Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Editors Pick
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #71 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Powerstars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 449
Default

In the future, will more points be rewarded for things other than conversations.
__________________
My New Journal
Favorite Album Of The Moment: They Might Be Giants - Glean
Powerstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:51 AM   #72 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

Such as? I don't want to have a whole list of things people can get points for. Apart from anything else, you then have the problem of journal writers aiming for those things instead of just doing what they do and getting the points for it. I don't want to steer, direct or control or influence the way anyone writes, so I think comments and conversations go together, but other than that I'm not entirely sure what you're driving at.

Hit me with some examples of what you mean and I'll see. I don't want this to spiral out of control either; it's enough work watching the journals constantly and noting down points without adding extra tasks to it...
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 AM   #73 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Nice colourful graph, I have no idea what it's about though.

If you're going on number of journal views you might want to take into account that a mod has to approve each post apart from on mod journals. So that automatically gives non mod journals a unfair higher view count.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #74 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Nice colourful graph, I have no idea what it's about though.
I think it's only for Trollheart to understand and an activity for him to do in his downtime when he's not writing in his four other journals and album review threads.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #75 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Powerstars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Such as? I don't want to have a whole list of things people can get points for. Apart from anything else, you then have the problem of journal writers aiming for those things instead of just doing what they do and getting the points for it. I don't want to steer, direct or control or influence the way anyone writes, so I think comments and conversations go together, but other than that I'm not entirely sure what you're driving at.

Hit me with some examples of what you mean and I'll see. I don't want this to spiral out of control either; it's enough work watching the journals constantly and noting down points without adding extra tasks to it...
Maybe for most traffic or most (quality) posts a week?
__________________
My New Journal
Favorite Album Of The Moment: They Might Be Giants - Glean
Powerstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #76 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

Jeez! Didn't you guys read my carefully-constucted rating system? You get points for views, but also for posts, the type of posts you write, how many you write, how often you update, who comments, how they comment and stuff like that.

Good point on the views Urban, but even so I'm only doing scores for like up to 500, 500 - 2000, 2000 - 4000 and so on, so individual views don't matter that much. In fact, views make up a tiny proportion of the scores. The main thing is posts and comments, which I think are two of the most important aspects of any journal.

Oh and no, it's not just for my amusement --- it's a lot of work! --- it's to give people an incentive to make their journals better, up their game and climb the league table. I'd be interested in the level of, um, interest in it, because as I say it is a lot of work and if nobody's bothered or thinks it's a good idea I'd be just as happy not doing it. But I thought/think it might make writing journals a little more fun, as well as introducing a competitive element into it.

What do yiz think? Wasting my time or good idea?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #77 (permalink)
Left due to ban epidemic
 
CrazyVegn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 494
Default

Of course mine has little or no views which is why I don't bother updating it LOL
CrazyVegn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #78 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Powerstars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Jeez! Didn't you guys read my carefully-constucted rating system? You get points for views, but also for posts, the type of posts you write, how many you write, how often you update, who comments, how they comment and stuff like that.

Good point on the views Urban, but even so I'm only doing scores for like up to 500, 500 - 2000, 2000 - 4000 and so on, so individual views don't matter that much. In fact, views make up a tiny proportion of the scores. The main thing is posts and comments, which I think are two of the most important aspects of any journal.

Oh and no, it's not just for my amusement --- it's a lot of work! --- it's to give people an incentive to make their journals better, up their game and climb the league table. I'd be interested in the level of, um, interest in it, because as I say it is a lot of work and if nobody's bothered or thinks it's a good idea I'd be just as happy not doing it. But I thought/think it might make writing journals a little more fun, as well as introducing a competitive element into it.

What do yiz think? Wasting my time or good idea?
Good idea.
__________________
My New Journal
Favorite Album Of The Moment: They Might Be Giants - Glean
Powerstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #79 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyVegn View Post
Of course mine has little or no views which is why I don't bother updating it LOL
Well the point is everyone starts off with no views, but you only gain those by giving people something to read. At present your journal consists of a list, Veg, which to be fair no-one's terribly interested in. No offence. But when you start adding proper entries to it, talking about the music you like, people will begin to read and your viewcount will grow.

But bear in mind that each day you don't update your journal slips further down the page, and eventually off it onto page 2. People may click on it out of interest while it's on page 1, but rarely if ever once it's left the front page. That's why it's important to always keep your journal --- if you're serious about it --- on the front page. When I see any of mine in danger of slipping towards the end of the page I make a point to throw in an update to get them back up again, front and centre. You have to hold people's attention, show them there's something new here. Even if they don't like it they may click to see what it is, and then you have another view. Not only that, but as long as people keep viewing your journal will remain in a relatively prominent place.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:30 PM   #80 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
And so to this week's Showcase. I've had to go right back to page 3 for this, which is sad, but hopefully it may convince him to start updating again.


This journal was started by our favourite locomotive back in February and was shaping up to be one amazing story, however it seems to have (sorry!) run out of steam at the moment. Hopefully not for long because I for one want to know what happened to Erik.
Here's the very first post/chapter of "An equivocal flail aka The American Dream"...
Interesting. I hadn't seen this until just now. Thanks for your interest. I suppose I took a hiatus because Erik's backstory was kind of bogging me down. If you hadn't guessed, the story is semi-autobiographical and is a bit emotionally draining to write. But it's fun and cathartic and I'd like to get back to it soon.
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.