Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   General Music (https://www.musicbanter.com/general-music/)
-   -   Ipod irritations... (https://www.musicbanter.com/general-music/36787-ipod-irritations.html)

Saturnine 01-29-2009 04:49 AM

Ipod irritations...
 
There is a significant downside to loading all the families music onto iTunes and transferring it to an iPod so that it can be played on a docking station.

Like a number of iPod users, I like to check out 'Most played' every now and again - get those favourite tunes blasting out.

However, since the ipod has been stuck in the docking station, my 6 year old daughter has had access to it.

Imagine my horror when picking 'Most played' as a playlist, and the first two songs out of the block are Abba's Dancing Queen and, worst of all, The Boy does Nothing by Alesha bleedin' Dixon! (36 plays! How is that possible?!)

Time to reset the play count methinks...

Anyone else suffer from this?

Dr_Rez 01-29-2009 08:47 AM

I suffer form much more than that. Apple is a bunch of greedy bastards.

1. I can not back my music up on my Ipod.
2. They change the ports constantly so docking stations will not charge them. (so they can make you buy theres)
3. Forced to use Itunes which blows.
4. Dont play Windows files simply because they have a monopoly.
5. Made there own file type because they can.

And yes I have your problem also. Although I mainly use genius and Recently Added.

Janszoon 01-29-2009 11:51 AM

Except for number three I have to say I don't understand your comments, RezZ.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RezZ (Post 587312)
1. I can not back my music up on my Ipod.

How so?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RezZ (Post 587312)
2. They change the ports constantly so docking stations will not charge them. (so they can make you buy theres)

My iPod is five years old and I've never run into this problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RezZ (Post 587312)
4. Dont play Windows files simply because they have a monopoly.

In what way do they have a monopoly? There are plenty of other MP3 players out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RezZ (Post 587312)
5. Made there own file type because they can.

Which file type are you talking about? And what's wrong with them making their own file type anyway? This also seems like kind of a funny complaint considering your point #4.

Dr_Rez 01-29-2009 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janszoon (Post 587347)
Except for number three I have to say I don't understand your comments, RezZ.


How so?

The ipod prevents you from taking music form your ipod and putting it onto a computer. There are special programs to try and get around this, but certainly do not work very efficiently.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janszoon (Post 587347)
My iPod is five years old and I've never run into this problem.

The new Ipods have different connection ports and will not charge (will play though) on almost any docking bays. My Altec Lansing bay does not work with sisters new Ipod because of this.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janszoon (Post 587347)
In what way do they have a monopoly? There are plenty of other MP3 players out there.

They own the majority of the market...Yes there are plenty of other players out there, but all hail in comparison to the almighty Ipod (in sales and such).
Quote:

Originally Posted by Janszoon (Post 587347)
Which file type are you talking about? And what's wrong with them making their own file type anyway? This also seems like kind of a funny complaint considering your point #4.

The .m4a file type. Not necessarily made by them but used with there Itunes store. This is a file that many Media Players and portable devices will not recognize. Also Itunes or anything apple will not play any Widows files such as WmA. This is the format most CD's are in, which makes it a real pain in the ass when you have to convert each one to .m4a.

anticipation 01-29-2009 04:34 PM

all you have to do is check the "don't sync this ipod automatically" button and your daughter's shit won't be on your ipod.

Akira 01-29-2009 04:36 PM

I've said it hundreds of times before, even on here, and I'll say it again.

If you own an iPod you do not need to use iTunes.

Dr_Rez 01-29-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anticipation (Post 587473)
all you have to do is check the "don't sync this ipod automatically" button and your daughter's shit won't be on your ipod.

Thats not what we are talking about. If your computer crashes and you lose all your files the Ipod will not serve as a backup device. You will have LOTS of trouble putting your music back onto the computer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToeAndno (Post 587474)
I've said it hundreds of times before, even on here, and I'll say it again.

If you own an iPod you do not need to use iTunes.

Explain, I would love to use something else.

Akira 01-29-2009 04:40 PM

^^There are many pieces of software that will let you plug in your ipod and copy the music back onto your computer.

As for not using iTunes, I've also said a lot of times that I use MediaMonkey. I do believe that the other big players will also sync ipods, but not sure which. MM far surpases these, but other people prefer other players.

anticipation 01-29-2009 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToeAndno (Post 587478)
^^There are many pieces of software that will let you plug in your ipod and copy the music back onto your computer.

i recently tried to make the ipod backwards compatible, and i lost all my music thanks to the program i used.

Akira 01-29-2009 04:43 PM

Last friday i did it again, one external drive took a fall and my other drives are at another home, so to save the wait i used one and successfully and easily got the music off onto a new drive.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:03 AM.


© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.