Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #41 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,508
Default

I'll up my game when he ups his.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #42 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'm quite surprised you didn't say just ****ing kill yourself. Showing great restraint, Batty!
Here read what you wrote to Ki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
How can I take it any other way than personally and seriously, when the post related to my advising everyone that my favourite aunt had passed away? If there's something more serious or personal than that, I don't know what it is.

There are times for jokes, Ki, and this is not one of them. If I write something intensely personal and you say it was too long, then I can't in all honesty see that as being a joke, and if it was, it wasn't funny. Obviously I'm not insinuating that you don't care, and while I don't wish to make a federal case of this, I think it's important to distinguish between what could be seen as banter and outright rudeness or thoughtlessness. Even Batty had a sincere comment, and if anyone was going to make an off-colour joke I might have expected it from him. But you have to say (and it's odd I know but there it is) in this case, he had more class than you.

I've checked it out: twenty-one seconds to read without rushing, and anyone in all fairness who reads a message that begins "My aunt passed away" and can't be bothered to read the next few lines, well, I don't know what to say. Had you read it through (a valuable twenty seconds I'm sure you could have spent in other ways) you would not have needed to make the remark that you did here, committing a social faux pas of sorts, and this issue would not have come up. Given that, had you not read it and then responded with "sorry man didn't read/see the post" that would be better than, essentially, "sorry could not be bothered". Considering how people (including me) have supported you recently, the idea of even thinking of making a joke about this comes across as very cold and emotionless, whether that was the intention or not.

tl;dr: I didn't find your comment funny, I don't see it as a joke and I kind of doubt anyone but you gets it. Maybe have a bit more consideration next time, yeah?
You insult people by hiding behind the Batlord as if he said it. I had a friend who did commit suicide recently and I find that phrase "just ****ing kill yourself" just plain fucking revolting. It's not a joke, it's not even an off-colour joke. Now you sunk lower than Ki, I think you owe him an apology.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,147
Default

ITT: i learned you cant talk about 4chan without turning into 4chan.
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...
DwnWthVwls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #44 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
riseagainstrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 3,319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
How so? When myopia is taken directly from a medical condition and no one ever uses "hyperopia" to mean too much discernment or too broad a view of something. Face it you said you were grown but then slide right back into your old ways and slighted people with a medical condition by using a word to mean something it never was meant to mean.

edit: I appreciate your irony.
I don't know if you're trolling or if this is your thing (hoping it's the former). Legally, people with glasses aren't a protected class; morally, it's obvious I was referring to the common use in argument of philosophical narrow sightedness; and forum-ly, this whole digression is off-topic. Not to mention, pedantic.

edit: 'just ****ing kill yourself' was like every 7th post I made 8 years ago. My oh my how my contributions have changed... Yet another reason I'm sad/scared that 30 year olds behave like this still.

Spoiler for Goofle response:
Quote:
Segments of the Alt-Right do go into white nationalism and identity. There's no evidence that these beliefs extend to Trump's administration. If Mexicans and people in the middle east where as white as paper, the same policies would be proposed. We can call it "Islamophobia" and whatever you call disliking Mexicans irrationally, or look into other reasons why people and a President would want to take those actions but, as I said, there's nothing that links these actions to race.
This is a non-answer, and I think you know it. Campaign rhetoric, while often extreme, sets expectations for policy. Add inflammatory anti-Muslim rhetoric to an inner circle of advisors with noted ties to hysterically Islamophobic organizations and you have an administration that implements ideaological bans. The differences between Obama's 2011 implementation and Trump's 2017 fiasco are well documented elsewhere. They also don't matter in a way, because Trump repeatedly said that he was calling for a "complete and total shutdown of Muslims entering America". Intent matters, especially from the Twitter President. So there are direct links to Islamophobia. As for anti-Mexican sentiment, the angst here is more economic. Mexicans are a convenient other. NAFTA, for it's flaws, reduced the flood of immigration, because it moved well-paying jobs to Mexico, where labor (because of the cost of living) is cheaper. Poor Americans still like their cars, their TVs, etc. I'm not saying they must do without, but economics is heartless. Live in an American town where those things are part of the standard of living and I'll show you a Mexican barrio where they can package food/assemble electronics/make widgets as well as their unskilled American counterpart, for 20% of the wage. So the economic and racial resentment is articially manipulated by many of the same people that benefit from it. The millionaire/billionaire class a have it easier when they aim poor white ire at Mexican immigrants and complex trade agreements than the alternative.

Quote:
Most of the issues MRA's talk about are ignored, so it's just a matter of living in reality.
Also a non-answer. You can't just assert I'm not living in reality. I asked you to explain your beliefs. Don't point me to a YouTube video. Type them out, learn how to express them. If you don't want to fine, but not being able to argue your positions makes you the rube too many of my friends assume people like you are. I don't, I really want to dialog. Only way I'll survive the next 2-4 years... By the way, sourcing is fine for a conversation like this. I'm being pre-emptive here, but your quick non-answers aren't encouraging.


Quote:
I believe that the word "justice" is fine all by itself. As soon as you start tagging words at the beginning or end of perfect concepts, you open up a worm hole. Going from pure truth and morality, to coerced and ideological ways of dealing with things.

Privileged people have a privileged position in American society.
But justice can have many shadings. Legal, societal, tribal, etc. Doesn't mean they're all moral in the same way. Pure truth in a moral or philosophical sense isn't objectively attainable. I don't know if you're religious, and that's an entirely separate argument, but all but the most stringent of codes recognize circumstance as, at least, influencing action. Regardless, I completely agree that coercion is almost never the answer (outside lawful imprisonment, and the like). Certainly not over things as petty as 'Gamergate'.

I get it. You didn't own slaves. Neither did your parents, or your grandparents, or your great-grandparents. Maybe you're family isn't well-off. Maybe your job sucks. You hear 'white privilege' and you think 'rich privilege'. That's not what white privilege means and any serious thinker will tell you that you shouldn't feel guilty for being white or feel bad for being told that you don't have it as bad as black folk. I get angry when I hear that and rightfully so. It's about the aggregate. It's about the lifetime. Of everyone. In the country. STATISTICALLY, you will have a better life than people of color. The straight line is this is due to slavery. Not your fault. Not my fault. My people were in Ireland until the early 1900's. But as a white man, I will make more money and live longer. If I get arrested for possession of narcotics, I'll likely serve less time.

What you do with this knowledge, I don't know. I'm still recovering from my rejection of the idea of white privilege, which I only seriously thought about within the last few years. But your statement is a meaningless tautology.

This is getting long. Happy to continue (takes me a day to digest and gather my thoughts, so long form correspondence) if you want to take this to email or something.
__________________
One note timeless, came out of nowhere...

Last edited by riseagainstrocks; 02-27-2017 at 07:25 PM.
riseagainstrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #45 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainstrocks View Post
I don't know if you're trolling or if this is your thing (hoping it's the former). Legally, people with glasses aren't a protected class; morally, it's obvious I was referring to the common use in argument of philosophical narrow sightedness; and forum-ly, this whole digression is off-topic. Not to mention, pedantic.

edit: 'just ****ing kill yourself' was like every 7th post I made 8 years ago. My oh my how my contributions have changed... Yet another reason I'm sad/scared that 30 year olds behave like this still.
Didn't you open the thread talking about how you use to use inappropriate words? All I am doing is talking about how a word should be properly use, to understand how and why it is being misused. So I think it is germane to the topic at hand.

"Language" is part of the title, no? If you going to say "it is off-topic and don't talk about it," I would have to say that 'that is just another form of censorship' and "censorship" is the control of "language" and isn't that what the topic of this thread is about?

Understandable, people with myopia and hypermetropia aren't a protected class under the law. I am not speaking from a legal point of view. I hope you are not saying people with eye problems are fair game because they are not protected under the law. You talk about "morally," so shouldn't you be concerned with the philosophical principles of right and wrong and be able to do that without looking to the law to provide you with morals and ethics?

so let's recap:
Hindsight ability to clearly understand events after they unfold.
Foresight ability able to predict events before the unfold, or understand who a situation will unfold.
Insight the ability to have a deep understanding of people or things, the ability to perceive beyond the surface.
Nearsighted or myopia is the ability to see near things more clearly.
Farsighted or hypermetropia is the ability to see things at a distance.
Narrow sightedness isn't too commonly used, it's probably mix of "narrow-mindedness" and "short-sightedness."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #46 (permalink)
Girls,Cars,Guitars
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8,909
Default

the word wasn't improperly used at all stop while you're behind mate everyone is embarrassed for you
__________________
Just another marketing ploy
Quote:
I've got a woman mean as she can be
sometimes I think, she's almost as mean as me
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #47 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
the word wasn't improperly used at all stop while you're behind mate everyone is embarrassed for you
Well, I can't account for you insensitivity. I think you go around pissing off members, and I think you treat Chula like a total jerk. If anyone you should be embarrassed about, it is yourself. So don't worry about me trying to defend people with sight problems. I don't expect people to understand how people with glasses get mistreated, so it's no shirt off my back.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #48 (permalink)
Girls,Cars,Guitars
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8,909
Default

Ahahaha nvm keep going
__________________
Just another marketing ploy
Quote:
I've got a woman mean as she can be
sometimes I think, she's almost as mean as me
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #49 (permalink)
Bunnyhenge
 
rostasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,179
Default

.

Last edited by rostasi; 03-10-2017 at 08:13 PM.
rostasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:40 PM   #50 (permalink)
Resident rightwing nutjob
 
Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Detroit
Posts: 2,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
ITT: i learned you cant talk about 4chan without turning into 4chan.
For real I feel like I'm watching an argument on /mu/ right. I'm just sitting back and enjoying.
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.