Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2
Default The future of Music? (big question)

Hey,

Just wondering what way you guys see music going into the future? I know its a completely wide open question but I'd love to hear your thoughts
__________________
"It's hard kicking someone out, gotta wait awhile, it can be an unpleasant task"
Musicnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Your on Musicbanter, surely this question has been asked a million times before here.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supernatural anaesthetist
 
Dotoar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Örebro, Sweden
Posts: 434
Default

Music is just a passing fad. It isn't even ranked that high among those who know.
__________________
- More is more -
Dotoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotoar View Post
Music is just a passing fad. It isn't even ranked that high among those who know.
haaaaaa thats so funny. Bookmarking that now.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicnative View Post
hey,

just wondering what way you guys see music going into the future? I know its a completely wide open question but i'd love to hear your thoughts
42.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicnative View Post
Hey,

Just wondering what way you guys see music going into the future? I know its a completely wide open question but I'd love to hear your thoughts
But seriously, it is a very broad question. Do you mean what will be the mainstream trends, where we'll explore sonically (etc)? Could you narrow it down maybe?
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Well, mainstream has been playing it extremely conservatively recently. Generally, only pushing pretty girl, and boy pop acts, and cliche riskless hip-hop. My theory is that the music industry itself has had a massive chunk taken out of it's ass due to it's inability to control/compete with the Internet.

People are sitting on their computers, and not going out and seeing shows. So, music will become more, and more, studio focused. Live shows more focused on repeating what's heard in recordings as a duplication(more pre-sampling), and apart from the biggest of money making acts, music will become even more regional.

Personalities will sell more than units so focus on building the personalities behind music will continue. Remember, most of the music loving audience has turned to the Internet for it's eclecticism, and ability to allow one to seek his or her own individual niche. Record producers need to push acts that are "easy to listen to"(IE... Incredibly simple yet incredibly over-produced) that are paired with an assisting set of visuals so the listener feels he or she actually understands what the music is "saying" better.

Themes will be generally inoffensive from a political/social point of view. Taking safe viewpoints that attack collectively unpopular. Most of these pop stars will pretend to be 15 year old girls even in their mid to late twenties. It'll all be about image, selling, and image.

Essentially, we'll have more, and more, and more Britney Spears of the future. Music not focused on mentally stimulating, but creating a sort of spontaneously impulsive, inoffensively undynamic, safely predictable set of repetitions that immediately catch the listener not forcing the listener to listen all too hard.

The industry is going to crash even further down, but it's not all bad. The best bands going now rarely charge 25+$ for tickets, and the potential for regional more communal music communities grows as the mainstream - terrified of losing it's throne - sticks to the safest most conservative money making formulas.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Well, mainstream has been playing it extremely conservatively recently. Generally, only pushing pretty girl, and boy pop acts, and cliche riskless hip-hop. My theory is that the music industry itself has had a massive chunk taken out of it's ass due to it's inability to control/compete with the Internet.

People are sitting on their computers, and not going out and seeing shows. So, music will become more, and more, studio focused. Live shows more focused on repeating what's heard in recordings as a duplication(more pre-sampling), and apart from the biggest of money making acts, music will become even more regional.

Personalities will sell more than units so focus on building the personalities behind music will continue. Remember, most of the music loving audience has turned to the Internet for it's eclecticism, and ability to allow one to seek his or her own individual niche. Record producers need to push acts that are "easy to listen to"(IE... Incredibly simple yet incredibly over-produced) that are paired with an assisting set of visuals so the listener feels he or she actually understands what the music is "saying" better.

Themes will be generally inoffensive from a political/social point of view. Taking safe viewpoints that attack collectively unpopular. Most of these pop stars will pretend to be 15 year old girls even in their mid to late twenties. It'll all be about image, selling, and image.

Essentially, we'll have more, and more, and more Britney Spears of the future. Music not focused on mentally stimulating, but creating a sort of spontaneously impulsive, inoffensively undynamic, safely predictable set of repetitions that immediately catch the listener not forcing the listener to listen all too hard.

The industry is going to crash even further down, but it's not all bad. The best bands going now rarely charge 25+$ for tickets, and the potential for regional more communal music communities grows as the mainstream - terrified of losing it's throne - sticks to the safest most conservative money making formulas.
This sounds less like a prediction and more like just a description of how things are right now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
No Shirt
 
Husky McDump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
This sounds less like a prediction and more like just a description of how things are right now.
I don't see the current trends changing anytime soon.
__________________
not everyone can make it to the pros,
some rise to the top, others down low.
Husky McDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emsanders View Post
I don't see the current trends changing anytime soon.
Exactly.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.