Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Do YOU like Satan?
Yes 666 46.15%
No 777 53.85%
Voters: 1443. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 12:42 AM   #2271 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Default

Looking for some modern rock bands, no screaming and influenced by anything from ac/dc to heart
johnnieup123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:05 AM   #2272 (permalink)
Quad?
 
Palatable Vera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 125
Default

I kinda want to expand my Metal library a lot. Nothing too heavy. Something that sounds like Dio would be great.

Über thanks in advanced.
Palatable Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #2273 (permalink)
one big soul
 
Alfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,072
Default

If you haven't already checked them out, Mastodon are pretty much the poster boys of modern metal. Their older stuff is pretty abrasive but give these a try. They're not that similar to Dio, but they don't stray that far from the conventions of classic metal.


__________________
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:29 AM   #2274 (permalink)
Quad?
 
Palatable Vera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
If you haven't already checked them out, Mastodon are pretty much the poster boys of modern metal. Their older stuff is pretty abrasive but give these a try. They're not that similar to Dio, but they don't stray that far from the conventions of classic metal.

(Video)
(Video)
=o

Awesome.
Palatable Vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:03 AM   #2275 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palatable Vera View Post
I kinda want to expand my Metal library a lot. Nothing too heavy. Something that sounds like Dio would be great.

Über thanks in advanced.
I would go with some Iron Maiden personally. I don't know if that's a bit too pedestrian or familiar, but there the one band that reminds me most of ronnie's solo work. The album Powerslave would be perfect.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #2276 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2
Default

Mastodon is good but I found their sound got pretty stale quickly.

As far as metal goes I have been listening to Five Finger Death punch - war is the answer, Dream Theatre - Six degrees of inner turbulence and Megadeth - Endgame. All of them have some decent songs, worth checking out those albums. Also listen to Iron Maidens Brave new world if you haven't.

I have been seriously trying to expand my music collection, but between working out of town and raising two kids I haven't had much time. I have been listening to Damien Marley - welcome to jamrock, Jadakiss - the last kiss and really liking both. I am especially enjoying welcome to jamrock and I would like to listen to some more reggae, some suggestions would be great.
Dread_Knight666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #2277 (permalink)
Lost In A Purple Haze
 
jtwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Middle Of No Where
Posts: 433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread_Knight666 View Post
Mastodon is good but I found their sound got pretty stale quickly.

As far as metal goes I have been listening to Five Finger Death punch - war is the answer, Dream Theatre - Six degrees of inner turbulence and Megadeth - Endgame. All of them have some decent songs, worth checking out those albums. Also listen to Iron Maidens Brave new world if you haven't.

I have been seriously trying to expand my music collection, but between working out of town and raising two kids I haven't had much time. I have been listening to Damien Marley - welcome to jamrock, Jadakiss - the last kiss and really liking both. I am especially enjoying welcome to jamrock and I would like to listen to some more reggae, some suggestions would be great.
If Damien is the only Marley you have heard, you should check them all out. Bob, Stephen, Ziggy, Julian.. Etc there are quite a few of them.
jtwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:26 AM   #2278 (permalink)
16, so?
 
zeppy111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Africa
Posts: 630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread_Knight666 View Post
Mastodon is good but I found their sound got pretty stale quickly.

As far as metal goes I have been listening to Five Finger Death punch - war is the answer, Dream Theatre - Six degrees of inner turbulence and Megadeth - Endgame. All of them have some decent songs, worth checking out those albums. Also listen to Iron Maidens Brave new world if you haven't.

I have been seriously trying to expand my music collection, but between working out of town and raising two kids I haven't had much time. I have been listening to Damien Marley - welcome to jamrock, Jadakiss - the last kiss and really liking both. I am especially enjoying welcome to jamrock and I would like to listen to some more reggae, some suggestions would be great.
Reggae:

Black Uhuru - Red
Burning Spear - Farover
Clint Eastwood & General Saint - Two bad DJ
Don Carlos & Gold - Never Run Away
Junior Reid - Boom Shack-A-Lack
The Mighty Diamonds - Tell me Whats Wrong
Peter Tosh - Legalise It
Steel Pulse- Handsworth Revolution
Wailing Souls - Firehouse Rock
__________________


My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:16 AM   #2279 (permalink)
Lost In A Purple Haze
 
jtwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Middle Of No Where
Posts: 433
Default

Another good way to check out up and coming reggae groups is to check out the artist lists of Reggae Rising & Reggae On The River. I think one may have gotten closed down though. But they have some great bands play there! I've been in person. Good Times.
jtwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #2280 (permalink)
Engorged Member
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguitar903 View Post
Hingebound is my Hard Rock band from East Texas. We have tons of material and are about to release 3 more tracks. it wont let me post a link but just search us on google!
The thread title says "Want a band or song recommendation?" As in, do YOU want/need a recommendation? Ask here. NOT come in here and spam your band that no one asked about.
__________________
last.fm | my collection on RYM | vinyl instagram @allthatyouseeandhear
I'd love to see your signature/links too, but the huge and obnoxious ones have caused me to block all signatures.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.