Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2021, 05:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
jwb
MAKE MB GR8 AGAIN
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I generally don't think you should make a thread unless you have some argument or question or something else a little specific that you wanna bring up.

These posts could just as well be in the spam thread. Without specifics to discuss, people don't stay on topic. When threads don't stay on topic, much of MB turns into this more or less homogenous soup of general, slightly bitter banter punctuated by light jabs from Batlord. There's a place for that, but on-topic discussions are cool too.
there's plenty to discuss about Judaism

I posted a very interesting and informative video to start it off

Not my fault if nobody else is staying on topic
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
"Now, repeat after me homies - YO! BIATCH!"
https://johnwilkesboothblog.wordpress.com/
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:34 AM   #22 (permalink)
...here to hear...
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
there's plenty to discuss about Judaism

I posted a very interesting and informative video to start it off

Not my fault if nobody else is staying on topic
Obviously Judaism is a huge subject, but I didn't do very well with your choice of video, jwb. I watched about 3 mins of some intrusive journalist deliberately baiting a young, mild-mannered Jewish guy with obscure, hard-to-defend Talmud quotes, by which time I was too offended to continue. Perhaps the video would be better employed in a Media Studies course: How Not To Conduct An Interview.

AFAIK, the Jewish community in England is extensive but dispersed. They are assimilated rather than orthodox. That's why this excellent novel, which takes a peak into Hassidic Jews in New York, was such an eye-opener to me. Easy to read and highly recommended, it's like the Catcher In The Rye guy got off at the wrong subway stop and found himself in a completely different New York.



Has anybody here read The Chosen by Chaim Potok? I'm also curious to know: is it a well-known book in the US?
__________________
"Am I enjoying this moment? I know of it and perhaps that is enough." - Sybille Bedford, 1953
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
Guybrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 6,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I posted a very interesting and informative video to start it off
Ah, right. I didn't watch it.. my bad.

Jews are less than a thousandth of the norwegian population, so I think most of what we know about jews comes from american television.

With that in mind, I really like Curb Your Enthusiasm.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:47 AM   #24 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 45,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Ah, right. I didn't watch it.. my bad.

Jews are less than a thousandth of the norwegian population, so I think most of what we know about jews comes from american television.

With that in mind, I really like Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Yeah I wonder why.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:55 AM   #25 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
Guybrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 6,051
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Yeah I wonder why.
You probably don't, but for everyone else, Norway was occupied by nazi Germany during the second world war and the jewish community at that time was obliterated by the nazis and their sympathizers.

To that one can add a history with anti-semitism and anti-semitic laws, as was common in most if not all of Europe.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:58 AM   #26 (permalink)
jwb
MAKE MB GR8 AGAIN
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Obviously Judaism is a huge subject, but I didn't do very well with your choice of video, jwb. I watched about 3 mins of some intrusive journalist deliberately baiting a young, mild-mannered Jewish guy with obscure, hard-to-defend Talmud quotes, by which time I was too offended to continue. Perhaps the video would be better employed in a Media Studies course: How Not To Conduct An Interview.

AFAIK, the Jewish community in England is extensive but dispersed. They are assimilated rather than orthodox. That's why this excellent novel, which takes a peak into Hassidic Jews in New York, was such an eye-opener to me. Easy to read and highly recommended, it's like the Catcher In The Rye guy got off at the wrong subway stop and found himself in a completely different New York.



Has anybody here read The Chosen by Chaim Potok? I'm also curious to know: is it a well-known book in the US?
that's cause you didn't watch it past 3 mins

Trust me it's not the video it's your inclination to jump to conclusions... The video is very informative if you have the patience to actually watch it. As it gets towards the end it only gets better and better.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
"Now, repeat after me homies - YO! BIATCH!"
https://johnwilkesboothblog.wordpress.com/
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #27 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 45,046
Default

Nah that guy comes off like a ****head and I assumed you were just trolling.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #28 (permalink)
jwb
MAKE MB GR8 AGAIN
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,610
Default

I assumed that was what it was when I watched the first few minutes too... Yet I kept watching and discovered that whether he's a dick or not the video is most certainly informative
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
"Now, repeat after me homies - YO! BIATCH!"
https://johnwilkesboothblog.wordpress.com/
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:09 AM   #29 (permalink)
jwb
MAKE MB GR8 AGAIN
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,610
Default

BTW the guy who made the video is obviously also a Jew.. Hence speaking Hebrew.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
"Now, repeat after me homies - YO! BIATCH!"
https://johnwilkesboothblog.wordpress.com/
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 08:12 AM   #30 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
Guybrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 6,051
Default

I also turned it off after a few minutes because it seemed mostly like trolling. To be honest, I do a similar thing to religious people if they approach me in the hopes of getting a convert, but putting a camera in their face at the same time seems a little extra aggressive.

On your recommendation, jwb, I'll check it out a little more.

Side note, but on a couple of occasions I've discussed with american mormons. I asked one of them why she was in Norway. She said she'd been sent here by a prophet. Poor girl.. it's like a light version of human trafficking.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.