Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Pick a band
Deep Purple 1 2.44%
Doors, The 10 24.39%
Elliott Smith 13 31.71%
King Crimson 13 31.71%
Metallica 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #31 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProggyMan View Post
Yes, those ridiculously illegitimate artists...
I know, right? I have to admire King Crimson because their just ****ing brilliant, there's no denying it. But there's a line you have to draw when it comes to The Doors and Metallica, two artists that are nearly unrivaled in amazing and influential music. All the prog fans vote for them anyhow. Elliott Smith is laughable on this poll. The indie morons on here will all vote for him obviously.
Civic Depreciator is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:05 PM   #32 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Calling 11 posters morons? You're on a roll today. Consider this your second warning.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #33 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack fire drill View Post
Calling 11 posters morons? You're on a roll today. Consider this your second warning.
I get it, you don't like me. No need to remind me of this, capiche?
Civic Depreciator is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #34 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slint View Post
I know, right? I have to admire King Crimson because their just ****ing brilliant, there's no denying it. But there's a line you have to draw when it comes to The Doors and Metallica, two artists that are nearly unrivaled in amazing and influential music. All the prog fans vote for them anyhow. Elliott Smith is laughable on this poll. The indie morons on here will all vote for him obviously.
Ah, this is like a smorgishboard of wrong.

For one, you need to accept that its just peoples opinions, and two its been explained to me that this is about preference.

Also. If this was about greatness, King Crimson would be indeed the most deserving. They are more influencial than both Metallica and The Doors. Popularity dosen't = influence. Metallica were important in the thrash metal scene. But King Crimson pretty much started the whole prog rock revolution. There were several artists who were very vital in influencing the genre including The Mothers of Invention and The Moody Blues. But it was King Crimson that defined prog.

And whats wrong with Elliott Smith? Sure he's nothing innovative, but he was a solid songwriter who made some great Beatles-esque tunes.

Last edited by boo boo; 05-13-2008 at 08:41 PM.
boo boo is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #35 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Ah, this is like a smorgishboard of wrong.
Nice.

Quote:
For one, you need to accept that its just peoples opinions, and two its been explained to me that this is about preference.
You know, I already responded to this once. If you want to see, it's hanging out in the Best Artist: Round 2: Poll M thread.
Quote:
Also. If this was about greatness, King Crimson would be indeed the most deserving. They are more influencial than both Metallica and The Doors. Popularity dosen't = influence.
Well that's just my opinion! (If you didn't take the hint, I'm being sarcastic).
Quote:
Metallica were important in the trash metal scene.
Really? I've never heard of the trash metal scene. Perhaps you could enlighten me.
Quote:
But King Crimson pretty much started the whole prog rock revolution. There were several artists who were very vital in influencing the genre including The Mothers of Invention and The Moody Blues.
Bill Haley started the rock revolution. What's your point?
Quote:
But it was King Crimson that defined prog.
Pink Floyd.

Quote:
And whats wrong with Elliott Smith? Sure he's nothing innovative, but he was a solid songwriter who made some great Beatles-esque tunes.
I've got nothing against Elliott. In fact, I think he's a wonderful artist. In the big picture, it's a very different story. Look at the competition.

I think your misinterpreting me. I love King Crimson and Elliott Smith. I just think that The Doors and Metallica were more important and better bands than the others.
Civic Depreciator is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #36 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Pink Floyd are the most popular prog band, sure. But thats because they hade more mainstream appeal than their peers. They were by no means the most important band to the prog movement. Not only do King Crimson surpass them in that regard, but so do Yes, Genesis and ELP.
boo boo is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #37 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Pink Floyd are the most popular prog band, sure. But thats because they hade more mainstream appeal than their peers. They were by no means the most important band to the prog movement. Not only do King Crimson surpass them in that regard, but so do Yes, Genesis and ELP.
There are a lot of people out there that would disagree with you. Look at your very own progarchives. They have like three (I don't know the exact number) Pink Floyd albums rated higher than the highest King Crimson album.

On a side not, stop accusing me of being a former member you bickered with. I said you still had crappy opinions (I didn't say you still disagreed or argued with me). And who is this "we" you speak of when you think I'm a previous member. As far as I'm concerned, your the only one accusing me of being him.
Civic Depreciator is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #38 (permalink)
Reformed Jackass
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,961
Default

Do you have an actual argument as to why The Doors and Metallica are more important? And who cares about what PA thinks? It's mainly old farts who give out 5 star rating like candy.
ProggyMan is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 PM   #39 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Thats because Pink Floyd are more popular than King Crimson, and yeah most people agree that Floyd is better, and they are. But that has nothing to do with who is more important to the genre. As far as influence on prog goes, King Crimson has the edge. Pink Floyd didn't really develop into a prog band until Atom Heart Mother, and at that point they were not very popular, nor were they considered a important name in the progressive rock scene, which was already established at that time. Thanks to who? You guessed it, King Crimson.

The Doors were great, and they are more popular and probably have a broader influence. But they didn't innovate as much as King Crimson did, nor did they introduce a lot people to a brand new genre of music.

And by "we" I mean me and sleepy jack fire drill, who checked your IP and its the same as Dons, it helps that you act an awful lot like him too.

Last edited by boo boo; 05-13-2008 at 10:21 PM.
boo boo is offline  
Old 05-13-2008, 10:12 PM   #40 (permalink)
Reformed Jackass
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,961
Default

Well boo boo, better is a bit of a stretch.
ProggyMan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.