Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Editors Pick
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #771 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
Mass audience? On subjects like rape, gorelicious murder, and daddy problems, satanic imagery, serial killer name drops...
You called?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #772 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

But it was never specifically marketed for a mainstream market. I take it we're talking mostly about Tyler here, so let's just focus on his case.

The millions of views were earned. Yonkers was a well made video that gained notoriety because of its immediacy and uniqueness in the Youtube sphere. It was pretty left field if you ask me, but the fact that it was so controversial and challenging garnered the attention, not the fact that he marketed it to a big demographic (well, I guess angst comes in a lot of forms).

MTV was a dream for Tyler, and, truth be told, I have no idea how he got there. Maybe the indie demand was so huge they decided to go with it. That's where you see him, is the indie community of MTV (which has kinda turned its back on him). Tyler, though, is a complicated boy; he yearns for mainstream acceptance but shoves it away with his attitude. I mean, that was a large theme in Goblin itself.

I'd say they deal with a lot of the themes in a cartoonish manner, so it could be seen as childish, but while it's tongue in cheek, it's still extremely menacing and hardly agreeable. There's hardly a time where rape and the humorous portrayal of it is accepted, and Tyler and Odd Future's case isn't too special.

Young teens latch onto a lot of things out of rebellion and angst, but they'll turn their back on it. They've latched onto Punk Rock, does that make the genre of any less merit? Some teens turn to Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, (metal in general really) Elliott Smith, or Nirvana. Do we knock them?

Janszoon, you're my subject of hatred now. c; I'm not very familiar with Marilyn Manson though, does he name drop serial killers (besides Charles Manson)? We could being up Sufjan Stevens and Elliott Smith on that charge as well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #773 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,040
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
Janszoon, you're my subject of hatred now. c;
Heh. Hopefully that's a place of honor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
I'm not very familiar with Marilyn Manson though, does he name drop serial killers (besides Charles Manson)? We could being up Sufjan Stevens and Elliott Smith on that charge as well.
Well every member of his band was named after one (combined with a model) so I'd say yes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #774 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,426
Default

He's this generation's Kurt Cobain (who I think he mentions a few times, maybe an idol of his). Mainly average, few great tunes... OVER RATED.

But it is true that we shouldn't only talk about Tyler, there are much worse members in the collective.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #775 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,426
Default

Also, I have had a glass of wine too many. I shall leave you with this...



I dare you to get through this.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #776 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

Cocaine was straight, i heard another song that was really smooth and bumpin, really understated. I'm gonna get the album oneathesedays.

Kurt Cobain gets dropped by plenty of people, Lil Wayne is probably a bigger fan than Tyler (no joke). Besides that, though, Tyler has a much different ethos than Cobain, at least as a songwriter.

I'll grant you your right to not appreciate his music. Personally, i think he's got a lot of cleverness, creativity, and a piss off attitude that allows him to vent those qualities openly and extremely candidly (even when it makes you cringe, Lil B style).

The other members aren't worse, to me, just much different. That's one thing to love about the group to me. But it's all subjective.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #777 (permalink)
True to username
 
Unrelenting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,100
Default

tyler tweeted that something was getting in the way of things getting back to normal, and that he's angry and excited
__________________
My lastfm
Unrelenting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #778 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surell View Post
Cocaine was straight, i heard another song that was really smooth and bumpin, really understated. I'm gonna get the album oneathesedays.
I like it too. Where are all the people that were spewing this "odd future is anti-feminism" nonsense earlier in the thread?
Quote:
Kurt Cobain gets dropped by plenty of people, Lil Wayne is probably a bigger fan than Tyler (no joke). Besides that, though, Tyler has a much different ethos than Cobain, at least as a songwriter.
Yeah man, Cobain admittedly loved writing pop songs.
Quote:
I'll grant you your right to not appreciate his music. Personally, i think he's got a lot of cleverness, creativity, and a piss off attitude that allows him to vent those qualities openly and extremely candidly (even when it makes you cringe, Lil B style).
yup. I don't agree with them being mainstream, they are certainly very popular. I think this is because of tyler ingenuity. The fonts and graphics he chooses to promote his music are really effective. I don't think his flow is nearly as good as most rappers mentioned in the same breath, but his monotone definitively has character.

I think the skateboard culture has embraced them specifically. Surell, haven't you been wondering why lil wayne has been getting on a skateboard so much lately?

It's hard for me to have a stance on Odd Future, I disagree with everyone who praises them highly and those who dislike them strongly.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #779 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Thom Yorke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,839
Default

OF is kind of like a mainstream/underground hybrid. I can't really think of anyone else that's like them. Tyler talked about changing the topics that he raps about, so we could see him getting away from the less-accessible topics like rape and evolving into something that fits in more with the mainstream. A big undertone of Goblin was talking about this transition, or at least it dealt with increased popularity.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #780 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Yeah man, Cobain admittedly loved writing pop songs.
Most beatles kids did i'm sure, him and Elliott Smith and so on and so forth. Although i wouldn't say i see it near as much in Cobain as Smith, but that's because i don't listen to Nirvana as much as the latter.

Quote:
yup. I don't agree with them being mainstream, they are certainly very popular. I think this is because of tyler ingenuity. The fonts and graphics he chooses to promote his music are really effective. I don't think his flow is nearly as good as most rappers mentioned in the same breath, but his monotone definitively has character.
True this. Also, Tyler isn't very consistent. Really, i think a lot of times his flow is somewhat more consistent than his lyrical content.

Quote:
I think the skateboard culture has embraced them specifically. Surell, haven't you been wondering why lil wayne has been getting on a skateboard so much lately?
Wellll, I always thought he was trying to tackle that aspect at least somewhat before Odd Future was blowing up. He at least had the whole Vans/skinny jeans thing down before then.

But yeah, skate kids luuuuvvv OF, and all the punk brats that are associated with them. It's intense, too.

Quote:
It's hard for me to have a stance on Odd Future, I disagree with everyone who praises them highly and those who dislike them strongly.
You're weird, love it or hate it dood.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.