Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2019, 06:30 PM   #121 (permalink)
Willowy Elven Boy
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Joe Meek's Ghost
Posts: 14,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
You're assuming a few dollars provides an extra incentive people who score poorly but not people who score well. If effort is a part of the equation, why would you assume that people at the higher end can't give more effort?

Oh right, cause you're assuming the difference is all in the effort. Cause that gels with your "everybody the same" ideology. Even though I know damn well you've met plenty of stupid people who you wouldn't bet on to get a great score.
I think simply motivation and intelligence may not correlate

a few dollars may motivate some and not others

Im not assuming the difference is all in the effort, I think it's one factor to consider

nor do I think people are the same, I think they're all different and excel at different things and think in different ways
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Are beehives and ant colonies unnatural? Cause they cooperate on a level we could hardly dream of.
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #122 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,874
Default

Why would the money specifically only motivate the people with lower scores

Cause otherwise it's not a factor to consider
jwb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:32 PM   #123 (permalink)
Willowy Elven Boy
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Joe Meek's Ghost
Posts: 14,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I'm not saying it captures every element of human Intelligence. But it is measuring something that correlates largely with himself intelligence.
it correlates largely with being good at IQ tests and similar problem solving puzzles
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Are beehives and ant colonies unnatural? Cause they cooperate on a level we could hardly dream of.
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:34 PM   #124 (permalink)
Willowy Elven Boy
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Joe Meek's Ghost
Posts: 14,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Why would the money specifically only motivate the people with lower scores

Cause otherwise it's not a factor to consider
if we assume the lower scores are as a result of not being motivated it kinda would answer itself

some people have more intrinsic motivation than others
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Are beehives and ant colonies unnatural? Cause they cooperate on a level we could hardly dream of.
elphenor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:37 PM   #125 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
You're assuming a few dollars provides an extra incentive people who score poorly but not people who score well. If effort is a part of the equation, why would you assume that people at the higher end can't give more effort?

Oh right, cause you're assuming the difference is all in the effort. Cause that gels with your "everybody the same" ideology. Even though I know damn well you've met plenty of stupid people who you wouldn't bet on to get a great score.
Now you're straw manning and poisoning the well.

Neither of us said it means nothing. Of course we think that intelligence levels vary. I think it's more complicated than a simple test and that the test isn't as important in measuring it as you think. I think motivation is much more important to it than you're giving credence. Even then, there's evidence that you can train your IQ. People that participate in more brain stimulating activities tend to do better in the areas related to what's being stimulated.

https://www.livescience.com/36143-iq-change-time.html

I also read this article that used George Bush as an example of somebody that had high IQ (in the top 10 percentile) and had self admitted troubles with cognitive ability.

https://som.yale.edu/news/2009/11/wh...an-youre-smart
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #126 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
it correlates largely with being good at IQ tests and similar problem solving puzzles
Which correlates with things like abstract and spatial reasoning, memory, processing, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
if we assume the lower scores are as a result of not being motivated it kinda would answer itself

some people have more intrinsic motivation than others
...if you assume that's the only factor, and that people who score well can't be any more motivated to try, yes.
jwb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #127 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
Now you're straw manning and poisoning the well.

Neither of us said it means nothing. Of course we think that intelligence levels vary. I think it's more complicated than a simple test and that the test isn't as important in measuring it as you think. I think motivation is much more important to it than you're giving credence. Even then, there's evidence that you can train your IQ. People that participate in more brain stimulating activities tend to do better in the areas related to what's being stimulated.

https://www.livescience.com/36143-iq-change-time.html

I also read this article that used George Bush as an example of somebody that had high IQ (in the top 10 percentile) and had self admitted troubles with cognitive ability.

https://som.yale.edu/news/2009/11/wh...an-youre-smart
why would you respond to my post to elph instead of my post to you?

I didn't strawman you at all. You are essentially arguing that motivating could make up the difference in IQ scores. At least own that instead of copping out.
jwb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #128 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
...if you assume that's the only factor, and that people who score well can't be any more motivated to try, yes.
No, actually, not really. Because being motivated already doesn't mean you can't have more motivation. That's a false dichotomy. There could be varying levels of motivation and that could result in varying IQ scores.

Is elph already said, I don't think it's the sole reason, I just think it's a major factor.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:44 PM   #129 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
why would you respond to my post to elph instead of my post to you?

I didn't strawman you at all. You are essentially arguing that motivating could make up the difference in IQ scores. At least own that instead of copping out.
When did I cop out of that? Oh, wait, because you were straw manning my position to mean something else.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #130 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
No, actually, not really. Because being motivated already doesn't mean you can't have more motivation. That's a false dichotomy. There could be varying levels of motivation and that could result in varying IQ scores.

Is elph already said, I don't think it's the sole reason, I just think it's a major factor.
Uhhh... That is my point

If you can potentially motivate everyone to score higher than they do, that changes nothing since the scores are based on what the average score is.
jwb is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.