Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
art is sold for money
 
Scissorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 730
Default

it's power metal with some other influences, not darkwave. and when you list it as goth when it really isn't of course someone will tell you that it isn't
Scissorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Andover music photography's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Andover,UK
Posts: 6
Default

I was a huge Sisters of mercy fan when i was a teenager,i think the dark gloomy image really appealed to me as i was such a dark gloomy teenager
__________________
Link removed by mod. No advertising. Sorry.
Andover music photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scissorman View Post
it's power metal with some other influences, not darkwave. and when you list it as goth when it really isn't of course someone will tell you that it isn't
okay, you define goth how?
Where's the line btwn classical and baroque? It blurs. you can't pick a date, you can't say that beethoven didn't write some romantic era type pieces too.
Geez
AngelXTmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
art is sold for money
 
Scissorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Posts: 730
Default

all I'm saying that nightwish are not goth by any definition and that they aren't even close. When someone asks you which goth bands you like and you say nightwish, it is only logical for them to correct you
Scissorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Let it drip
 
Sneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,421
Default

The likes of Bauhaus, Specimen, Christian Death, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Fields of Nephilim, March Violets, Alien Sex Fiend, Danse Society and Burning Image are great. My knowledge doesnt stretch MUCH further than these bands and the likes of Joy Dvision, The Damned and Siouxsie & The Banshees - who you could say were Proto-Goth
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
The likes of Bauhaus, Specimen, Christian Death, Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, Fields of Nephilim, March Violets, Alien Sex Fiend, Danse Society and Burning Image are great. My knowledge doesnt stretch MUCH further than these bands and the likes of Joy Dvision, The Damned and Siouxsie & The Banshees - who you could say were Proto-Goth
my kind of person
AngelXTmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 55
Default

This topic made me search up Alien Sex Fiend and it's pretty good. Is this what "Goth" sounds like?
ZaborgZaloog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaborgZaloog View Post
This topic made me search up Alien Sex Fiend and it's pretty good. Is this what "Goth" sounds like?
Alien Sex Fiend are one of my favorite bands but, no, I don't find them to be particularly representative of what goth sounds like. Actually, I'd go as far as saying as a general rule all the best goth bands sound quite different from each other.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 55
Default

Well then what else would be a good starting point?
ZaborgZaloog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaborgZaloog View Post
Well then what else would be a good starting point?
Well, Alien Sex Fiend is a great starting point! As I said, they're one of my favorite bands. Their album Curse is particularly amazing. Beyond that I'd highly recommend In the Flat Field by Bauhaus, Tinderbox by Siouxsie & the Banshees, Some Girls Wander By Mistake by Sisters of Mercy, and Ashes by Christian Death.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.