Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007, 03:09 PM   #81 (permalink)
In a very sad sad zoo
 
Moon Pix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: "Out on tour with Smashing Pumpkins, nature kids, they don't have no function"
Posts: 363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Although I do think thats true in some ways I don't think always the case.
I don't see good or bad musicianship as the be all & end all of everything.I enjoy a bit of difficulty. I'm more likely to listen to a song more if I can't decide if I like it or not because every listen of it is a challenge.
Me too but I think sometimes they just use it as something to defend bad songwriting. Id say that Sonic Youth's first album is incredibly difficult because of the compositional style and the recording quality but to me it has a character no other album Ive ever heard has. Same thing with some of Smog's albums. The sort of stuff Im talking about is like Jandek or the Shaggs. That stuff has no redeeming features but the Pitchfork types will always defend stuff like that under the pretense that the total lack of talent makes it 'purer in its naievety' than somthing by somebody who actually knows three chords.
__________________
There’s a dream that I see, I pray it can be
Look 'cross the land, shake this land - "Maybe Not", C. Marshall
Moon Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:57 PM   #82 (permalink)
Dinosaurus Rex!!!
 
A_Perfect_Sonnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser View Post
The old Avenged Sevenfold would've never of though to do that.....And the City Of Evil compared to Sounding The Seventh Trumpet way different....Where were the screams in City Of Evil?
Dude, you are an idiot. A few things:

1) A7X has always sucked. They are hair metal wannabe 80s rockers. Shredding a guitar does not make your band good.

2) Don't claim to know more than people when you don't know anything about the bands you claim are "so lyke omGah g00d!" The lead singer had surgery on his vocals chords, but in general the band wanted to leave the metalcore genre because they think it's "dying".

3) If you read around rather than circle jerk with your friends over these acts, you could actually have something to say other than defending your dumb opinions on nonsensical likes and dislikes. We pick on you because you are on a music forum yet take no time out of your day to actually learn about music.
A_Perfect_Sonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:57 AM   #83 (permalink)
Is The Spider
 
acratertocoffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 586
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Perfect_Sonnet View Post
Dude, you are an idiot. A few things:

1) A7X has always sucked. They are hair metal wannabe 80s rockers. Shredding a guitar does not make your band good.

2) Don't claim to know more than people when you don't know anything about the bands you claim are "so lyke omGah g00d!" The lead singer had surgery on his vocals chords, but in general the band wanted to leave the metalcore genre because they think it's "dying".

3) If you read around rather than circle jerk with your friends over these acts, you could actually have something to say other than defending your dumb opinions on nonsensical likes and dislikes. We pick on you because you are on a music forum yet take no time out of your day to actually learn about music.
Owned.

A7X were the first metalcore I listened to, so I was partial to them until I listened to, you know, good music. I still like "Second Heartbeat" though. But yes, they suck both ass and balls now trying to be Iron Maiden which is hard to do when your singer sounds like he's getting fisted up the butt by a 400 pound biker that hasn't cut his nails in a few weeks.

In retrospect, why the hell did I like them?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by can_i_say View Post
Ian Mackaye did more for me than Jesus ever did.


Night of the Living Fred
Tuesdays at 11PM US EST
www.fredoniaradio.com
BAND INTERVIEWS
acratertocoffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #84 (permalink)
The Professor
 
Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Perfect_Sonnet View Post
Dude, you are an idiot. A few things:

1) A7X has always sucked. They are hair metal wannabe 80s rockers. Shredding a guitar does not make your band good.

2) Don't claim to know more than people when you don't know anything about the bands you claim are "so lyke omGah g00d!" The lead singer had surgery on his vocals chords, but in general the band wanted to leave the metalcore genre because they think it's "dying".

3) If you read around rather than circle jerk with your friends over these acts, you could actually have something to say other than defending your dumb opinions on nonsensical likes and dislikes. We pick on you because you are on a music forum yet take no time out of your day to actually learn about music.
I never said they were good at all I just said that compareing Sound The Seventh Trumpet and City Of Evil sounded different....I've never been a fan of AV7X just saying how they sold out by playing along side Green Day and Good Charlotte.
Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:30 PM   #85 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
For example people always go on about how much of a great guitarist Dave Gilmour is. Now that may well be true but when he plays stuff from the Syd Barrett era to me it just sounds all wrong. Syd Barrett might not have been a great guitarist but when he played those songs he gave them character , to me when Gilmour plays them he just sounds like some session musician trying his best to get the right sound but totally missing the point.
And thats the kinda crap Pitchfork writes on a regular basis, "Gilmour sucks, Syd rules", how many times have you gone through with rants like that and I don't even bother to respond with more than a simple I disagree just not to start an argument? It's f*cking annoying.

You're saying it as if people only like Gilmour more because he's more skilled, hell David Gilmour isn't even very skilled to begin with, his solos are strictly pentatonic 99.9% of the time, and he rarely riff's, he's even admitted himself that he's not much of a riffer. Gilmour is just a great guitarist, it has nothing to do with skill as far as I'm conerned. And because you prefer one Floyd album and two solo albums over someones 40 plus career of superior musicianship that you likely haven't even heard half of just strikes me as bizzare, though not in the least bit surprising.

Syd however is a very influencial guitarist, and I don't hesitate to call him a great guitarist, or at least an important one. Effects like his were rarely used back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Yeah Claptons work has always left me cold too apart from a couple of Cream albums.
To me his music always seemed slick , over produced & soulless.

Which to me is the total opposite of what blues should be about.
If you were refering to someone like George Thorogood rather than Clapton, then I would have agreed with you.

Last edited by boo boo; 03-27-2007 at 01:38 PM.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #86 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Woah woah woah

Where did I say Gilmour sucks?
And for the record I reviewed Barrets solo albums on this site & I said they were patchy at best and that the presence of Gilmour made his 2nd album much more listenable.

I think you're reading far too much into that. I happen to like a lot of Pink Floyd stuff , not just the Barrett era. It's only The Wall & Atom Heart Mother I don't like. All I was saying is that Gilmour playing the Barrett era stuff sounds wrong to me and that just because Gilmour is a better guitarist it's not the be all & end all of everything. That's not a rant , thats just an opinion. Right-Track managed to see the point I was getting at so why can't you?
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #87 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Oh ok then, sorry. Your point? Well I don't agree with Gilmour sounding like a session musician who dosen't know what he's doing, not at all. But I can understand why you like Barrett more, his style is pretty all over the place and wild, Gilmour is the exact opposite, contained and disciplined. I always appreciated the stark contrast in the twos playing, I think it makes Floyds catelog of music all the more diverse. Whatever style suits you better though, thats cool, sorry I misunderstood you. I usually get very PMS when I think someone is dissing either one of them. Thats how devoted I get when it comes to my irrational Pink Floyd fanboism.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #88 (permalink)
Groupie
 
KT Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7
Default

"Selling out" is largely an irrational fan-made philosophy, and a worthless one at that. There are times when it applies, but for the most part it's a lot of crying over nothing.
KT Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #89 (permalink)
ashes against the grain
 
tdoc210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: new hampsha
Posts: 2,617
Default

i need moeny for prom
so i sold a movie
i sold out
__________________
We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that.
tdoc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #90 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT Samurai View Post
"Selling out" is largely an irrational fan-made philosophy, and a worthless one at that. There are times when it applies, but for the most part it's a lot of crying over nothing.
THANK YOU!!!
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.