Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Do YOU like Satan?
Yes 666 46.15%
No 777 53.85%
Voters: 1443. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #71 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Mordred released 'In This Life' in ninety one which was a Thrash Metal album that featured turntabilism. In fact they recruited a member on the decks specifically for their second album. This could very well be the first Nu-Metal albums (for it's sins), whilst KMFDM did'nt adopt the fusion of Metal and Electronica until 89 and although 'In This Life' is later, it is a much more orthodox album to what you were pertaining to. Ministry released 'In The Land Of Rape And Honey' in 88 which is a precursor to Sampling and guitar work. in fact we could get really pedantic and use Killing Joke as an even earlier example or again go back and use Throbbing Gristle.

If you had replied politely I may have had some more respect for you but you are obviously highly opinionated and to call my post nonsense is not really entering into the spirit of genial chat is it?

Why people have to show even the slightest aggression in reply to a differing opinion is annoying and quite frankly perplexing. Especially as we have never crossed paths on these boards. Even if I am wrong (that's conjecture) I will accept it in good grace and not call your response bullshit , nonsense and end it with a derogatory finger wagging.
Dude, that's totally and complete UNTRUE. It's all over the Internet. Saying that those bands were doing Industrial Metal 10 years prior to KMFDM is simply BS. Plain & Simple. What part of that is NOT clear & what is not nonsense about what you posted? I am not even talking Funk Metal here. I realize you are attempting to cover your tracks by getting specific with your interpretations of when and what developed by each band at exact dates that are convenient to you, but you are incorrect and most reliable sources like Allmusic for instance, make that abundantly clear. None of those bands you mentioned, save Ministry, were even around when KMFDM were conceiving of INDUSTRIAL METAL in the 80s. Skinny Puppy were light years prior to Mordred or Senser. Get a clue. You are WRONG. Period.

You are the one that replied to my post like "you know it all". Take the heat, it's your kitchen and the broth you're standing over is of your making.
whogivesaflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #72 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesaflux View Post

My personal favorite type of music currently is of a heavy nature, but is fused with electronic sequencing & synthesis. Nu-Metal (and other moderately heavy/hard styles) of real musicianship meets IDM which is pretty much something that KMFDM invented. Some people call everything with distorted guitar samples "Industrial Metal" but to me it's just so diverse in orientation with respect to infused styles that I have a hard time just "lumping" it all into one big pot. I just tend to call it "Heavy/Funky Sequenced" music.
You mentioned Nu Metal so I gave some comparisons and bands but I realise that is pointless debating with obstinate posters who seem to revel in being impolite. I have noticed that you have had a few run ins already and you don't even have fifty posts to your name. Stubborness and a lack of civility are traits that are pointless to try and argue against and I am here to talk about music and not be shouted down at because my opinion is different.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #73 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesaflux View Post
That's total BS. Better check your facts before you spout that kind of nonsense. I'll send you a "get unembarrassed card later"
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesaflux View Post
Dude, that's totally and complete UNTRUE. It's all over the Internet. Saying that those bands were doing Industrial Metal 10 years prior to KMFDM is simply BS. Plain & Simple. What part of that is NOT clear & what is not nonsense about what you posted? I am not even talking Funk Metal here...Get a clue. You are WRONG. Period.

You are the one that replied to my post like "you know it all". Take the heat, it's your kitchen and the broth you're standing over is of your making.
There you go again with that arrogant demeanour.
What is your problem?
Can you not find a less abrasive and obnoxious style of post reply?
It's not that difficult.
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #74 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
You mentioned Nu Metal so I gave some comparisons and bands but I realise that is pointless debating with obstinate posters who seem to revel in being impolite. I have noticed that you have had a few run ins already and you don't even have fifty posts to your name. Do not bother replying as you are on ignore because stubborness a lack of civility are traits that are pointless to try and argue against and I am here to talk about music and not be shouted down at because my opinion is different.

So, accurate information is not important to you. Just being polite.

NO ONE shouted you down. You attempted to correct me like a big shot with incorrect information. Now you're sore because you refuse to ACCEPT the fact that you were wrong/mistaken. This was not an opinion based invitation for discussion friend. You interjected yourself and simply made a false statement and now I am the bad guy for correcting you when it was me that you attempted to step on to begin with.<---run on sentence.
whogivesaflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #75 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Jesus, how the fuck did you manage to start an argument in a recommendations thread?



I'm trying to get more into metal and I want to start with the roots. I've got Sabbath, Judas Priest, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden and a few others. I know there was much more metal in the seventies and early eighties that existed prior to the advent of thrash. Any suggestions?
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #76 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Samson , UFO & Diamond Head are probably the main ones. Tygers Of Pan Tang and Saxon are a bit corny but fun. also Thin Lizzy especially the stuff they did with John Sykes. The Scorpions 70s stuff was heavy as fuck.

And believe it or not Whitesnake were actually a pretty decent blues rock / metal band in the late 70s early 80s.

There were a few european bands around worth an mention like Trust & Krokus although it's years since I last listened to them.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #77 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Jesus, how the fuck did you manage to start an argument in a recommendations thread?



I'm trying to get more into metal and I want to start with the roots. I've got Sabbath, Judas Priest, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden and a few others. I know there was much more metal in the seventies and early eighties that existed prior to the advent of thrash. Any suggestions?
Yep, no doubt about it. I started that one. Plain & simple.


There are several schools or sub classifications of heavy music in the field you are looking into. You mentioned at least three different types of rock and there are hundreds that could be recommended from each.

hence:

Black sabbath - Heavy Rock (they invented what would go on to become Heavy Metal but their material was almost unclassifiable. No one has ever touched Sabbath and most likely never will with respect to the absolute epitome of "Heavy Music"
Judas Priest - Heavy Metal
Alice Cooper - Hard Rock (with the Shock/Glam thing for aesthetic appeal)

Iron Maiden is certainly Metal but they were hands down the precursor to what became German Metal. I have a very good friend that was in the army stationed in Germany in the early 80s. Saxon/Maiden/Accept/Motor Head and the likes used to do shows there constantly. Maiden and Saxon both played a lot of pool in the bars where this guy hung out and as a result he got to be really good friends with a bunch of them. He has this jean jacket that's signed by every member of all those groups. Darts n Pool and lots of ale in those boot steins back in them days.

You picked the best decade in Heavy Music history so expect to be buried in great recommendations.

All of UHM suggestions are right on the money. If you want some seriously HEAVY progressive Sci Fi Metal, check out the second UFO album. If memory serves me correctly it was a near 1 hour LP and has been remastered on disc! It's killer. I don't recommend the first UFO album too much though because it's much more of garage stoner vibe. Very raw so it lacks in production value.

Have you heard the band Pentagram?
whogivesaflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 AM   #78 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Lucifer. You may also want to try the band Budgie. Their music was a little more groove led and not so heavy but they put some great albums out in the 70's. As Urbs stated many early 80's bands revisited the 'Classic' Metal sound. Examples:

Demon-The Unexpected Guest
Tank-This Means War
Diamond Head-Lightning ToThe Nations
Angel Witch-S/T
Witchfinder General-Death Penalty.

Other bands around at this time who may interest you are:

Gillan- Mr.Universe
Hawkwind-Choose Your Masques/Sonic Attack/Chronicle Of The Black Sword. (I know you are just getting into them and in the early 80's they took on a distinctly heavy sound)
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:44 AM   #79 (permalink)
Groupie
 
eggyhendrix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15
Default

You might want to check out early Led Zeppelin (communication breakdown, among others). Thats some really nice Hard Rock/Blues stuff.

On a different note, I just discovered the song "A-Punk" by Vampire Weekend. I'm particularly fond of the verse bit. Would anyone know what genre it is (Ska perhaps?) and does anyone know of any similar songs?
eggyhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #80 (permalink)
one big soul
 
Alfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,072
Default

Stuff similar to At The Drive-In would be nice. Are Sparta or The Mars Volta worth looking into?
__________________
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.