Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2019, 06:09 PM   #111 (permalink)
Willowy Elven Boy
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Joe Meek's Ghost
Posts: 14,092
Default

I'd say motivation is not necessarily tied to intelligence mate
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Are beehives and ant colonies unnatural? Cause they cooperate on a level we could hardly dream of.
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #112 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,822
Default

I think it's tied to it in terms of performance. If you are more motivated then you will do a better job honing whatever innate abilities you have.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #113 (permalink)
Ask me how!
 
Oriphiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: The States
Posts: 5,292
Default

__________________
----------------------
|---Mic's Albums---|
----------------------
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #114 (permalink)
Willowy Elven Boy
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Joe Meek's Ghost
Posts: 14,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I think it's tied to it in terms of performance. If you are more motivated then you will do a better job honing whatever innate abilities you have.
that would be lucem's point no?

you'd simply try harder on the test and therefore score better

and because you're the type of person that would do that, you're more likely to jump through arbitrary hoops and thus end up more successful

I don't know if this is true or not, but it's something to think about

I strongly suspect a percentage of high intelligence individuals simply refuse to do the dumb things that are being asked of them and thus get labeled as having "behavioral problems", it's a way society isolates dissent from an early age
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Are beehives and ant colonies unnatural? Cause they cooperate on a level we could hardly dream of.
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #115 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
That's an assumption. There are obvious incentives for high SAT scores, for example. If you take the SAts and don't care how well you score, you're pretty much a subpar intelligence mouth breather that deserves to work at Taco Bell.

What makes you so sure that high IQ individuals can't be incentivized but the mouth breathers can? Your article doesn't establish that at all.
You're assuming everybody wants the same things and thinks exactly the same. Not everybody is going to be motivated by the same things. I'm sure there's people that the money has no effect on while maybe something else would.

The people that are already scoring high could be bribed in to scoring higher. I just think they are already motivated to score high in the first place. It makes more sense to me that the reason why an IQ test is good at finding out who's more likely to succeed is because the people more motivated to succeed would be more motivated to score high on an IQ test rather than it being an accurate measurement of intelligence which, beyond that one test, most psychologists actually reject for a variety of reasons.

Oh, and we could get into how drastically IQs can change over time too. Or how training can have a drastic impact on your IQ scores.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:22 PM   #116 (permalink)
Willowy Elven Boy
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Joe Meek's Ghost
Posts: 14,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
I resisted the urge to post this

you clearly have less shame than I
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Are beehives and ant colonies unnatural? Cause they cooperate on a level we could hardly dream of.
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #117 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
that would be lucem's point no?

you'd simply try harder on the test and therefore score better

and because you're the type of person that would do that, you're more likely to jump through arbitrary hoops and thus end up more successful

I don't know if this is true or not, but it's something to think about

I strongly suspect a percentage of high intelligence individuals simply refuse to do the dumb things that are being asked of them and thus get labeled as having "behavioral problems", it's a way society isolates dissent from an early age
You're assuming a few dollars provides an extra incentive people who score poorly but not people who score well. If effort is a part of the equation, why would you assume that people at the higher end can't give more effort?

Oh right, cause you're assuming the difference is all in the effort. Cause that gels with your "everybody the same" ideology. Even though I know damn well you've met plenty of stupid people who you wouldn't bet on to get a great score.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:26 PM   #118 (permalink)
Willowy Elven Boy
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Joe Meek's Ghost
Posts: 14,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post

Oh, and we could get into how drastically IQs can change over time too. Or how training can have a drastic impact on your IQ scores.
at face value, I don't think anyone can truly believe human intelligence is simple enough to be boiled down to a number

it's hardly necessary to even get into the methodology
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Are beehives and ant colonies unnatural? Cause they cooperate on a level we could hardly dream of.
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #119 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
You're assuming everybody wants the same things and thinks exactly the same. Not everybody is going to be motivated by the same things. I'm sure there's people that the money has no effect on while maybe something else would.

The people that are already scoring high could be bribed in to scoring higher. I just think they are already motivated to score high in the first place. It makes more sense to me that the reason why an IQ test is good at finding out who's more likely to succeed is because the people more motivated to succeed would be more motivated to score high on an IQ test rather than it being an accurate measurement of intelligence which, beyond that one test, most psychologists actually reject for a variety of reasons.

Oh, and we could get into how drastically IQs can change over time too. Or how training can have a drastic impact on your IQ scores.
everyone who takes the SAT has the same goal. To get into college. If you don't understand this and you take the SATs anyway, you should be wearing a protective helmet

Lol @ the people who score high could be bribed. You just as well could say the people who score low could be bribed to take a fall.

The scores change over time cause people are getting smarter. Guess what happens? The scores are re adjusted so the average is always 100.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #120 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
at face value, I don't think anyone can truly believe human intelligence is simple enough to be boiled down to a number

it's hardly necessary to even get into the methodology
I'm not saying it captures every element of human Intelligence. But it is measuring something that correlates largely with himself intelligence.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.