Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 139
Default

One of my pet peeves is people confusing the terms "slow" and "melodic". People automatically think since something is slow, its melodic. Melodic only means the song has definite melody. It could be upbeat or slow. There are plenty of examples of melodic fast songs just as there examples of slow songs that are not very melodic.

I guess I can also say that I hate 95% of modern rock. They all have the same sound and characteristics to me. That's just my opinion. I've tried listening to them on the radio and I can't make it through a whole song. Nickelback, staind, 3days grace, shinedown= All the same IMO. Although I DO like 3 doors down kind of, at least their first album.

That's all I've got right now. Lol
Pursuingchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,425
Default

This one isn't necessarily about music, more the listening public:

I get annoyed when people make an effort to listen to albums that they know they won't like (such as Rick Ross / Green Day) and then slate the album. Why bother? There's so much music out there that you will miss if you listen to popular artists just so you can tell people how much you thought it sucked and how your opinion is more valid because of it.

Also annoys me when people listen to an album 10 times and still say "I'm not getting it yet" - Why bother? You don't like it, that's fine.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:23 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Also annoys me when people listen to an album 10 times and still say "I'm not getting it yet" - Why bother? You don't like it, that's fine.
I can't speak for anyone else but for me it sometimes takes a few listens for an album to click. Sometimes albums I struggled to get into at first become favorites and sometimes albums I liked right away have very little staying power.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,425
Default

Yeah, that's why I said 10 times. I understand listening to an album two or three times (providing you think it's worthwhile) but not much more than that.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Yeah, that's why I said 10 times. I understand listening to an album two or three times (providing you think it's worthwhile) but not much more than that.
Haha. I'll be honest: It took me about 20 listens to understand Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, but it paid off, I've now been a huge Beatles fans for years. My entry-album into the world of Bob Dylan was Another Side.., and who knows how long I had to listen to it before getting it. I even hated harmonica before I started checking him out, and now he's my favourite solo artist. Sometimes I can just feel that there is something worth exploring, even if I can't understand it yet, and so I can keep trying for a month, a year, and even more. I seem to have become better at deciding faster the last year or two, though, or I have lost some patience. After all, there is so much music out there to be discovered!

My pet peeve currently is how there seems to be no RYM or BestEverAlbums for Asian music. I love sites like that, and to hunt around the internet for interesting Asian music can be a pain in the ass in comparison.

Also, there's a definite lack of guitars in the western top 40. Unlike in supercute j-pop, where guitar solos and riffs seem to flourish even when you want to puke from all the kawaii.
Cinnamonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,425
Default

I don't think it should take 20 listens to decide if you like an album, especially one as instantly impressionable as Sgt. Peppers.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
I don't think it should take 20 listens to decide if you like an album, especially one as instantly impressionable as Sgt. Peppers.
I think it just depends. I didn't like Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age at all the first time I heard it. But I had this friend who was constantly playing it, and after hearing it so many times (not sure how many, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 20), I started really liking it. It happens that way sometimes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
I don't think it should take 20 listens to decide if you like an album, especially one as instantly impressionable as Sgt. Peppers.
Well, at the time I only liked a few early Beatles songs, and thought the latter half of their career was so weird. They were the first 60s band I ever checked out as well. Well, I should be glad I'm this slow in learning to appreciate, as the few albums that have been instant likes with me have seriously faded from glory not too long afterwards. A perfect example is Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos.
Cinnamonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I think it just depends. I didn't like Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age at all the first time I heard it. But I had this friend who was constantly playing it, and after hearing it so many times (not sure how many, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to 20), I started really liking it. It happens that way sometimes.
I appreciate that and I don't doubt that repeated plays would change your opinion on an album, I just think that it's not worth the effort when there's so much music out there. I would love to eventually get into the new Animal Collective album, but I really don't see the point listening to it another three or four times when it's entirely likely that I just don't really like it that much. Even if I did eventually end up loving it I will probably have missed out on the opportunity to discover two or three albums I love instead.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
I appreciate that and I don't doubt that repeated plays would change your opinion on an album, I just think that it's not worth the effort when there's so much music out there. I would love to eventually get into the new Animal Collective album, but I really don't see the point listening to it another three or four times when it's entirely likely that I just don't really like it that much. Even if I did eventually end up loving it I will probably have missed out on the opportunity to discover two or three albums I love instead.
Well, why not? I don't think it's always necessary to devour music like a bowl full of M&Ms. Sometimes the slow route is more fulfilling. I love the fact that there's so much music so easily available these days, but I do think a real downside to that is that people blow through music too quickly at times.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.