Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #21 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWGUY562 View Post
That's the only album by her I recognized and listened through..maybe I'm missing out on something else.
Do you agree with this?
Do you really think she'd be considered one of the best female singers of all time based on one album?
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
NEWGUY562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Do you really think she'd be considered one of the best female singers of all time based on one album?
Lady Soul and maybe one more album but I seriously don't know her music well enough to further discuss this. If you're familiar with her work then recommend me a song or album to check out ..This is her best song as far as I'm concerned (and from the little I heard)

Aretha Franklin-Until You Come Back To Me - YouTube
NEWGUY562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 3,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWGUY562 View Post
You've said some **** earlier that I agree with but you took a step forward then 2 steps back as I expected. Smh Shame on you...Off The Wall was a decent disco album with some major hits but it had 4 duds and was a 10 song album (so only 6 songs worth listening to) so that's all that needs to be said about that.
Yeah i'll see if i can muster any caring for what you think next before posting. I think Off The Wall was his only saving grace so we certainly do disagree. I'll take those 4 duds you speak of and you can have thriller and beat it.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWGUY562 View Post
Lady Soul and maybe one more album but I seriously don't know her music well enough to further discuss this. If you're familiar with her work then recommend me a song or album to check out ..This is her best song as far as I'm concerned (and from the little I heard)
If you've heard her sing, even if it's only a couple of albums and you don't get why she's considered one of the best then I really don't see that you'll be able to get it no matter what I throw at you. Forget albums, forget singles just listen to the voice.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #25 (permalink)
Left due to ban epidemic
 
CrazyVegn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 494
Default

Too lazy to see what all that list consists of, but I disagree with anything super positive about the Beatles which has angered a lot of people. I don't hate them by any means, but don't care for their sound. Too happy (even their sad songs). Not enough bass, groove, smoothness, depth or production IMO. Sounds raw or live like a lot of Elvis' stuff probably because it was before a lot of technology. If I had my own list I would put Elvis probably in top 10 objectively bc I don't consider myself a fan of his but I recognize it IS / WAS good perhaps because he was accused of copying many unknown black artists in the day. In order to be objectively fair I would have to also include the Beatles bc I recognize hard work, creativity, and melodious talent there. A private list of mine would not include either, though.
CrazyVegn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #26 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
NEWGUY562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
If you've heard her sing, even if it's only a couple of albums and you don't get why she's considered one of the best then I really don't see that you'll be able to get it no matter what I throw at you. Forget albums, forget singles just listen to the voice.
She has a awesome voice but so does Amy Winehouse/ Sade...That doesn't mean they deserve to be on the list either. (They aren't) It's not always about the voice..Bob Dylan is number 2 on the list and his voice isn't the prettiest thing we've heard. (It's the power behind words that hit home with me.)
NEWGUY562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Do you really think all those albums are listed for the same reason?
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #28 (permalink)
Left due to ban epidemic
 
CrazyVegn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 494
Default

I have a hard time appreciating Bob Dylan as well (just got a 2nd glance @ that link and saw him there). If it wasn't for the harmonica @ the end of Don't Think Twice It's All Right I might love that song even despite his voice.
CrazyVegn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 3,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWGUY562 View Post
She has a awesome voice but so does Amy Winehouse/ Sade...That doesn't mean they deserve to be on the list either. (They aren't) It's not always about the voice..Bob Dylan is number 2 on the list and his voice isn't the prettiest thing we've heard. (It's the power behind words that hit home with me.)
Yeah but they didn't have a career that spanned 50 years with 17 top ten singles either. You don't have 17 top ten singles without great records and that great voice you speak of.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #30 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
NEWGUY562's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Do you really think all those albums are listed for the same reason?
Which albums in the list did you feel deserve to be higher/lower?
NEWGUY562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.