Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2018, 03:01 AM   #851 (permalink)
cooler commie than elph
 
Isbjørn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a hole, help
Posts: 2,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
what good is any of it as long as workplaces are undemocratic

mandatory union law for every workplace exceeding X amount of employees

that's the bare minimum, full democratization of labor is the long term aim
I'd be against a mandatary union law, but I support the right to organize unions with few restrictions. Unions can't be organized through decree from above, they need to be built from below. In the late Soviet period, most workplaces in the USSR and Eastern Bloc countries were formally unionized, but the union representatives were bought up and loyal to the state and strikes were usually put down. Unions that nominally represent labor but practically represent capital are very effective tools for keeping the working class passive. In Norway, the "three party cooperation" between the state, capital and labor is basically formalized and greatly limits the range of action for the unions. Only independent unions can be weapons of class struggle.
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:12 AM   #852 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isbjørn View Post
How does anyone suppose we get universal basic income except through class struggle? The ruling class doesn't just hand out concessions, those are won through organizing and fighting.

That being said, I'm against UBI in any society that does not have a jobs guarantee. In this case, it will be used as a political tool for the capitalist class to cut welfare and avoid adressing unemployment. However, in a society with a jobs guarantee and in which the socially necessary labor time is reduced to a minimum, I am all for it.
Politics aside, welcome back
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:29 AM   #853 (permalink)
cooler commie than elph
 
Isbjørn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a hole, help
Posts: 2,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MERIT] View Post
Politics aside, welcome back
Thanks fam!
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:03 AM   #854 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,171
Default

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-ha...CNM-00-10aac3a

22-year-old with deadly disease loses disability insurance

Quote:
Megan Willis lives with cystic fibrosis...her Social Security benefits were terminated and she lost Medicaid. Since she lives in Florida, one of 14 states without expanded Medicaid, she had no other way to get it. Her family can't afford private insurance...Social Security is targeting young people with chronic illness in an effort to reduce the number of people getting benefits...It really is a life or death situation
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20353700

Quote:
Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disorder that causes severe damage to the lungs, digestive system and other organs in the body.
Cystic fibrosis affects the cells that produce mucus, sweat and digestive juices. These secreted fluids are normally thin and slippery. But in people with cystic fibrosis, a defective gene causes the secretions to become sticky and thick. Instead of acting as a lubricant, the secretions plug up tubes, ducts and passageways, especially in the lungs and pancreas.

Although cystic fibrosis requires daily care, people with the condition are usually able to attend school and work, and often have a better quality of life than people with cystic fibrosis had in previous decades. Improvements in screening and treatments mean people with cystic fibrosis now may live into their mid- to late 30s, on average, and some are living into their 40s and 50s.

My take:

Why the **** are we so obsessed with school and work? I’ve seen first hand the brutality of CF. It ****ing rips your lungs apart and kills you. Is it ****ing possible you might be able to work while being kicked in the ribs five times a day and being water boarded 24/7? Yeah maybe. I just hope we make it to a time when historians will look back on this **** in horror.

If you can’t cut a break for someone with CF you are a cruel piece of ****. How can people with a disease that’s probably going to wipe you out in your thirties be subject to periodic reviews? What the **** else do you need to ****ing know.

Seriously, **** America. This place is a goddamn horror story. This **** is ****ing shameful.
__________________
2017 & 2018 Member of the Year Back2Back

experimental music on Spotify worth checking out

FREAK FIGHTER JOURNAL (Awarded 2018 Journal of the Year)

free jazz 2018 thread

Drone/Ambient Releases of 2018

OccultHawk Reviews Southern States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
There's probably some reasonable middle ground between Leave It to Beaver and being forced to suck your step-father's dick in the basement after your mom goes to work.
OccultHawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:14 AM   #855 (permalink)
Mord
 
Zhanteimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 4,498
Default

What a disgrace! Glad I'm not there. Serious medical issues in my family in 2018 and thanked my lucky stars I am in a country with a reasonable health care system.
__________________
"Use every man after his desert, and who shall 'scape whipping?"
Zhanteimi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:11 AM   #856 (permalink)
Girls,Cars,Guitars
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 8,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isbjørn View Post
I'd be against a mandatary union law, but I support the right to organize unions with few restrictions. Unions can't be organized through decree from above, they need to be built from below. In the late Soviet period, most workplaces in the USSR and Eastern Bloc countries were formally unionized, but the union representatives were bought up and loyal to the state and strikes were usually put down. Unions that nominally represent labor but practically represent capital are very effective tools for keeping the working class passive. In Norway, the "three party cooperation" between the state, capital and labor is basically formalized and greatly limits the range of action for the unions. Only independent unions can be weapons of class struggle.
while I see your point,

there's nothing that's stopped ground up Unions from corruption either

I'm simply saying the laws that now prevent unions could just as easily be changed to embolden them
__________________
Just another marketing ploy
Quote:
I've got a woman mean as she can be
sometimes I think, she's almost as mean as me
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #857 (permalink)
Master Of Muzak
 
Anteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere swarthy
Posts: 3,950
Default

I'm surprised some other country with less regulatory red tape hasn't already found a cure for CF.
__________________
My Top 30 Albums of 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
You can't blame the Jews for everything...just most things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
Trump might be the best thing since free jazz.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:57 AM   #858 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: In the Void
Posts: 166
Default

I can and will make it work one way or the other because I grew up in poverty. I'm used to having odds stacked against me and so on. It's nice to catch a break every now and then, but in all actuality I do actually get a genuine thrill out of complying with corporate and management standards to the best of my ability in order to challenge those in this social structure that would judge me based upon my class by putting them in a corner, alone with their own thoughts, as I've spend most of my life, to see how they fair when the axis has been flipped. I'm what you'd call an Anti-Business Businessman in that I will comply with all of your policies and procedures and MAKE you face your greatest of fears if you choose to impose them upon me as per your lack of personal, individual management. In in other words: I am an egotistical CEO/CFO's worst ****ing nightmare.
__________________
"Like whispers in the dark..."
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:03 AM   #859 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
I can and will make it work one way or the other because I grew up in poverty. I'm used to having odds stacked against me and so on. It's nice to catch a break every now and then, but in all actuality I do actually get a genuine thrill out of complying with corporate and management standards to the best of my ability in order to challenge those in this social structure that would judge me based upon my class by putting them in a corner, alone with their own thoughts, as I've spend most of my life, to see how they fair when the axis has been flipped. I'm what you'd call an Anti-Business Businessman in that I will comply with all of your policies and procedures and MAKE you face your greatest of fears if you choose to impose them upon me as per your lack of personal, individual management. In in other words: I am an egotistical CEO/CFO's worst ****ing nightmare.
That’s a pretty good spin on being a sellout bootlicking asskisser.
__________________
2017 & 2018 Member of the Year Back2Back

experimental music on Spotify worth checking out

FREAK FIGHTER JOURNAL (Awarded 2018 Journal of the Year)

free jazz 2018 thread

Drone/Ambient Releases of 2018

OccultHawk Reviews Southern States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
There's probably some reasonable middle ground between Leave It to Beaver and being forced to suck your step-father's dick in the basement after your mom goes to work.
OccultHawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #860 (permalink)
Ask me how!
 
Oriphiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The States
Posts: 4,721
Default

Shush, boot licking and ass kissing are perfectly valid fetishes.
__________________
----------------------
|---Mic's Albums---|
----------------------
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.