Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Your FBI Rep
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Nitpick all you want, man. Need, want: what's the difference really here?
*squints*

Are you serious?
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
*squints*

Are you serious?
In this case, yes.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #13 (permalink)
Your FBI Rep
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,490
Default

The difference between needing to oppress the lower class and wanting to oppress the lower class? Those really sound analogous to you?
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,165
Default

Quote:
If everyone was ultra-peaceful you can bet it would only be a while before someone punched someone.
__________________
2017 & 2018 Member of the Year Back2Back

experimental music on Spotify worth checking out

FREAK FIGHTER JOURNAL (Awarded 2018 Journal of the Year)

free jazz 2018 thread

Drone/Ambient Releases of 2018

OccultHawk Reviews Southern States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
There's probably some reasonable middle ground between Leave It to Beaver and being forced to suck your step-father's dick in the basement after your mom goes to work.
OccultHawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
The difference between needing to oppress the lower class and wanting to oppress the lower class? Those really sound analogous to you?
Well obviously not. What I mean is that someone has to do the work. It's a need. If nothing is done, then nothing will result. Of course it's not to be condoned, but the point is that while the upper classes wanted someone else to do the work, they also needed them to, as they weren't going to do it. So in this case, need and want were and are interchangeable. This isn't always the case of course, but here it is.

Split hairs all you want: I'm not saying by any means the setup is right or should be as it is, but that's the way things are. Maybe it is a need, I don't know: a deepseated need to control and boss around and lord it over the lower classes that drove, and drives, those in power. I'm not one, so I wouldn't know.

I've just watched a three-part documentary on Hitler. He wanted power, of course, we all know that. But didn't he also have a burning need for it? Doesn't mean it's right, but needs can drive wants.

But yeah, thanks both of you for focussing on one perhaps misused or ill-chosen word in my OP and ignoring the actual intent and theme of the thread. Great. Well done. Think you could actually take part in the thread now, instead of pulling it apart? Got an actual opinion, or a comment on poverty, not how I happened to phrase something?

tl;dr: ignore the word I used if it annoys you or you don't agree with it and move on with an actual contribution if you can please.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Your FBI Rep
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Well obviously not. What I mean is that someone has to do the work. It's a need. If nothing is done, then nothing will result. Of course it's not to be condoned, but the point is that while the upper classes wanted someone else to do the work, they also needed them to, as they weren't going to do it. So in this case, need and want were and are interchangeable. This isn't always the case of course, but here it is.

Split hairs all you want: I'm not saying by any means the setup is right or should be as it is, but that's the way things are. Maybe it is a need, I don't know: a deepseated need to control and boss around and lord it over the lower classes that drove, and drives, those in power. I'm not one, so I wouldn't know.

I've just watched a three-part documentary on Hitler. He wanted power, of course, we all know that. But didn't he also have a burning need for it? Doesn't mean it's right, but needs can drive wants.

tl;dr: ignore the word I used if it annoys you or you don't agree with it and move on with an actual contribution if you can please.
Language exposes unconscious attitudes that we unknowingly perpetuate.

Quote:
But yeah, thanks both of you for focussing on one perhaps misused or ill-chosen word in my OP and ignoring the actual intent and theme of the thread. Great. Well done. Think you could actually take part in the thread now, instead of pulling it apart? Got an actual opinion, or a comment on poverty, not how I happened to phrase something?
The very obvious opinion on it: is bad.

How do you feel about rape?
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
How do you feel about rape?
I really wish my uncle would have invested in lube.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

Fine: the word has been changed in the OP. Can we stop getting bogged down now, and move on?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,165
Default

Quote:
Would it be an oversimplification (though still, I believe, true) to say that poor people have never really been poor because they're poor, but because the richer classes keep them so?
Iím not trying to hard ass you. If youíre trying to present two possible causes of poverty for consideration whatís the first one?
__________________
2017 & 2018 Member of the Year Back2Back

experimental music on Spotify worth checking out

FREAK FIGHTER JOURNAL (Awarded 2018 Journal of the Year)

free jazz 2018 thread

Drone/Ambient Releases of 2018

OccultHawk Reviews Southern States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
There's probably some reasonable middle ground between Leave It to Beaver and being forced to suck your step-father's dick in the basement after your mom goes to work.
OccultHawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,152
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I really wish my uncle would have invested in lube.
I don't typically speak up about jokes especially since I personally make jokes as well. However, I'm gonna ask that jokes about rape take a place off the forum. Nothing about it is funny or anything of the sort.

I'm just asking nicely. It's just not something you joke about.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.