Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Pick an album!
De La Soul "3 Feet High and Rising" 2 8.33%
Linkin Park "Hybrid Theory" 1 4.17%
Pavement "Slanted And Enchanted" 12 50.00%
Presidents of the USA "Presidents of the USA" 3 12.50%
MC5 "Kick Out the Jams" 6 25.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2007, 01:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Tough choice between MC5 & De La Soul but I went with MC5 because i've liked it for longer.

Slanted & Enchanted has to be one of the most overrated debuts in history.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 05-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Imperfectly Perfect
 
Kevorkian Logic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Tough choice between MC5 & De La Soul but I went with MC5 because i've liked it for longer.

Slanted & Enchanted has to be one of the most overrated debuts in history.
MC5 is obnoxiously loud music that represents the "rebel" fervor (sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll) without true musicianship or any songwriting talent.

Pavements catchy lyrics quickly destroy any half-hearted attempt at lyrics that MC5 ever attempted, and it might be a little overrated, but at least its semi-intelligent sounding, instead of just loud noise.
__________________
"it is only through a limitless accumulation of the imperfect that a certain type of perfection can be attained"
Kevorkian Logic is offline  
Old 05-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #23 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevorkian Logic View Post
MC5 is obnoxiously loud music that represents the "rebel" fervor (sex, drugs, and rock 'n roll) without true musicianship or any songwriting talent.
You seem to be mistaking them for The Stooges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevorkian Logic View Post
Pavements catchy lyrics quickly destroy any half-hearted attempt at lyrics that MC5 ever attempted, and it might be a little overrated, but at least its semi-intelligent sounding, instead of just loud noise.
Just as well you refer to the lyrics as opposed to the music which was at it's worst sub Fall sub Swell Maps sub Pop Group bollocks.

And thats coming from someone who doesn't actually mind Pavement.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 05-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
Me and The Major
 
The Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,830
Default

Had to go with Kick Out The Jams .
The Dave is offline  
Old 05-28-2007, 03:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Imperfectly Perfect
 
Kevorkian Logic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
You seem to be mistaking them for The Stooges
Dude, Fun House is just mindblowing, far superior to anything MC5 ever doled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Just as well you refer to the lyrics as opposed to the music which was at it's worst sub Fall sub Swell Maps sub Pop Group bollocks.

And thats coming from someone who doesn't actually mind Pavement.
Their music isn't bad, especially in Slanted and Enchanted, it has a rawness and less lo-fi quality that the other albums seem to lack. Maybe its just grown on me a lot, I dunno, I wish I could vocalize the beauty of the album much more eloquently. I can see why people shy away from it at a first listen, poor production quality, lyrics aren't straight forth, unimpressive vocals in addition to all the hype that it has raising your expectations; but its just one of those albums that gets ingrained in you after a few listens. There's no fake punkness or self-indulgence, it's them playing a non-Nirvana music in a Nirvana dominated time.

I apologize for rambling to such an extent, I got caught up in what I wanted to say.
__________________
"it is only through a limitless accumulation of the imperfect that a certain type of perfection can be attained"
Kevorkian Logic is offline  
Old 05-29-2007, 05:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
You seem to be mistaking them for The Stooges



Just as well you refer to the lyrics as opposed to the music which was at it's worst sub Fall sub Swell Maps sub Pop Group bollocks.

And thats coming from someone who doesn't actually mind Pavement.
Pavement >>>>>>>>>> The Fall.
boo boo is offline  
Old 05-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
It's like listening to Pavement, it's just The Fall in 1985, isn't it? They haven't got an original idea in their heads.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 05-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #28 (permalink)
From beyond the grave
 
coffeeshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Merseyside, UK
Posts: 480
Default

I disagree, Slanted & Enchanted is a really amazing album. It has too much going for it to be labelled a Fall wannabe album although I agree there is a strong influence on certain tracks like Two States. It is a very influential album, Blur were massive fans and used the sound on their self-titled album.

In the Mouth a Desert is one track I would listen to on repeat for the rest of my life.

Mark E Smith says a lot some is very correct, some isn't so much.
__________________
"In this Catholic Club they never had the ****ing TV on and I was going, 'That Big Brother, it won't catch on. British people won't watch that ****.' And then they went, at nine o' clock, 'Shh!' and turned the telly on! It was, like, people asleep in bed. To me, I can't understand that. The encouraging thing is, 'You were right all along, Smith: people are stupid." - Mark E Smith
coffeeshop is offline  
Old 05-29-2007, 12:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
awamba
 
chumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 133
Default

KICK OUT THE JAMS MOTHAFUCKAS!

Seriously though, that album is the embodiment of rock n' roll. But I like Slanted & Enchanted a bit better.
chumb is offline  
Old 06-02-2007, 12:26 AM   #30 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

MC5 and Pavement win
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.