Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: my home is in my head
Posts: 253
Default

no its primus .
THE GOLDEN STRING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Whitewater!
 
Merkaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,885
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
I'm stupid. I left out Tim Commerford
Hehe yeah boo boo what were you thinking
__________________
She thinks I'm a reclusive genius, she's going to be very disappointed when she finds out i'm a reclusive wanker
Merkaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
I love Puck
 
Laces Out Dan!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 4,614
Default

Geddly Lee......Or im not sure of the name....But the Bassist from YES
Laces Out Dan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Chrome Plated Megaphone
 
boris jawaka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 163
Default

for me,

jazz electric: jaco - no contest, the greatest
jazz acoustic: not for technical brilliance but for production of great music - charles mingus
rock: i love entwistle for the fact that he is in the who but really he's over-rated - all of his solos are just blues scale solos but he is my favourite. if i had to say the best technically (although in my opinion jaco would beat most rock bass players technically) would be "Erroneous"(real name unkown to me) who plays bass on many of Zappas mid 70's albums and can do some pretty amazing technical bass lines
__________________
"Artists are artists, because they have an extra sensitivity - a skin less perhaps than other people; and the great ones have an uncomfortable habit of being right about many things, long before their time"

- Benjamin Britten, 1951
boris jawaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LesPaul43_
Geddly Lee......Or im not sure of the name....But the Bassist from YES
Chris Squire is the bassist for Yes.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba
Hehe yeah boo boo what were you thinking
Commerford is good, but i wouldnt say hes one of the top players, he is very damn good though.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
perfect hugging size
 
crimepartner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: in the hearts of millions
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Is Pwnage
isnt that band called primeth?
Iam pretty sure its PRIMUS... I remember seeing his face and him talking about it. they thought he was too weird.. yeah thats right!
__________________
put that on your biscuits!

Squeeze me ma-ac-a-ro-ni... slap your face with my balo-ni....
crimepartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Arrow Bump ! James Jamerson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
James Jamerson played bass on around 30 No.1 hits and performed on almost 60 R&B chart toppers.

By far the best.
Found this old thread surfing through the forums so..

A few of my favorite bassist range anywhere from Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, to Victor Wooten. But one bassist that stands alone is James Jamerson. Over 30 number one hits with Motown. Songs like Whats Going On by Marvin Gaye and I Was Made To Love Her by Stevie Wonder (You can also hear the influence that Stevie Wonder had on Michael Jackson with I Was Made To Love Her, except Wonder's voice has twice the strength and quality).

James Jamersons style evolved from a traditional root-fifth cocktail style into a new style built upon a flurry of sixteenth-note runs and syncopation's.



When Berry Gordy moved Motown from Detroit to Los Angeles, he left James Jamerson and Motown's "The Funk Brothers" behind. Not at all a good ending to Jamersons (underrated) career.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #19 (permalink)
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 3,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
Found this old thread surfing through the forums so..

A few of my favorite bassist range anywhere from Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, to Victor Wooten. But one bassist that stands alone is James Jamerson. Over 30 number one hits with Motown. Songs like Whats Going On by Marvin Gaye and I Was Made To Love Her by Stevie Wonder (You can also hear the influence that Stevie Wonder had on Michael Jackson with I Was Made To Love Her, except Wonder's voice has twice the strength and quality).

James Jamersons style evolved from a traditional root-fifth cocktail style into a new style built upon a flurry of sixteenth-note runs and syncopation's.



When Berry Gordy moved Motown from Detroit to Los Angeles, he left James Jamerson and Motown's "The Funk Brothers" behind. Not at all a good ending to Jamersons (underrated) career.
James is the man for sure. I used to get Bass Player magazine and he was one of the tutorials on there. Great walking bass lines. I'd put Stanley Clarke and Marcus Miller pretty high on the list.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post
James is the man for sure. I used to get Bass Player magazine and he was one of the tutorials on there. Great walking bass lines. I'd put Stanley Clarke and Marcus Miller pretty high on the list.
One of the unique qualities of these particular bassist, especially during the late 60s and early 70s, they were all seemingly highly influenced by jazz, blues & gospel.

I just love playing this particular rocking, skipping, style of bass funk. Maybe Jazz/Funk?
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.