Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Editors Pick
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #91 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Well that's certainly a lot of writing you've done there, but I don't feel like it makes a very strong case for there being any kind of wide chasm of quality between the two songs. To me they are very similar: Tight and tinny drum sounds that have become such a cliche in hip hop lately, cheesy synths that lean the wrong way to be the good kind of cheesy, sloppy rapping that sounds weak instead of giving it character the way a well done sloppy style sometimes can. And the lyrics? I really don't see how lines like "Fuck you faggots/I'm with a fat bitch/making shit come like I'm go-go gadget" really differentiate Tyler from any other half-assed rapper out there.
I prefer Tyler, the Creator's egotism to that song Matious posted. I never even said they were better, I acknowledged that was personal opinion. Again, if your beef is egotistical rapping about sexual prowess you can basically attack any rapper. I mean, sure, it's a valid critique but uh, yeah it's not remotely unique. I never said the lyrics made him unique (particularly on that track) or different from most rappers. All I said was I think Tyler did it better.

I wasn't even trying to argue that one is objectively better then the other (or more "quality" in your words) in my post. I was arguing that there were aesthetic and sonic differences, which you've pretty snidely written off (I mean "you've certainly done a lot of writing there?" Really? All I was doing was comparing the two songs and explaining why they're different, liked you asked.) I don't really see the point in arguing with you if you're just going to be as glib and arrogant as possible. The last part of your argument is basically "it's lo-fi, with synthesizers and rapping therefore it's similar" but that's like saying "Oh Led Zeppelin uses guitars, bass and drum and so do the Beatles, it's similar."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #92 (permalink)
Chocolate Homunculus
 
Phantom Limb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Honestly, when I watched that video it took me a minute to figure what he was getting at with it because it literally sounded could've been something from Bastard to me.
Definitely haven't listened to it.
Phantom Limb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #93 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abearmauledme View Post
You can't pull **** like this in an arguement/discussion. It has NOTHING to do with the point I was trying to make. You obviously haven't listened closely to Bastard or Earl, so you are in no position to spew the bull**** comments you have been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abearmauledme View Post
Definitely haven't listened to it.
Excuse me, you're the one engaging in name-calling and false accusations here. How about you knock it off and take things down a notch, eh?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #94 (permalink)
Chocolate Homunculus
 
Phantom Limb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,288
Default

Actually I never called you a name. I said you were spewing bull****.
Phantom Limb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #95 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
I prefer Tyler, the Creator's egotism to that song Matious posted. I never even said they were better, I acknowledged that was personal opinion. Again, if your beef is egotistical rapping about sexual prowess you can basically attack any rapper. I mean, sure, it's a valid critique but uh, yeah it's not remotely unique. I never said the lyrics made him unique (particularly on that track) or different from most rappers. All I said was I think Tyler did it better.
My beef isn't egoistical rapping, it's the overall finished product. I don't feel like any part of it is good at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
I wasn't even trying to argue that one is objectively better then the other (or more "quality" in your words) in my post. I was arguing that there were aesthetic and sonic differences, which you've pretty snidely written off (I mean "you've certainly done a lot of writing there?" Really? All I was doing was comparing the two songs and explaining why they're different, liked you asked.) I don't really see the point in arguing with you if you're just going to be as glib and arrogant as possible.
Ethan, I wrote an entire paragraph discussing a single song, that's hardly glib. And I have to say I don't appreciate the repeated insults in your posts. I would think a former mod would realize that's not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
The last part of your argument is basically "it's lo-fi, with synthesizers and rapping therefore it's similar" but that's like saying "Oh Led Zeppelin uses guitars, bass and drum and so do the Beatles, it's similar."
No, not really. I was actually pointing out pretty specific things about the two songs, that's hardly the vague statement you're making it out to be.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #96 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Yeah you're right. I am acting like an ass right now. I've had way too long of a day to discuss this. I just disagree with you. End debate with hugs?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #97 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abearmauledme View Post
Actually I never called you a name. I said you were spewing bull****.
I actually was referring your use of the word naive, but yeah the "spewing bullshit" remark was also fairly inappropriate too, now that you mention it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #98 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Yeah you're right. I am acting like an ass right now. I've had way too long of a day to discuss this. End debate with hugs?
Hugs. And sorry for derailing the Earl thread with the Tyler conversation.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 PM   #99 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,218
Default

^
cute.

They're rapidly becoming better producers.

Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #100 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

That kazoo thing makes me feel funky man.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.