Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Who's better?
Prince (1999, Purple Rain, Sign O' the Times, Dirty Mind) 43 49.43%
Michael Jackson (Off The Wall,Thriller,Bad) 44 50.57%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #71 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaximus View Post
Both amazing talents, both freaky weird individuals.

Couple points after reading the thread...

Anyone who thinks the difference between MJ and Prince as far as dance moves is significant has never seen any Prince shows from the 80's.

Prince is a multi-instrumentalist and an absolute beast on guitar and vocals. Mike was a great singer and they're both great songwriters.

It's tough for younger folks to get Prince sometimes. He was done putting out hits by the early 90's whereas Michael stayed in the public eye a lot longer.

They both understood the spectacle of the live show and both had innovative and amazing shows, but...gotta give the nod to Prince as far as stage show. Check out Sign o' The Times for reference. A lot of folks think Prince is Purple Rain because that's where a bunch of his hits came from.

Yeah, they're both weird, but in interviews, Prince (usually) comes off as a thoughtful cat. Michael...just kinda strange, unless you go all the way back to the Thriller era. Something...happened...with him, even before he tried to be white. We'll never know.

Both geniuses, and really on their own separate pedestals in the pantheon of pop music.

I go with Prince by a tad because he was the complete artist and multi-instrumentalist and his live shows were better than...well...anyone's.

I LOVEEE Prince but I have to disagree with this.

Prince was not a natural dancer. He mostly did splits and his performances were sexually charged. I am not knocking him but I wouldn't call that "dancing"

Michael did intricate footwork, intricate choreography, came up with iconic dance moves and did different styles of dance.. i.e. tap, jazz, hip hop etc.

He is the best pop male dancer of all time. The man had NO FORMAL training. Ive never seen a dancer move the way he did.

Prince does not compete with him on the dance floor and Michael was a MUCH better singer than Prince... I like Prince singing but just saying.

Dont get me wrong, Prince is a GREAT performer but if we are just talking about dancing skills... he is not even in the same conversation as MJ in reference to that

Last edited by Soulflower; 01-27-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #72 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Default

I like both artist but Prince always had more of a sophisticated funk to his sound more so than Jackson did. Prince added more of sexual flavor to his music as well. The closest thing Jackson ever had in comparison to Prince is Blood on the Dance Floor.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #73 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Prince is definitly more funkier of the two
but

Michael had more funkier tunes with his brothers as "The Jackson's". You should check out albums like "Triumph", "The Jackson's", "Goin Places" or "Destiny"

Michael could definitly get funky and gritty with the vocals and his production. Check this out...




Michael cuttin up on this and when I mean cuttin up.... I mean getting down, dirty and funky! lol I can not stand Joe Jackson but he had their production, songwriting down to the T during this era. And that Motown polished sound is not there with those albums . They definitly got more funkier.

Also, Off The Wall had alot of funk elements as well. Get On The Floor is FUNKY like I dont know what lol

I think MJ tried to go back to his R&B roots with Invincible I would have loved to see him do more funk too.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #74 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: freely swimmin thru the waters of glory much like a majestic bald eagle soars thru the skies
Posts: 1,385
Default

from a non music standpoint these 2 are such a weird group of ppl


jacko was a child molester (alleged but cmon)
and prince has been a totally self absorbed prick pretty much forever
butthead aka 216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:01 PM   #75 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

I dont know why people label people simply because they don't "understand". I think its easier for us to sit back and judge someone who has been performing since five or someone who has been playing multiple instruments since grade school. Alot of people do not know that Prince also had an abusive father and a bad childhood too. That possibly has something to do with his arrogance who knows? Prince is very protective of his music.


I think MJ was a fasctinating human being and I am still fascinated by his personality and talent. He was a very sweet man. He was exploited for money because he would try to help families of children who were very ill and they unfortunately took advantage of that. Michael never had a childhood and sought these children and animals as companions because they never judged him and because he was trying to re-live his childhood. He probably should have had psychological counseling for his childhood trauma but the point is those actions were harmless and not criminal like the media makes it. There was nothing weird about him. He was unique.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #76 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
Prince is definitly more funkier of the two
but

Michael had more funkier tunes with his brothers as "The Jackson's". You should check out albums like "Triumph", "The Jackson's", "Goin Places" or "Destiny"

Michael could definitly get funky and gritty with the vocals and his production. Check this out...




Michael cuttin up on this and when I mean cuttin up.... I mean getting down, dirty and funky! lol I can not stand Joe Jackson but he had their production, songwriting down to the T during this era. And that Motown polished sound is not there with those albums . They definitly got more funkier.

Also, Off The Wall had alot of funk elements as well. Get On The Floor is FUNKY like I dont know what lol

I think MJ tried to go back to his R&B roots with Invincible I would have loved to see him do more funk too.
Thats a good point and I'm glad you brought it up, I never hold the Jackson 5 into consideration when discussing music concerning Michael solo career. I agree with you as well concerning his Off the Wall album too. I've always wanted to cover the bass guitar on some of the Jackson 5 singles playing the old Motown classics.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #77 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

No problem!

Not sure if you know this but "The Jackson 5" and "The Jacksons" are slightly different

Alot of people confuse The Jackson 5 with the The Jacksons. They are two seperate groups. When the Jacksons left Motown and went to Epic Records they had to change their name because Motown owned The Jackson 5 name. They switched labels and changed their name to "The Jacksons" Jermaine Jackson left the group and stayed at Motown because he married Berry Gordy's daughter and didn't want to cause conflict with him because Motown really did not want the Jacksons to leave. Randy Jackson replaced him when they became The Jacksons on Epic Records.


The Jackson 5 and The Jacksons are technically the same group except Jermaine is no longer in it and Randy replaces him. Also, their Jacksons material is alot more mature and has more depth. Its the Jackson 5 as the young adults so to speak. lol They also had more artistic control. They all contributed to the songwriting, arrangement, instrumentation and production unlike when they were with Motown.

Michael and his brothers did not want to leave Motown but their father pushed them to because he said they should be writing and producing their own music. Joe was a horrible father but that was the best career move he did for them. Michael grew tremendously as a songwriter as well as Randy and Jackie as a result.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #78 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
There was nothing weird about him. He was unique.
You can be both, and he was.

If you want to believe none of the kids' stories, then I guess you can stay on the "not weird" island. Maayyyyybe.
tmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #79 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaximus View Post
You can be both, and he was.

If you want to believe none of the kids' stories, then I guess you can stay on the "not weird" island. Maayyyyybe.

I think I will stay on the "not weird" island as you say because unlike you I don't succumb to the "group think" mentality and I also don't label people that I don't know personally.


He was weird to YOU because you define normal differently and your expectations is that he should be "normal" based off how YOU define normal and the reality is EVERYONE does not live their life based on how YOU define normal


You wasn't a child star at 5, grew up in the spotlight, never had a childhood, or had an abusive father. You do not have a right to label someone as weird when you have not experienced any of those things and especially if you do not know the person personally.

Its ignorant and judgmental just like our society.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #80 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Oh come on now. Are you denying that he was eccentric? That is a fact not a matter of perception.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.