Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/)
-   -   What Did President Trump Do Now? (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/87986-what-did-president-trump-do-now.html)

Key 12-24-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1787202)
If the election was based on a popular vote then the whole system would change and the process of trying to gain votes would be different. There's no saying which candidate would have won the popular vote if that was the basis.

And I'd imagine plenty more people would actually bother coming out to vote. For example, the republican turnout in California would increase quite significantly considering they aren't battling the electoral college.

Or y'know, you can just completely dismiss the fact that California, Oregon and Washington are always Dem states.

Frownland 12-24-2016 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1787209)
Or y'know, you can just completely dismiss the fact that California, Oregon and Washington are always Dem states.

Nah. The winner take all system makes minority votes not count and it deters from republicans from voting in largely blue states and vice versa. No one place is of 100% the same ideology.

Goofle 12-24-2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiiii (Post 1787209)
Or y'know, you can just completely dismiss the fact that California, Oregon and Washington are always Dem states.

http://i.imgur.com/UF1vQAB.gif

elphenor 12-24-2016 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1787202)
If the election was based on a popular vote then the whole system would change and the process of trying to gain votes would be different. There's no saying which candidate would have won the popular vote if that was the basis.

And I'd imagine plenty more people would actually bother coming out to vote. For example, the republican turnout in California would increase quite significantly considering they aren't battling the electoral college.


sorry no

In the current political climate low turnout hurts dems way more than it hurts Repubs this is why conservatives push for voter ID laws and the like while liberals typically want it to be as easy to vote as possible

additionally according to the data there is actually more Democrats in conservative states than there are Republicans in liberal states. In fact plainly speaking there are more Democrats in the country, period.

Goofle 12-24-2016 11:57 AM

Assuming nobody could ever change what party they are going to vote for you may be correct. But since people are allowed to change their minds, you're just guessing. If there was a change in voting system we would have to wait and see how that changed the elections and how the general public voted.

And I wasn't making the case that it would benefit the republicans or democrats overall, just that you would see a higher voter turnout overall and see places like California having a higher percentage of republican votes than normal.

elphenor 12-24-2016 12:36 PM

Yes but like I said that goes both ways and according to everything we know Texas would go blue way before cali would go pink

All the major cities save for San Antonio "military city" already vote left

This is not even taking into account by how gigantic a margin leftist states have more population than conservative ones

The Batlord 12-24-2016 12:37 PM

Cali went pinko a long time ago.

Chula Vista 12-24-2016 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1787202)
If the election was based on a popular vote then the whole system would change and the process of trying to gain votes would be different. There's no saying which candidate would have won the popular vote if that was the basis.

And I'd imagine plenty more people would actually bother coming out to vote. For example, the republican turnout in California would increase quite significantly considering they aren't battling the electoral college.

And your point is????

Democratic voters got complacent and didn't get their asses off of the couch because all of the pre-election night polls had Clinton winning big. Yet she still won by almost 3 million votes.

The Republican turnout this election was unheralded since Donnie boy was painted the underdog by the "big, bad, press", so all of the good ole boys wanted to have his back.

Yet he still lost the popular vote by a ridiculous amount. The election system in the US needs some maintenance.

And in other news.....

Quote:

President-elect Donald Trump will descend on Washington next month, buoyed by his upset victory and Republican control of Congress to implement his agenda.

But he’s facing a major obstacle: Trump will enter the White House as the least-popular incoming president in the modern era of public-opinion polling.

The down-in-the-dumps figures raise hard questions about whether he’ll have the political capital needed to push through his more controversial nominees and his aggressive legislative goals of repealing Obamacare, passing a major infrastructure spending plan and reforming immigration and tax policies.

On Election Day, just 38 percent of voters had a favorable opinion of Trump, compared to 60 percent who viewed him unfavorably — unheard of for a presidential-election victor.

Ol’ Qwerty Bastard 12-24-2016 12:46 PM

man Republicans are the worst
Democrats are so ****ing awesome

that's this thread in a nutshell

Cuthbert 12-24-2016 12:57 PM

Why is Chula's avi so big?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:13 PM.


© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.