Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:23 AM   #21 (permalink)
Groupie
 
FreddeGredde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 19
Default

At least when talking about prog rock it seems like most people call songs "filler" when they're experimental and/or very different.

So in that case I'd say that "filler is experimental songs/segments that the band really digs and decided to include on the album, even though they realize it's different and might not appeal to most listeners". I like that kind of "filler" though, since they show more of the song-writer's personal preferences.
__________________
Watch my "32 songs in 8 minutes" acoustic medley here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm9L60YBj3s&fmt=18
FreddeGredde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,533
Default

who knows?

maybe all of our favorite songs are filler, and all the ones we hate are supposed to be the focus.

but probably not.
anticipation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 AM   #23 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

The last part of the Moonchild track off King Crimson's debut ..
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddeGredde View Post
At least when talking about prog rock it seems like most people call songs "filler" when they're experimental and/or very different.

So in that case I'd say that "filler is experimental songs/segments that the band really digs and decided to include on the album, even though they realize it's different and might not appeal to most listeners". I like that kind of "filler" though, since they show more of the song-writer's personal preferences.
Nah, if I remember correctly even the band themselves disowned that one. It's filler because it's so bland and just takes up space without contributing to the album.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,760
Default

Well, my defintion of filler is "random audio collages thrown into an album to break songs up." but hell, what do I know?
Farfisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #26 (permalink)
marquee moon
 
Roygbiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 764
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnaught View Post
If there is an exception to that statement SJ would be it, but it's not completely innocent.
i argue that cuckoo cuckoo from SJ is filler. It kills the flow of the album and isn't a good song, either. but you're right about the rest of their albums, especially all the ones that came before Feels. My goodnes where those tough to listen to, and even feels is full of filler.
Roygbiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

My definition of filler is the songs you find yourself skipping after you've heard the album 3 or 4 times.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #28 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Somewhat_Damaged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 29
Default

Filler is $$$$...anything that was put togther to "fill" an album.....Because there was so much on there contract it makes the talent disappear. It's sad because so many good bands go bad because of Record labels
__________________
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=


Something kinda sad about
The way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety? .............Maynard J K
Somewhat_Damaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
My definition of filler is the songs you find yourself skipping after you've heard the album 3 or 4 times.
That's a pretty good way of looking at it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretorden View Post
The last part of the Moonchild track off King Crimson's debut ..
Filler within a track? That could cause a time warp.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.