Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #3631 (permalink)
free hugs
 
MarieMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Lucem's mom
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
The difference between a cis Tom boy and a non binary female is a matter of semantics and which label you embrace.
I'm a cis tomboy and I don't think that's true. There's a subtle difference
__________________
MarieMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #3632 (permalink)
Drek-Cola
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10,448
Default

I guess I don't see who benefits from assuming bad intent

a false positive in this case hurts no one, a false negative contributes to a type of culture that has disheartening rates of trans suicide

discrimination and exclusion for anyone who isn't cis gender is very real, and maybe you're living in a fortunately progressive place to not be aware of that

also I prefer to listen listen to the experiences of marginalized groups directly instead of demanding they prove themselves to me with "Science" or whatever, it's not really important whether I understand it
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
AOTY 2019

Legendary Pink Dots - Angel In The Detail

https://legendarypinkdots1.bandcamp....-in-the-detail
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #3633 (permalink)
jwb
Music Addict
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieMarie View Post
I'm a cis tomboy and I don't think that's true. There's a subtle difference
if you decided you were not binary I probably couldn't tell the difference
jwb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #3634 (permalink)
free hugs
 
MarieMarie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Lucem's mom
Posts: 533
Default

I think the subtlety arises because we experience our gender in many layers. The first is obviously our sex, there's also an obvious layer of superficial conventions: how we dress, act, our interests, etc. I think that there's something in between though, a part of our gender that's mainly sexual (but not our sexual orientation). I think that's part of why I, and many other young tomboys, come to identify themselves pretty unambiguously as female once they reach puberty. I'm not sure though and I need to go to sleep so maybe I'll read this tomorrow and be like 'what'
__________________
MarieMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #3635 (permalink)
jwb
Music Addict
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I guess I don't see who benefits from assuming bad intent

a false positive in this case hurts no one, a false negative contributes to a type of culture that has disheartening rates of trans suicide

discrimination and exclusion for anyone who isn't cis gender is very real, and maybe you're living in a fortunately progressive place to not be aware of that

also I prefer to listen listen to the experiences of marginalized groups directly instead of demanding they prove themselves to me with "Science" or whatever, it's not really important whether I understand it
I don't demand anything of them

I'm just being honest about how I see it. I believe it's trending and people are jumping on the bandwagon. Not like that means I want to treat them any differently.

What do you think about otherkin?
jwb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #3636 (permalink)
Drek-Cola
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post

What do you think about otherkin?
I don't judge

solidarity with anyone who's different, weird, queer, whatever as long as they give it back
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
AOTY 2019

Legendary Pink Dots - Angel In The Detail

https://legendarypinkdots1.bandcamp....-in-the-detail
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:32 PM   #3637 (permalink)
jwb
Music Addict
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 661
Default

Do you buy that they maybe should've been born a different species?
jwb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #3638 (permalink)
Drek-Cola
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Do you buy that they maybe should've been born a different species?
No

but, again, should have been born a different sex, I think, is not even necessarily the right metaphor for transgender
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
AOTY 2019

Legendary Pink Dots - Angel In The Detail

https://legendarypinkdots1.bandcamp....-in-the-detail
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #3639 (permalink)
jwb
Music Addict
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 661
Default

Yet that is largely what they proclaim and is what their actions seem geared towards

Eg injecting hormones of the opposite sex, plastic surgery designed to mimic the opposite sex, etc
jwb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #3640 (permalink)
WWWP f*cks dogs
 
Doug McClasky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 38,574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I don't judge

solidarity with anyone who's different, weird, queer, whatever as long as they give it back
Furries?
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
Doug McClasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.