Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #2131 (permalink)
Girls,Cars,Guitars
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8,905
Default

A set of beliefs doesn't follow by saying I'm a follower of Christ aka a Christian

Indeed most Americans are both Christians and entirely unchristlike

Where as if I tell you I'm a Marxist but think Bill Gates should remain a billionaire I'm just lying/being inconsistent
__________________
Just another marketing ploy
Quote:
I've got a woman mean as she can be
sometimes I think, she's almost as mean as me
elphenor is online now  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:00 PM   #2132 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
A set of beliefs doesn't follow by saying I'm a follower of Christ aka a Christian

Indeed most Americans are both Christians and entirely unchristlike
wut? Please answer the question cause I don't even know what your "answer" means. What separates a religion from an ideology? Keep in mind that your answer will necessarily require more than a snarky sentence or two.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #2133 (permalink)
Girls,Cars,Guitars
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8,905
Default

I'm not sure how to make it more plain

Have you heard of the Not a True Scotsman fallacy?

Edit: er No true Scotsman? Believe that's how it's usually said actually
__________________
Just another marketing ploy
Quote:
I've got a woman mean as she can be
sometimes I think, she's almost as mean as me
elphenor is online now  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #2134 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,136
Default

If I understand your argument correctly it sounds like you're using it, not Batlord... No "true christian" would act unchristlike.
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...
DwnWthVwls is offline  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #2135 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'm not sure how to make it more plain

Have you heard of the Not a True Scotsman fallacy?

Edit: er No true Scotsman? Believe that's how it's usually said actually
Every atheist on the internet knows what that is. Please apply that in an argument. Cause I assure you, you are not being plain.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #2136 (permalink)
Girls,Cars,Guitars
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8,905
Default

How dooes one get that from a sentence where I declare they are both unchristlike AND Christians

Put another way The Bible says what you want it to say you get out of it what you came for

If you came for a justification for violence it's in there

If you came for ways to be more tolerant and peaceful it's in there too
__________________
Just another marketing ploy
Quote:
I've got a woman mean as she can be
sometimes I think, she's almost as mean as me
elphenor is online now  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #2137 (permalink)
Girls,Cars,Guitars
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8,905
Default

The Bible never "saved" anyone they made that decision prior to picking up the book

Historically witch hunts didn't happen because of Christianity indeed witch phobia in in the bible because it was already a superstition
__________________
Just another marketing ploy
Quote:
I've got a woman mean as she can be
sometimes I think, she's almost as mean as me
elphenor is online now  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #2138 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
How dooes one get that from a sentence where I declare they are both unchristlike AND Christians

Put another way The Bible says what you want it to say you get out of it what you came for

If you came for a justification for violence it's in there

If you came for ways to be more tolerant and peaceful it's in there too
I'm just gonna assume you're saying that there's bad **** in the Bible too (cause you sound like you're trying to debate on acid, please clean up your attempts at arguing) and I've been saying this whole time that I don't ****ing like any religions. I'm not arguing the position that Islam is terrible and Christianity is the bomb. I think that all religions are based on nonsense, and most if not all of them are very susceptible to violence. Islam is not immune from that just because so many Republicans are prejudiced *******s. Cultural conservatism's intolerance of non-Christian religions is a non-sequitur regarding Islam's ****tiness or non-****tiness.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #2139 (permalink)
Girls,Cars,Guitars
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8,905
Default

And I'm agreeing that it's nonsense

But it's irrelevant nonsense same as the way we pick what style tennis shoes to wear
__________________
Just another marketing ploy
Quote:
I've got a woman mean as she can be
sometimes I think, she's almost as mean as me
elphenor is online now  
Old 02-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #2140 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,502
Default

Except that tennis shoes do not have dogma, either scriptural or cultural, that guides the actions of their wearers. I'm honestly not sure how to proceed from here because we're just talking about really basic ****. The shoes you wear do not affect how you see the world. The god you worship can and often does. No pair of Nikes has ever inspired or even been used as a spurious justification for an atrocity. Religion and Islam have. I think you've oversimplified your argument to the point that you don't even have one.

I'm not even arguing that Islam is this great evil compared to other ideologies and religions, I simply think it's dumb to dismiss it as irrelevant as so many people try to do. It's an incredibly powerful force in the lives of millions of people, many of whom use it as a pretext for violence, and whether the specific words of the Quran have caused this violence is in fact irrelevant, because these people have still derived meaning from the texts of Islam that has at the very least justified their actions in their own minds.

Whatever the specifics of the relationship between Islam and Islamic terrorists, to pretend that there is no problem in modern Islam in any way is retarded.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.