Tom Waits (singer, favorite songs, Leonard Cohen, quote, songs) - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 01:04 PM   #101 (permalink)
Pepper Emergency!
 
Strummer521's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 493
Default

I'm into Small Change. Listen to that album, and then something like Bone Machine and it becomes clear just how intense the departure that started with SwordFishTrombones really is. But I like like the class and the noirish qualities of his early work. The grit is there in a more direct way because it's not sharing space with the Junkyard and the Carnival.

Like Bob Dylan, Waits first few albums don't get the attention they should.
__________________
"Caffeine is so ridiculous right now."
RZA
Strummer521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #102 (permalink)
In a very sad sad zoo
 
Moon Pix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: "Out on tour with Smashing Pumpkins, nature kids, they don't have no function"
Posts: 363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521 View Post
I'm into Small Change. Listen to that album, and then something like Bone Machine and it becomes clear just how intense the departure that started with SwordFishTrombones really is. But I like like the class and the noirish qualities of his early work. The grit is there in a more direct way because it's not sharing space with the Junkyard and the Carnival.

Like Bob Dylan, Waits first few albums don't get the attention they should.
My first exposure to Waits was an Old Grey Whistle Test compilation late one night on BBC2 where they showed him performing "Small Change."
__________________
There’s a dream that I see, I pray it can be
Look 'cross the land, shake this land - "Maybe Not", C. Marshall
Moon Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:40 AM   #103 (permalink)
Don't think twice
 
either/or's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: A basement on the hill
Posts: 352
Default

waits wrote the theme to the tv show the wire. great show, great musician. bone drums? hell eyah
__________________
Painstaking devotion and love
Surrendered to self preservation
From others who care for themselves
A blindness that touches perfection
But hurts just like anything else

Isolation, isolation, isolation
either/or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:35 AM   #104 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,967
Default

Blue Valentine<33

Rain Dogs is such a sick album.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:29 AM   #105 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 11,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Pix View Post
The problem with words like quintessential or seminal is that music critics tend to follow one another so just about every review you read will talk about how Rain Dogs is his best album and no other opinion gets voiced.

Additionally one of the things I like most about Bone Machine is the fact that it is inaccessible to a certain degree.
Well yes, Rain Dogs is widely regarded as good, but Rolling Stone said that "The Heart of Saturday Night" was better, so while it may be streamlined (along taste) I don't think its in lockstep. Conversely, Bone Machine is usually championed by Inide Bands simply because its inaccessible. Then again, im glad people don't like stripes because of his voice, the colors and the costumes.

But to touch on what strummer said, I understand liking the grit, but is there a problem with the carnival and the junkyard? I mean, everyone has grit, rarely are the other two facotred in.

Speaking of the Junkyard, Mule Variations is probably better than Rain Dogs.
Speaking of the Carnival, Innocent when you dream sucks...

And as Crowquill mentioned, Blue Valentine is my Favorite album.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:36 PM   #106 (permalink)
Bitchfarmer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Between the minarettes, down the Casbah way.
Posts: 983
Default

^ I think Rain Dogs is better than Mule Variations.
Anyway, my question:
Does anybody know if there is a longer version of the short song on the end of Mule Variations, "Big Face Money"? I love it, but it only goes for 39seconds.

Was the version on the "Hold On" single short too? I can't find the track time on the net.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yup.

Because I chose to play the fool in a six-piece band,
First-night nerves every one-night stand.
I should be glad to be so inclined.
What a waste! What a waste!
But I don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
Nirvana pisses over David Bowie and Nirvana isn't even that good.

Last edited by Frances; 02-17-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #107 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 11,173
Default

I can look it up on iTunes, why do you want to know?

Hold on - 5:33
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #108 (permalink)
Bitchfarmer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Between the minarettes, down the Casbah way.
Posts: 983
Default

Sorry, I meant the version of Big Face Money from the hold on single. but if you say I'll find the track time on iTunes, I'm there!
Thanks.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yup.

Because I chose to play the fool in a six-piece band,
First-night nerves every one-night stand.
I should be glad to be so inclined.
What a waste! What a waste!
But I don't mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
Nirvana pisses over David Bowie and Nirvana isn't even that good.
Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #109 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 11,173
Default

well iTunes is free and when you upload it just gives you the running time.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #110 (permalink)
Imperfectly Perfect
 
Kevorkian Logic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,290
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Pix View Post
Its a totally uncohesive album in terms of production and arrangements. Stylistically its very fractured and all over the place and I like that about it. Most of his other records hold together more.
Bone Machine was the first record that I ever listened too. I honestly dont think there is a more perfect record to listen too as your first record, its so unique.
__________________
"it is only through a limitless accumulation of the imperfect that a certain type of perfection can be attained"
Kevorkian Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2023 Advameg, Inc.