Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Do YOU like Satan?
Yes 666 46.15%
No 777 53.85%
Voters: 1443. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #1611 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
storymilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwilliams View Post
Ive recently been getting into the beatles, and would like some specific album rec's if possible.

I Dont have any albums but have a few favorite songs to list:

Yer Blues
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
And Your Bird Can Sing
She Said She Said
Birthday
Revolution 1


It seems to me to be their darker/heavier type stuff but Im new to them so Ill let MB decide.
Um well... besides all of them?

The most popular fan favorites are probably Abbey Road and Revolver, so those might be a good place to start. I would also suggest Rubber Soul which is one of my personal favorites, and Magical Mystery Tour which I find very underrated. The White Album is interesting because it's different from a lot of their other stuff, and Sgt. Pepper's is pretty good but overrated imo.

In terms of their earlier stuff, Please Please Me and A Hard Day's Night are my favorites.

So overall I would probably suggest getting Revolver, but it might be interesting to go in chronological order, saving the best stuff for last. Or you could even try going backwards, I'd be interested to see how that turns out.

Just get them all
storymilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:21 PM   #1612 (permalink)
Lost In A Purple Haze
 
jtwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Middle Of No Where
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storymilo View Post
Um well... besides all of them?

The most popular fan favorites are probably Abbey Road and Revolver, so those might be a good place to start. I would also suggest Rubber Soul which is one of my personal favorites, and Magical Mystery Tour which I find very underrated. The White Album is interesting because it's different from a lot of their other stuff, and Sgt. Pepper's is pretty good but overrated imo.

In terms of their earlier stuff, Please Please Me and A Hard Day's Night are my favorites.

So overall I would probably suggest getting Revolver, but it might be interesting to go in chronological order, saving the best stuff for last. Or you could even try going backwards, I'd be interested to see how that turns out.

Just get them all
Sounds good to me, thank you!

I may just go backwards for the hell of it. Will probably take a while to get through though haha. But all that means is more good music!
jtwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #1613 (permalink)
Blue Bleezin' Blind Drunk
 
NumberNineDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The land of the largest wine glass (aka Lebanon)
Posts: 2,183
Default

I have the discography of Alan Parson Project, so 10 albums. Any idea from where to start?
__________________
Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do cats eat bats? Do cats eat bats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats?Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats? Do bats eat cats?

NumberNineDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #1614 (permalink)
why bother?
 
Bulldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 4,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwilliams View Post
Ive recently been getting into the beatles, and would like some specific album rec's if possible.

I Dont have any albums but have a few favorite songs to list:

Yer Blues
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
And Your Bird Can Sing
She Said She Said
Birthday
Revolution 1


It seems to me to be their darker/heavier type stuff but Im new to them so Ill let MB decide.
The White Album's my personal favourite, and four of those songs you listed are from it as well. Best to work your way towards it though as it's a bit much for a beginner. I say you try a three-pronged go to start with...

Please Please Me
Rubber Soul
Revolver

...and make your way around the rest of the discography from there.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:28 PM   #1615 (permalink)
Untalented Drummer
 
scottsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sussex, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,900
Default

Honestly though you could start anywhere in the Beatles catalogue and not be disappointed, the quality of the music is just that good.
__________________
"If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately" - Shaun Micallef.
scottsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #1616 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsy View Post
Honestly though you could start anywhere in the Beatles catalogue and not be disappointed, the quality of the music is just that good.
That it is, that it is.

I'm more partial to "Revolver" though, only because "Yellow Submarine" is a song that everyone knows and can sing along to.
Farfisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:13 PM   #1617 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
Default Looking for similar music

I recently started longboarding. I like to listen to relaxing acoustic music. Here are some things I really like to listen too. Jam Balls by Begin and Plane by Jason Mraz are songs I really enjoy.

If anyone can find similar artists like these. Or even songs you guys might listen to while longboarding, that would be great. I would really appreciate it. The really really love that Jam Balls song.
tonyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #1618 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh. View Post
Does anyone know the best Prodigy album? Oh and if Judge Jules has some sort of Album, but I cant find anything so far.
Fat Of The Land is usually held up as their opus but there are many duff tracks on there IMO. Start with Music For A Jilted Generation and go from there.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:22 PM   #1619 (permalink)
Lost In A Purple Haze
 
jtwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Middle Of No Where
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb69 View Post
I recently started longboarding. I like to listen to relaxing acoustic music. Here are some things I really like to listen too. Jam Balls by Begin and Plane by Jason Mraz are songs I really enjoy.

If anyone can find similar artists like these. Or even songs you guys might listen to while longboarding, that would be great. I would really appreciate it. The really really love that Jam Balls song.
Maybe give Jack Johnson a try.
jtwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:24 PM   #1620 (permalink)
Lost In A Purple Haze
 
jtwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Middle Of No Where
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
The White Album's my personal favourite, and four of those songs you listed are from it as well. Best to work your way towards it though as it's a bit much for a beginner. I say you try a three-pronged go to start with...

Please Please Me
Rubber Soul
Revolver

...and make your way around the rest of the discography from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsy View Post
Honestly though you could start anywhere in the Beatles catalogue and not be disappointed, the quality of the music is just that good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_lips_sink_ships View Post
That it is, that it is.

I'm more partial to "Revolver" though, only because "Yellow Submarine" is a song that everyone knows and can sing along to.
Thanks for all the info! Much appreciated!
jtwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.