Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2018, 08:42 PM   #8241 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Holy moly, thanks! May the keeping of count never end!

Incidentally, what is last.fm for now aside from keeping track of what you're listening to? Are there any other features people are using it for?

I use it now only to keep track, I have a plugin for winamp, so only for my computer listening. I used to be able to track my phone scrobbles but then at some point you had to install the app to do that which made it cumbersome.
Well, that makes sense that your phone has to have something to talk to Last.Fm in order for it to “know” what you’re listening to.

I got social with some folks there starting about 15 years ago, but after CBS bought it a few years later, it started to go downhill with extra rules and unnecessary BS. So, I started doing some subversive type stuff that I won’t go into, but let’s say that I was able to call their bluff on some things. I hated that you weren’t allowed to have more than a million “scrobbles” - that it would just seize up, so after the first million, I opened another account and did a million more. I stopped after then and didn’t come back for 2 years - then they changed the million maximum rule and I decided to use it to keep track of things I was listening to - mainly for the folks who were listening to my “Random Radio” feed. Don’t use it for much more than that these days.
__________________
Lust.PM
Mixclown
GooDweebs
rostasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #8242 (permalink)
Me llamo Marijan
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 6,983
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
Well, that makes sense that your phone has to have something to talk to Last.Fm in order for it to “know” what you’re listening to.
At some point, you were able to download the scrobbles when you hooked up your iphone to the computer but now that doesn't work anymore, dunno why.

Quote:
I got social with some folks there starting about 15 years ago, but after CBS bought it a few years later, it started to go downhill with extra rules and unnecessary BS. So, I started doing some subversive type stuff that I won’t go into, but let’s say that I was able to call their bluff on some things. I hated that you weren’t allowed to have more than a million “scrobbles” - that it would just seize up, so after the first million, I opened another account and did a million more. I stopped after then and didn’t come back for 2 years - then they changed the million maximum rule and I decided to use it to keep track of things I was listening to - mainly for the folks who were listening to my “Random Radio” feed. Don’t use it for much more than that these days.
Yeah, it used to be about much more than keeping statistics, like discovering music, keeping tabs on events/concerts, getting social, hooking up with people with similar tastes etc. I'm a little surprised it's still going, I think only long term freaks are using it nowadays.

It's a shame, it had a lot of potential. Could've been Spotify actually, but they didn't manage it for some reason.
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:45 PM   #8243 (permalink)
stay the fukc inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 32,698
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidasss View Post
Holy moly, thanks! May the keeping of count never end!

Incidentally, what is last.fm for now aside from keeping track of what you're listening to? Are there any other features people are using it for?

I use it now only to keep track, I have a plugin for winamp, so only for my computer listening. I used to be able to track my phone scrobbles but then at some point you had to install the app to do that which made it cumbersome.
Perusing through the related artist sections can lead you to some cool stuff, plus I occasionally find something solid in the recommended section. The Your Mix is a radio that has stuff in your library and stuff that last.fm recommends that I've found to be pretty solid. That's about the extent to which I use it.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #8244 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,500
Default

Yeah, the three options of mixes are nice: 1) just your library; 2) your library
plus recommendations and 3) just recommendations. The events/concerts thing
I sometimes use as well. The downward spiral was after CBS tho. They kept
taking away stuff that people had gotten used to and still wanted and began
forcing subscriptions for variations of those very things. The personal touch
was going away and big corporatism was looming ever larger.
__________________
Lust.PM
Mixclown
GooDweebs
rostasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:38 PM   #8245 (permalink)
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene
 
Mondo Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,582
Default

last 30 days

__________________
https://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Hmm, what's this in my pocket?

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #8246 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,500
Default

last week:

__________________
Lust.PM
Mixclown
GooDweebs
rostasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #8247 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,500
Default


__________________
Lust.PM
Mixclown
GooDweebs
rostasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #8248 (permalink)
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene
 
Mondo Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,582
Default

last 365 days

__________________
https://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Hmm, what's this in my pocket?

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:25 PM   #8249 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,500
Default


__________________
Lust.PM
Mixclown
GooDweebs
rostasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:26 AM   #8250 (permalink)
Mord
 
Zhanteimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 4,856
Default

I've got Nurse With Wound and Controlled Bleeding in the queue for my 好きじゃないと言えない journal. I've never heard them before.
__________________
Zhanteimi

LetsTalkMusic
Zhanteimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.