Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Who's better?
Prince (1999, Purple Rain, Sign O' the Times, Dirty Mind) 43 49.43%
Michael Jackson (Off The Wall,Thriller,Bad) 44 50.57%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM   #91 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaximus View Post
That's hilarious. By your logic, it is impossible for anyone to be weird. Ever.

Gotcha.

He is weird to you because you don't perceive his interests or behavior as "normal" but the truth is everyone defines normal differently.

Everyone doesn't behave or act the way you do.

So you mean to tell me everyone that is different from you, you call weird?

I don't call people I don't understand "weird".

Instead I try to take the time to understand them.

Last edited by Soulflower; 01-30-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:57 PM   #92 (permalink)
Trolier Than Thou
 
Forward To Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
This is an easy victory for Prince in my opinion. His best makes Michael Jackson's best kind of embarrassing.



Seriously? You really think beat-boxing with your mouth requires more creativity than being a multi-instrumentalist?
What creativity is involved in being a musician? I always thought that was the physical aspect of being a recording artist, whereas creativity is more of the cerebral aspect of it, since you're creating music, you're creating lyrics, melodies, etc.
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #93 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaximus View Post
Well, it's pretty well established by this point that you're a Mike apologist, and that's fine, but you clearly have not watched many prince concerts. You can be an amazing dancer without choreographing "routines" or having background dancers dancing in sync with you. James Brown is a perfect example (ever see him dance?). Mike was definitely all about the routine and he was the best at that, hands down.

Prince was an amazing dancer in his prime, but his focus was on the music and the show as a whole, with a cast of other characters. Mike was all about Mike, which is fine. To each their own.
You obviously prefer Prince and thats fine.... because there is no way no how Prince was a great dancer like you are implying lol

Ive seen his concerts and his dancing mostly consists of splits (in his prime of course but he eventually stopped that because of his hip surgery around the 90s) and he is no where on the same level as far as showmanship/dancing as Jame Brown.

Like I said I love Prince... probably not as much as MJ lol but I do love and respect him greatly. I collect his music and watch his videos and concerts etc. I am actually really upset because I REALLY want to go see him at Essence but it's all booked.

MJ apologist? What exactly do you mean by that? I can still be a MJ fan and still like other artists. What does that have to do with this discussion? I am just tired of people minimizing MJ's abilities and casting him as just an entertainer when he wasn't JUST that. He was an ARTIST, he was a SONGWRITER, he was a PRODUCER, he played INSTRUMENTS, he was INNOVATIVE, he was ARTISTIC, he was a VISIONARY. I am tired of people categorizing him into a box just because he didn't play 50 million instruments.


How do you know that I have never seen a Prince concert or watched any of his concerts?

Also, there is PLENTY of footage of MJ on stage BY HIS SELF entertaining the crowd. So please stop with the "he needed back up dancers and routines"

Clearly you have not seen a MJ concert or a concert where he was with his brothers. All his moves he did in concert when he was on stage by his self were not "rehearsed" and actually were free styled.

Michaels focus was on his MUSIC, PERFORMANCES and MUSIC VIDEOS collectively.

Prince primary focus was on his MUSIC which is why his music videos are not that good. Also, Prince is good but he has some filler music especially over this last decade. I am not sure what has happened with his music.

Last edited by Soulflower; 01-29-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #94 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
What creativity is involved in being a musician? I always thought that was the physical aspect of being a recording artist, whereas creativity is more of the cerebral aspect of it, since you're creating music, you're creating lyrics, melodies, etc.

Exactly...


Just because you are a musician doesn't necessarily make you creative or even artistic.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #95 (permalink)
blasphemous krucifixxxion
 
Crowquill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: seattle
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
What creativity is involved in being a musician? I always thought that was the physical aspect of being a recording artist, whereas creativity is more of the cerebral aspect of it, since you're creating music, you're creating lyrics, melodies, etc.
I was speaking in the context of the debate (Prince v. Michael Jackson) and I stand by what I said. Prince's ability to compose on multiple instruments far outstrips Michael Jackson's supposed beat box symphonies. I don't think there's even a competition between the musicality of the two but arguing Michael Jackson's way is more "creative" is glorifying laziness.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigal_son View Post
Yes. I believe that the older acts should be given a slot at the Superbowl Halftime show. It is blasphemy..where is the love for the reunion of Creed, and Nickelback is about to have their 12th anniversary of 'Silver Side Up'

#veteransdeserverespect
Crowquill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #96 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
If you can compose music on multiple instruments, even one instrument, that's more creativity than making retarded spitting noises in the attempt to imitate drums. Sorry. Unless you can provide videos showcasing Michael Jackson's beat box symphonies pretty sure that's always going to be a category that Prince wins in.

Well I already stated that Prince is obviously the better musician.

I mean that kinda goes without saying lol

However

I just find it more fascinating how people can use other things besides instruments to come up with composition and sound. Everyone can not do that in a creative and artistic way.


Prince is obviously a very creative and artistic artist.

However

I have seen many musicians that I didn't think were that creative so being a musician does not necessarily make someone more creative than someone who isn't.







If you guys are going to watch the video can you please watch the entire video before making your opinion? lol Pretty please even if you don't like MJ. I think it is important because he goes into details how he makes his songs. Here are some different clips of MJ beat boxing and coming up with sounds.


I don't know about anyone else here but I think its very cool how someone can come up with compositions to their songs by using their mouth which requires creativity and a sense of sound, timing, and other things a musician also has to consider as well when composing a song.

I personally think that requires talent to do and is much more intricate than just "retarded" spitting as you say.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #97 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I was speaking in the context of the debate (Prince v. Michael Jackson) and I stand by what I said. Prince's ability to compose on multiple instruments far outstrips Michael Jackson's supposed beat box symphonies. I don't think there's even a competition between the musicality of the two but arguing Michael Jackson's way is more "creative" is glorifying laziness.

How is that glorifying laziness??????

I think it is glorifying a new way to come up with sound and composition.

You do not necessarily need an instrument to do that.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #98 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Prince asked me to post this for the people naysaying his moves:

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #99 (permalink)
Trolier Than Thou
 
Forward To Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I was speaking in the context of the debate (Prince v. Michael Jackson) and I stand by what I said. Prince's ability to compose on multiple instruments far outstrips Michael Jackson's supposed beat box symphonies. I don't think there's even a competition between the musicality of the two but arguing Michael Jackson's way is more "creative" is glorifying laziness.
You could argue that it's more creative because it's improvising. No one's saying his way of coming up with melody or rhythm is more creative, but calling Prince more creative because he can play an instrument, as you're implying, is like calling Thom Yorke a better athlete than Michael Jordan because he wrote Kid A.
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #100 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Prince asked me to post this for the people naysaying his moves:


Thats not even worth comparing to Michael Jackson dancing talent.

Prince is a performer not a dancer...yea there is a difference.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.