Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: -_-_-_-_~__~-~_-`_`-~_-`-~-~
Posts: 1,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Urg... multi-millionaire child star complaining about being oppressed...
Are you arguing that having money means that you cannot be oppressed by others? If anything, having money when you're young is bound to make people want to terrorize you more. And I'd rather a pop star sing about what they know than to regurgitate the whole "Love you, but we're from two different worlds, my lass!".
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutnuckle View Post
Are you arguing that having money means that you cannot be oppressed by others? If anything, having money when you're young is bound to make people want to terrorize you more. And I'd rather a pop star sing about what they know than to regurgitate the whole "Love you, but we're from two different worlds, my lass!".
Albeit, I agree with the last point 150%, I don't think anybody who Micheal Jackson didn't want to even be in the presence of, he had to be. It's hard to get bullied as a kid when you have security to escort the other kids out, and it's hard to have the cops kick the **** out of you when you have amazing lawyers, and are in the public eye.

Micheal Jackson definitely has been oppressed by the media, right, and by people, true. But only when he has to stick his neck out. The man essentially had a palace built for himself to isolate himself from any form of oppression. One could argue that it's because he had more oppression to avoid, but I feel that simply the fact he had that avenue of isolation is something that people really don't have.

Now, if he is to write a song about how it's difficult being famous, and isolated from the normal world, then fine. Nobody can jump on Elton John for writing Rocket Man by saying "Oh, he's not a real lonely cokehead!". However, this song is clearly trying to be MJ identifying himself as one of the "oppressed people" somehow, which is utterly ludicrous especially transposing himself among what looks to be starving children in a third world country.

The only link between Michael Jackson, and the very obviously hip-hop inspired formula of "protesting the man" that he's trying to pull off with this song is the fact he was, at one time, black. This is a very obvious a highly commercial attempt to capitalize off of the very legit, very serious feelings of black frustration that manifested in mainstream music at the time. It was obvious that throughout the eighties, and early nineties they were attempting to promote Micheal Jackson for some reason as an urban figure. It even went as far to have videos of him trashing a car with a baseball bat(Yeah, you sure show the man, Micheal, by trashing that car that you could probably afford to by the entire assembly line of for a week).

If Vanilla Ice gets flack for singing songs about being a ghetto tough thug who grew up around broken glass, and pain. I really think it's fair that MJ get the exact same for attempting to identify himself as an "oppressed people".
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 973
Default

No. Michael Jackson would have been a terrible rapper.

There is no reason for me to believe he would be anything more than awful.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
No. Michael Jackson would have been a terrible rapper.

There is no reason for me to believe he would be anything more than awful.
Is there also no reason for you to believe he would have been anything less than brilliant? Why do you think he'd be a bad rapper? The man had an insane vocal talent and an unrivaled sense of rhythm.

And myself, I liked Michael Jackson as a person and his music. I don't think people pay close enough attention to his stuff, but I get it if you aren't a fan.

As for the thread itself... it's a bit of an odd question. It's like asking if Flea could be a rapper. The answer is probably yes... but why ask that?
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
No. Michael Jackson would have been a terrible rapper.

There is no reason for me to believe he would be anything more than awful.
I'll bet if he rapped int he 90's you'd have sucked his ****.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
I'll bet if he rapped int he 90's you'd have sucked his ****.
Depends if he offered me Jesus Juice or not.

Quote:
Is there also no reason for you to believe he would have been anything less than brilliant? Why do you think he'd be a bad rapper? The man had an insane vocal talent and an unrivaled sense of rhythm.

And myself, I liked Michael Jackson as a person and his music. I don't think people pay close enough attention to his stuff, but I get it if you aren't a fan.

As for the thread itself... it's a bit of an odd question. It's like asking if Flea could be a rapper. The answer is probably yes... but why ask that?
I don't see his voice or vocals translating well into the rap genre. I didn't like MJ as a person or really care for his music.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

I dunno man. His collaborations with Biggie Smalls were great, and his vocals come very close to rap in a lot of his music.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 16
Default

No chance, he didnt have the demeanor or understanding. His voice was too boyish, it never wouldve worked. and even if it did..he wouldnt have been an ounce of what he was
MikelMashjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.