Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Electronica
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #361 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Latest album was a disgrace. I don't care about the subtle complexities of rehashing the worst parts of the 70s. Might as well make a new album with subtle complexities of rehashing the very worst parts of the 80s. And I'm pretty sure that if Daft Punk did it, everyone would love it because Daft Punk did it.

F*ck all that.
Not to forget the boringly (un)-sentimental lyrics (yes yes, most are in it for the music but "this is a game of love", or "there are things I don't understand"? seriously?). Oh, and I found at least one half of "Giorgio by Moroder" incredibly dull, which most have taken a liking to. Also, there are a bunch of interviews of the collaborators on youtube, which I'd advice to stay away from as I found them absurdly unrevealing.

Verdict: Marginally listenable.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #362 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Latest album was a disgrace. I don't care about the subtle complexities of rehashing the worst parts of the 70s. Might as well make a new album with subtle complexities of rehashing the very worst parts of the 80s. And I'm pretty sure that if Daft Punk did it, everyone would love it because Daft Punk did it.

F*ck all that.
So I'm guessing you don't like how they opted for more of an organic instrumental sound?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today

Last edited by Justthefacts; 06-04-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #363 (permalink)
The Big Dog
 
14232949's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 1,948
Default

It's like every Daft Punk album, a few fun/catchy tracks but the rest is just underwhelming and instantly forgettable. Despite being touted as pioneers in electronica, they've never stretched the boundaries of the genre or done anything unique with it. As I said a few pages back: a novelty act. And it amazes me how many people are still clinging to this novelty. Talking about this album as if it's in some way important. If anything it's a step back. With all the great music on offer this year, is there really a need for an 80's disco revival/nostalgia trip. Especially when most of their listeners are too young to remember that musical period.
14232949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #364 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,299
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Latest album was a disgrace. I don't care about the subtle complexities of rehashing the worst parts of the 70s. Might as well make a new album with subtle complexities of rehashing the very worst parts of the 80s. And I'm pretty sure that if Daft Punk did it, everyone would love it because Daft Punk did it.

F*ck all that.
I agree. It's a bad 80's album. College and Desire are doing that sound with far more panache and subtlety and still oddly sound modern. Kavinsky too even though I am not a huge fan of the latest release.

Just because it's Daft Punk doesn't mean it's the be all and end all.




The Kavinsky and College albums have both been released this year with the Desire album from 2009 and are all much more satisfying. Hopefully a few of you may check them out although the College album is a re release.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”

Last edited by jackhammer; 06-04-2013 at 08:27 PM.
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #365 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I agree. It's a bad 80's album. College and Desire are doing that sound with far more panache and subtlety and still oddly sound modern. Kavinsky too even though I am not a huge fan of the latest release.

Just because it's Daft Punk doesn't mean it's the be all and end all.




The Kavinsky and College albums have both been released this year with the Desire album from 2009 and are all much more satisfying. Hopefully a few of you may check them out although the College album is a re release.
I tried giving the Kavinsky record a listen and yet still the only song I enjoyed was the song that was in the film Drive.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #366 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 14
Default

Just wondering why they waited so long!!!
frozen smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #367 (permalink)
Blunt After Blunt After
 
Circe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: In a French-ass restaurant
Posts: 337
Default

After listening to the album three times I've actually done the opposite of what I thought I would and started to dislike it quite a bit. It now just strikes me as a novelty content to avoid any real substance and instead ride on its own hype train. I'm not sure what convinced me it was worth four stars in the first place, probably just my hopes that they'd bring out something great after all these years. It's at least worth the space it takes up on my hard drive but I highly doubt I'll be listening to it in 30 years when remembering the albums of my youth.

Get Lucky's still pretty good though. And that other Pharrel track's pretty decent. And Doin' It Right I guess, although that one doesn't count because it's just a hollow attempt at an Animal Collective track.
Circe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #368 (permalink)
Groupie
 
We're_All_Doomed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hell
Posts: 9
Default

I LOVE DAFT PUNK. Have you listened to their new album? It is AMAZING! But as always... Discovery will be my favorite. Favorite song is Crescendolls.
We're_All_Doomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #369 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
edwardc77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circe View Post
After listening to the album three times I've actually done the opposite of what I thought I would and started to dislike it quite a bit. It now just strikes me as a novelty content to avoid any real substance and instead ride on its own hype train. I'm not sure what convinced me it was worth four stars in the first place, prob hasably just my hopes that they'd bring out something great after all these years. It's at least worth the space it takes up on my hard drive but
I highly doubt I'll be listening to it in 30 years when remembering the albums of my youth.

Get Lucky's still pretty good though. And that other Pharrel track's pretty decent. And Doin' It Right I guess, although that one doesn't count because it's just a hollow attempt at an Animal Collective track.
I feel completely the same. It's almost as if you're forced to like it because of all the rave reviews and media attention that this album is getting.. Sooner or later people will realize that 'The emperor has no clothes".
Anyhow I must admit that (only) from a purely sonic point of view,RAM sounds very impressive.
This is because most people believe that things like: talented musicians,expensive equipment and state of the art recording studios have become completely redundant. According to these guys with a 300 dollar laptop bought at your local Walmart you can obtain similar if not better results.....Daft Punk showed them the abyssal difference.
__________________
Thought he lost everything then he lost a whole lot more....
edwardc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #370 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Zebras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Good ol' Minnesota
Posts: 101
Default

I think one of the interesting aspects of this album is how predisposed everyone was to have responses about the sonic integrity of analog equipment and session musicians. While I agree that this is undoubtedly one of the most positive aspects of this album, it's weird how so many electronic music listeners - new and old - are behind this idea because of how pretentious the hype was behind this album. Seems like the marketing team did well with that video series.
Zebras is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.