually maybe you haven't been reading any of my posts. that would actually explain this discourse rather well.

and no means no. don't be a rapist
__________________
Sic semper tyrannis
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #358 (permalink)
Ask me how!
 
Oriphiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The States
Posts: 5,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
i didn't randomly bring it up.. i've been talking about it the entire time which i just demonstrated in my last post that you conveniently decided not to read. actually maybe you haven't been reading any of my posts. that would actually explain this discourse rather well.

and no means no. don't be a rapist
If you were really arguing in favor of freedom of speech this whole time, then it actually just makes you look like a complete idiot. Because you chose to start a fight about the absurdity of censorship with the guy who not too long ago wrote this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
I'll be brief; I don't support violence. A person can walk down a street wearing whatever shirt they want, they don't deserve to be killed. And if someone says something that offends another person, they don't deserve to be killed. Fighting against terrorists and bullies is something that will never end, but guess what? Such is the way of life. Everything simultaneously repeats and fades away. But just because our lives are brief doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make the most out of the time we have. And just because violence is an inevitability doesn't mean that we shouldn't do what we can to prevent needless deaths. I will always support the freedom of expression, even if people choose to use that freedom to be complete jerks towards each other. Because the best society, in my mind, isn't the one where everyone is nice to each other; it's the one where people get to decide whether they want to be nice or mean, without having to worry about someone killing them for their thoughts.

But hey, it's the endless debate, right? Let's simply agree to disagree. But try to remember that the freedom of expression is one that you're enjoying right now, as you argue with me. Without it, we wouldn't even have the ability to be discussing this topic right now. Losing that freedom, even in small pieces over a long period of time, is a horrible tragedy.
Congrats, John. I don't know how or why you did it, but you managed to start a fight with the one person who actually agreed with your point of view. You are the ultimate failure of debaters worldwide. Now get the hell out of my thread.

Oh, and by the way, a rape joke? Really? Very classy.
Oriphiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #359 (permalink)
Music Guru
 
John Wilkes Booth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,016
Default

actually it would make me look like an idiot except i kept repeating to you that that's what i was on about and you kept coming back at me with irrelevant **** about the black panthers and baseless accusations that i was supporting violence. so it actually makes you look like you can't read.

and you're a guy? i assumed you were a woman.
__________________
Sic semper tyrannis
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:57 PM   #360 (permalink)
Ask me how!
 
Oriphiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The States
Posts: 5,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
actually it would make me look like an idiot except i kept repeating to you that that's what i was on about and you kept coming back at me with irrelevant **** about the black panthers and baseless accusations that i was supporting violence. so it actually makes you look like you can't read.

and you're a guy? i assumed you were a woman.
John. Stop. You've already admitted that your sole purpose for being here is to defend the freedom of expression. I've just pointed out to you that defending freedom of expression was my entire purpose for entering this thread in the first place! At literally any time in our argument, you could have pulled up one of my earlier posts and said "Look! You said right here that you love freedom of speech! If we're fighting for the same thing, then why are we fighting each other?", and yet you didn't. I, on the other hand, was the one to notice that our stances were the same, and I pulled up quotes to prove it.

Do you know what this means? Either of us could easily have understood that we were on the same side at any time, because the proof was right there. But I was the one who noticed it, not you. And that can only be because I was the one who actually bothered to read the posts in this thread. You can't claim that you actually read my posts, because if you had, you would have seen our similarities in a heartbeat. This right here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
I'll be brief; I don't support violence. A person can walk down a street wearing whatever shirt they want, they don't deserve to be killed. And if someone says something that offends another person, they don't deserve to be killed. Fighting against terrorists and bullies is something that will never end, but guess what? Such is the way of life. Everything simultaneously repeats and fades away. But just because our lives are brief doesn't mean we shouldn't try to make the most out of the time we have. And just because violence is an inevitability doesn't mean that we shouldn't do what we can to prevent needless deaths. I will always support the freedom of expression, even if people choose to use that freedom to be complete jerks towards each other. Because the best society, in my mind, isn't the one where everyone is nice to each other; it's the one where people get to decide whether they want to be nice or mean, without having to worry about someone killing them for their thoughts.

But hey, it's the endless debate, right? Let's simply agree to disagree. But try to remember that the freedom of expression is one that you're enjoying right now, as you argue with me. Without it, we wouldn't even have the ability to be discussing this topic right now. Losing that freedom, even in small pieces over a long period of time, is a horrible tragedy.
Is evidence that you never actually read anything I wrote in this thread. Now I'll say it one last time; we're on the same side. Every punch you swing at me is just a punch that you're taking at yourself.
Oriphiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.