Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2017, 12:43 PM   #4231 (permalink)
Gotcha
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,753
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
So, if oil comes from the breaking down of fossils over millions of years then how would we run out? Like, aren't other dead things going to break down over millions of years? Is there just some huge gap in time where things didn't live and we will have an oil shortage for a time?

I just don't fully understand this oil crisis thing. Couldn't the oil industries basically just tell us there is a shortage just so they can hike up the prices and make tons of money?
The rate of consumption is a lot faster than the rate of creation, and there is also the caveat of finding the oil and safely extracting it. That last part is a bigger contributor to the situation than straight up availability.
Frownland is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 02:47 PM   #4232 (permalink)
My Sorrow is Luminous
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 9,088
Default

You want to solve the crisis in the middle east move to clean energy stop pouring money into the hands of oppressive regimes

For those who aren't terrified enough of the threat of total extinction by freak weather
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

"That's the end of my life. The rest is posthumous."
elphenor is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 03:38 PM   #4233 (permalink)
Gotcha
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,753
Default

Travel ban ban has been appealed to a higher court. They will be on Trump's side because it is in no way unconstitutional (garbage, harmful policy or not).
Frownland is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 03:47 PM   #4234 (permalink)
subscribe to pewdiepie
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
So, if oil comes from the breaking down of fossils over millions of years then how would we run out? Like, aren't other dead things going to break down over millions of years? Is there just some huge gap in time where things didn't live and we will have an oil shortage for a time?

I just don't fully understand this oil crisis thing. Couldn't the oil industries basically just tell us there is a shortage just so they can hike up the prices and make tons of money?
FYI as far as I know most oil comes from algae, not fossils.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #4235 (permalink)
Put The Cult In Culture
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
FYI as far as I know most oil comes from algae, not fossils.
Yeah, I don't know **** about it was why I was asking questions. Probably better off doing my own research on it to be honest but I'm not really interested enough into putting forth that effort so I was hoping I could get an educated answer. And I think I did.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 04:23 PM   #4236 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,374
Default

Abiogenic petroleum origin

Quote:
Some abiogenic hypotheses have proposed that oil and gas did not originate from fossil deposits, but have instead originated from deep carbon deposits, present since the formation of the Earth.[2] Additionally, it has been suggested that hydrocarbons may have arrived on Earth from solid bodies such as comets and asteroids from the late formation of the Solar System, carrying hydrocarbons with them.[3][4]
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 04:23 PM   #4237 (permalink)
subscribe to pewdiepie
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
Yeah, I don't know **** about it was why I was asking questions. Probably better off doing my own research on it to be honest but I'm not really interested enough into putting forth that effort so I was hoping I could get an educated answer. And I think I did.
Yeah me neither. Just kinda knew that one thing. Which is why I'm actually checking out a Frownland link for once.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 05:16 PM   #4238 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
****ing rich oil baron aliens! I knew it was them all along!
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #4239 (permalink)
Remember the underscore
 
Pet_Sounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The other side
Posts: 2,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
When it comes to global warming I trust the cosmologists and meteorologists that spend their whole lives studying this and have absolutely nothing to gain from lying. Yeah, I've heard the bull**** about them lying to keep a job or what ever like we will one day decide that we don't give a **** about predicting weather or hurricanes any more.

They all say that the globe is warming and it is linked to the amount of C02 in our atmosphere which is directly linked to the C02 we emit mostly from huge factories and power plants and **** like that. I have searched and I cannot find one person who's occupancy specializes in the study of weather or atmospheres or anything like that that denies that global warming is real and a man made threat. Of all of them that say it's real, I've found one that says that even though it is a man made threat, it is no where near as imminent of a threat as media portrays and that we have plenty of time to fix it before irreversible damage happens. But yeah, none that out right deny global warming being a man made threat.


I challenge anybody to find a climate scientist, a cosmologist, a meteorologist or anybody that has anything to do with studying the specific fields of atmospheres or weather patterns that denies global warming. I put my faith in those dudes more than I do with your ****ing oil industries and politicians that still think talking snakes existed.
1. I think you're confusing comologists with climatologists.

2. It's CO2 (as in one carbon atom, two oxygen atoms), not C02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
The jury is no longer out. We are responsible for the unique rate of change that we are experiencing.

This is a great resource that addresses pretty much all of the mainstream climate change denial arguments in both laymen's terms and more in depth scientific explanations. It is incredibly well-sourced and transparent.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php
There is also stuff like this. Fyi, I'm not a "denier"—just pointing out that parties on both sides of the debate can be biased and it's not as much of a black-and-white issue as it's usually made out to be.
__________________
Everybody's dying just to get the disease
Pet_Sounds is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 08:36 PM   #4240 (permalink)
Put The Cult In Culture
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
1. I think you're confusing comologists with climatologists.

2. It's CO2 (as in one carbon atom, two oxygen atoms), not C02.



There is also stuff like this. Fyi, I'm not a "denier"—just pointing out that parties on both sides of the debate can be biased and it's not as much of a black-and-white issue as it's usually made out to be.
No, cosmologists study atmospheres. It's one of the fields they study.

Sorry for my scientific faux pas though.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.