Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkofthechildren View Post
These are like dodos, a rare species. Why do people think this is? Is it because most artists usually come from a poor background which makes them sympathetic and leftist/liberal in thinking? Or is it because young people buy music, young people are more progressive and as you grow older, you get more conservative in thinking, and so the music and its content parallels young peoples way of thinking? I am intrigued. There are many more explanations.
I'm not so sure I agree with the idea that most artists come from a poor background but that's neither here nor there. I think the answer to your question has to do with the fact that conservative people tend to favor the status quo and frown on things that are edgy or envelope-pushing. And since envelope-pushing and experimentation are such a big part of art, conservatives generally, by their very nature, self-select out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not so sure I agree with the idea that most artists come from a poor background but that's neither here nor there. I think the answer to your question has to do with the fact that conservative people tend to favor the status quo and frown on things that are edgy or envelope-pushing. And since envelope-pushing and experimentation are such a big part of art, conservatives generally, by their very nature, self-select out.
I don't have statistics to back it up but I think they do. But Im being specific too music and not any other art form. I think musical artists tend to come from a poorer background, and a lot of the time, its about image aswell. Can you imagine a rock band formed in a high class private school? They'd be ridiculed if they were too release music.

Its also the fact that the poorer you are, the more likely you would start a band or go into music because there for more less options out for you. This indirectly increases the pool of artists.
Thinkofthechildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,739
Default

Well, isn't all rock music rooted in the idea of rebellion? Fifties rockers were rebelling against their parents' music, (among lots of other things), seen as dull boring and pedestrian with little or no fire, and each new generation just kind of picks up the torch as it goes along, like an almost century-long relay race. You usually rebel against the status quo, the natural order, so it stands to reason that since right-wing/conservatives normally want to preserve the sq that rock bands would rebel against them.

Totally simplistic I know, but it's late and I'm an old man; I need my sleep!
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkofthechildren View Post
I don't have statistics to back it up but I think they do. But Im being specific too music and not any other art form. I think musical artists tend to come from a poorer background, and a lot of the time, its about image aswell. Can you imagine a rock band formed in a high class private school? They'd be ridiculed if they were too release music.

Its also the fact that the poorer you are, the more likely you would start a band or go into music because there for more less options out for you. This indirectly increases the pool of artists.
Blur - Goldsmiths College
Radiohead - Abingdon School
Vampire Weekend - Columbia University
Hell, even members of Minor Threat and many of the early DC hardcore scenesters went to high school at a semi-elite private school called Georgetown Day School.

I'm sure the list of musicians educated in "high class" institutions goes on and on..
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Well, isn't all rock music rooted in the idea of rebellion? Fifties rockers were rebelling against their parents' music, (among lots of other things), seen as dull boring and pedestrian with little or no fire, and each new generation just kind of picks up the torch as it goes along, like an almost century-long relay race. You usually rebel against the status quo, the natural order, so it stands to reason that since right-wing/conservatives normally want to preserve the sq that rock bands would rebel against them.

Totally simplistic I know, but it's late and I'm an old man; I need my sleep!
But on the other hand conservatism is about small government & private enterprise which feeds into the whole punk DIY ethic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Blur - Goldsmiths College
Radiohead - Abingdon School
Vampire Weekend - Columbia University
Hell, even members of Minor Threat and many of the early DC hardcore scenesters went to high school at a semi-elite private school called Georgetown Day School.

I'm sure the list of musicians educated in "high class" institutions goes on and on..
Pink Floyd especially.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
Blur - Goldsmiths College
Radiohead - Abingdon School
Vampire Weekend - Columbia University
Hell, even members of Minor Threat and many of the early DC hardcore scenesters went to high school at a semi-elite private school called Georgetown Day School.

I'm sure the list of musicians educated in "high class" institutions goes on and on..
Indeed. Add members of the Clash and Television to the list as well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 135
Default

Well, Clash and Blur were ridiculed.
Thinkofthechildren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkofthechildren View Post
Well, Clash and Blur were ridiculed.
I don't really like either of those bands either. But they didn't exactly get booed off the stage for being educated (well maybe Blur did, I didn't closely follow that whole britpop thing).

Anyway, I forgot one of the more relevant ones (and one of my personal favorites), Steve Albini, who formed Big Black while attending Northwestern University. Granted it was just him and a drum machine at the time.

He's a good example of a musician with a high class education and, while he didn't align with the in-your-face right wingers in punk rock at the time, he was decidedly not a lefty.

But if your point is that there are more lefty musicians because there are more poor, uneducated people in the world who had few options in life besides becoming professional musicians... I don't think that's sound logic.
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Only Strummer went to an exclusive school. The rest of the Clash went to art school, and in the 60s & 70s any idiot from any background could go to art school in the UK, there was nothing exclusive about it.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
Only Strummer went to an exclusive school. The rest of the Clash went to art school, and in the 60s & 70s any idiot from any background could go to art school in the UK, there was nothing exclusive about it.
Strummer would be the member I was referring to. But as far as I'm aware it's not like the rest of the band grew up in poverty.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.